Scavenger

2006 R53 Refresh/Restoration - Interior

So, this year I've done a lot of work on B.A. to get him back in good condition. After 15 years and 130K miles, a MINI is going to need some work. I wanted to capture it all here. Maybe this information will be helpful to others. Particular first gen owners.

There were several issues that I wanted to fix, two main ones being 1. fix sagging headliner 2. stop water in the boot.  A few other things got taken care of also. The first thing was to completely strip out the interior.

IMG_1029.thumb.jpg.025de333c888252312ffff66b33099ed.jpg

AH! The inside is on the outside!

IMG_1069.thumb.jpg.06b02a0cecffd842c1b028510fdd2b7e.jpg

IMG_1027.thumb.jpg.482ecccaf0aa57c716571947e20079a3.jpg

I took the headliner to a local upholstery shop to be redone, they did a great job.

IMG_1068.thumb.jpg.9980ea48f59bf34640a1df1a2e0cf4f3.jpg

This was a good opportunity to do a deep clean of the interior. Also, I replaced a few broken clips, fixed the emergency release handle for the gas filler, and rerouted my satnav antenna wire. As for the water problem, I discovered that one of the sunroof drains wasn't securely connected, so I fixed that as well which seems to have solved the problem. I've tested with a pressure washer and no leaks! Finally, both of the sun visor mirror flaps were broken, I tried to fix them, but couldn't - they might be the worst designed part on the car!  I ordered new ones (not cheap) and it was worth it to have those working again.

IMG_1087.thumb.jpg.54197c40f62d783eb2f3a4d83ebe9709.jpg

The next thing before putting it all back together was to replace the tired factory speakers.  I'll do a separate thread on that.

Equipment List:

Interior Panel Clips (The yellow ones)

Sun Visors Left & Right

Edited by Scavenger
Add equipment list
  • Like 3

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

yeah, the visors. 
I bought a used pair from someone thinking I could somehow stiffen the springs and get enough parts together for one good pair. 

They aren't really designed to be serviced.  Thanks for the links. 

It's good to hear you got the sunroof drains running properly.  That'll save you a lot of problems. 

06 SB/S MCS Checkmate, Premium,

Convenience, LSD, HK, Chrome interior ZOOM641

I think there is a way to fix the visors, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it, I managed to destroy the first one taking it apart just to determine the problem.  The sunroof drains definitely are important!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com