Star

Brighter headlights for 2013 Roadster

I don't know if it's just me, but I headlights  on my 2013 Roadster seem very dim. I find it hard to see at night when its raining. I think I need to replace the bulbs but not sure what kind, where I should go or who I should talk to.  Any input would be helpful. 

Thanks, 

Do you have the regular lights or the Xenons? I'm guessing you probably having the regular ones, as Michael's roadster has those too and they are pretty dim compared to a lot of other lights. The only way I know to really fix the problem is to convert them to Xenon's which is expensive. You need to buy the entire light assembly and some kind of converter thing (I know that's not helpful). Another option is adding driving lights, so at least if you are driving on dark back roads, you can use those in addition to the regular lights. 

• Like 1

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

46 minutes ago, Star said:

Thanks Greencactus.  That is what my research reveals.  I am thinking about LEDs as a half step between the halogens and the Xenons.  The Xenons are close to $1k with labor and all.  

LEDs are a good price/result option if you do not want the Xenon bite to your wallet. The one issue you can gt with LEDs is you can get a failed bulb warning light. This is because MINI used resistance to determine if the light bulb has failed, LEDs have less resistance and the car thinks the bulb has burned out. The LED will work fine, you just get a warning light. They also sell in-resistors to correct the issue, or higher end LEDs have them built in. Just something to look for when shopping around.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

23 hours ago, 1975_mini said:

LEDs are a good price/result option if you do not want the Xenon bite to your wallet. The one issue you can gt with LEDs is you can get a failed bulb warning light. This is because MINI used resistance to determine if the light bulb has failed, LEDs have less resistance and the car thinks the bulb has burned out. The LED will work fine, you just get a warning light. They also sell in-resistors to correct the issue, or higher end LEDs have them built in. Just something to look for when shopping around.

Okay.  That is really good to know.  I will look at the higher end ones.  Can you recommend a mechanic for the install?

On 3/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, Star said:

Okay.  That is really good to know.  I will look at the higher end ones.  Can you recommend a mechanic for the install?

do them yourself, if you are going the LED route it is literally "plug and play". It is the same as switching out a burned out bulb. I will add a link to a step by step this evening.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels