Coopah

Got Coopah's Rims Powder-Coated

Got Coopah's stock 17" Tentacle rims powder-coated at NV Coatings in Chantilly (great service, great price; highly recommended).  I also added the red center caps to break up the black.  Next up: gloss black door handles and OEM gloss black belt-line trim. 

IMG_2909.jpg

A couple of additional pics...IMG_2908.jpg.228d25841410a824dd6b0ddb227d247f.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

• Like 2

I've used NV Coatings a few times myself, they are excellent to work with! Just curious, what color were your rims before, did they paint the entire rim in black inside and out, take them off the tires or leave them on, and what was the price per wheel or total? I always see wheels I Iike, but would prefer them a different color, and would consider having all 4 refinished if the price is reasonable.

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

The wheels were the stock silver color. They removed the tires and sensors, did a complete chemical strip followed by a sandblast, bringing the whole rim to bare metal, repaired some minor curb rash (no extra charge), powder-coated (not paint) the entire rim (barrel and all), and remounted and rebalanced all 4 tires. Total cost with tax was right about $700. The powder coat is flawless. I dropped the car off on a Monday and it was ready before noon on Wednesday. I’m totally pleased with the job, the cost, and with NV Coatings. 👍🏼

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mav said:

Looks fantastic! Ive always loved my black rims and just did my beltline and door handles myself and im currently waiting on some more pieces to blackout the rest of mine. Those center caps really make them pop as well!

Thanks.  Did you actually replace the door handles or wrap/cover them?  If you replaced them, is it as easy as it looks in various videos?  I'm probably ordering my handles soon and will attempt to replace them myself.  Looks like the toughest part is making sure the retaining screw does not fall into the door panel.

Edited by Coopah

52 minutes ago, Coopah said:

Thanks.  Did you actually replace the door handles or wrap/cover them?  If you replaced them, is it as easy as it looks in various videos?  I'm probably ordering my handles soon and will attempt to replace them myself.  Looks like the toughest part is making sure the retaining screw does not fall into the door panel.

So I just put a cover over them since it is cheaper. But the cover snapped in place so well I dont think i even needed to use the 3m double sided tape that came with it. If they start to come off or look bad i'll definitely just replace the full handles. You should let us know how easy/difficult it is when you get around to it.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, Coopah said:

The wheels were the stock silver color. They removed the tires and sensors, did a complete chemical strip followed by a sandblast, bringing the whole rim to bare metal, repaired some minor curb rash (no extra charge), powder-coated (not paint) the entire rim (barrel and all), and remounted and rebalanced all 4 tires. Total cost with tax was right about $700. The powder coat is flawless. I dropped the car off on a Monday and it was ready before noon on Wednesday. I’m totally pleased with the job, the cost, and with NV Coatings. 👍🏼

Wow, that's a lot of work and impresses me (cost vs benefit)!  Thanks for sharing the details. Your MINI does look fantastic, too.

Definitely gonna file this NV Coating info away for future thought...

• Thanks 1

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black