Mav

Aftermarket Exhaust

So im back with yet another question about parts! 

So I really dont know much about car parts in any form or fashion and usually just rely on my buddies to help me out. Im looking at getting the VPN 909 exhaust from VIPCustoms (and maybe their downpipe as well)

My questions are what the SC/SCMD and Full DP mean and what I should be getting. Emissions wise my inspection is good for 2 years and Im moving to a state that doesn't require it. But im basically at a total loss on what I should be getting. Im really only looking for a minor performance increase for a bit of a cheaper price (i know exhaust is pretty easy to install so its a bit less) but when it comes to the terms im in the dark. What do you guys have or recommend? Im also not set on this particular exhaust but I especially like it because the tip can come powder coated black and match the rest of my de-chromed look!

Do you have a link to the exhaust?  I am not sure what those mean off the top of my head either.  I would love a full exhaust but due to money concerns I was looking into having the 2nd cat and resonator removed by a local shop.  I can't right now as it puts me in a different class when I run autocross, but keeping it on my list of plans.

20 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Do you have a link to the exhaust?  I am not sure what those mean off the top of my head either.  I would love a full exhaust but due to money concerns I was looking into having the 2nd cat and resonator removed by a local shop.  I can't right now as it puts me in a different class when I run autocross, but keeping it on my list of plans.

Here's the link! https://www.vipcustomparts.com/F56 parts page.htm

So it's the NON S exhaust I'm looking at. From what I can tell it's a cat back or second cat. And the SCMD is the same but muffler delete. I'm bringing myself up to speed as fast as I can so I'm not so clueless 🤣

5 minutes ago, Mav said:

Here's the link! https://www.vipcustomparts.com/F56 parts page.htm

So it's the NON S exhaust I'm looking at. From what I can tell it's a cat back or second cat. And the SCMD is the same but muffler delete. I'm bringing myself up to speed as fast as I can so I'm not so clueless 🤣

Ok, I am no expert but looking at the systems (pics) this is what I see.  The 2nd cat is at the very beginning of the factory system (the first cat is in the bend that looks like a J that connects to all of this), right behind the 2nd cat is a resonator and of course the muffler is at the end near the back of the car. The SCMD might delete the 2nd cat, resonator and muffler, you can tell by the length of the system and its all just pipe - if it does this is will be excessively loud.  It also might be connecting up right behind the 2nd cat and resonator, so then it would be a muffler delete with just all the piping (this would explain why its not bolt in and has to be welded).  Considering the write-up on the DP, the SCMD probably leaves the 2nd cat.  The DP says it bolts up, so it definitely deletes the 2nd cat and resonator, but has 2 small mufflers/resonators in it.  So its going to be loud, hopefully not overbearing on long drives.  The SC replaces the muffler.  It is so short that it will have to be welded in.  The best answer would be to write or call them about what is deleted in each version and what the decibel range coming out is.  From what I am seeing, the DP would be the one I lean towards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garrett said:

Ok, I am no expert but looking at the systems (pics) this is what I see.  The 2nd cat is at the very beginning of the factory system (the first cat is in the bend that looks like a J that connects to all of this), right behind the 2nd cat is a resonator and of course the muffler is at the end near the back of the car. The SCMD might delete the 2nd cat, resonator and muffler, you can tell by the length of the system and its all just pipe - if it does this is will be excessively loud.  It also might be connecting up right behind the 2nd cat and resonator, so then it would be a muffler delete with just all the piping (this would explain why its not bolt in and has to be welded).  Considering the write-up on the DP, the SCMD probably leaves the 2nd cat.  The DP says it bolts up, so it definitely deletes the 2nd cat and resonator, but has 2 small mufflers/resonators in it.  So its going to be loud, hopefully not overbearing on long drives.  The SC replaces the muffler.  It is so short that it will have to be welded in.  The best answer would be to write or call them about what is deleted in each version and what the decibel range coming out is.  From what I am seeing, the DP would be the one I lean towards.

I really appreciate your help on this. I found their listings on ebay as well which seem to explain more? the SC and SCMD both are cat-back exhausts and require some cutting but otherwise "slip over the factory front section" while the DP looks almost like its just a straight pipe? (Again im super new to most this stuff) If anyone would like to take a look and let me know ill leave links for all three systems!

(SC) https://www.ebay.com/itm/VCP-2014-F56-Second-cat-back-Exhaust-System-for-Mini-Cooper-NON-S-90915-SC/192019058340?hash=item2cb53a4ea4:g:VkEAAOSwx2dYHg0S

(SCMD) https://www.ebay.com/itm/VCP-2014-F56-Second-cat-back-Exhaust-System-for-Mini-Cooper-NON-S-90915-SCMD/192105097806?hash=item2cba5b2a4e:g:zxAAAOSwMVdYHU4S

(Full DP) https://www.ebay.com/itm/VCP-2014-F56-Full-Exhaust-System-for-Mini-Cooper-NON-S-90915-DP/201709658724?hash=item2ef6d52264:g:t1UAAOSwnbZYHgyr

So just a quick update. I ended up getting the exhaust listed as "Full DP" and had it installed. I am in love with how it sounds, its surprising to me what difference a simple cat-back exhaust can make on this tiny engine. Ive tried getting some various videos for my friends but none of them can do it justice!