GreenCactus

Tire Opinions?

I would like to get some opinions on tires. I have to buy new ones as the ones I was going to get from a friend are too big. :(

Here's what I know:

•  I want all-seasons (I have had a winter/summers before and while I'd love to do that again, I just don't have the $$ to commit to a new set of wheels right now)
  • I don't care about run flats. I have them now, they're fine, but I carry a plug kit anyway. If they blow out, I'm still getting towed.
  • Size 205/45R/17

They will be going on a 2016 2dr Cooper S. 

I currently have the Pirelli Centaurato P7s and I'm not a fan. I don't like how they handle.  I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S, but I'd love to hear from "real" people and not just internet reviews. 

Thanks!!

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

They get kind of chirpy after a while and don't last too long with hard driving(replaced after a year but the second ones make it through two dragons) but the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2s worked well for me on Helljumper before I got a second set of wheels. At the time there were the Tire Rack recommended ones, plus the cheapest.

IMG_0147.jpg

I've had the Continental DWSs, the Pirelli P7s, and now Michelin Premiers on my wife's Mazda 5. The Contis did not wear long enough in my opinion. The Pirellis actually got to 35,000 before I replaced them for losing wet traction. They were probably still good for 10,000 miles and sold them for $50 on FB market place! We're now on the Premiers and they are working really well. On my Clubman, I have the Pirelli P7 runflats. Dealer had to replace 2 under the Road Hazard warranty. I don't expect to get more than 25,000 miles on them. Traction has been good in all conditions. I've not had to run them in any serious accumulation of snow, but expect the all wheel drive to help with that. When looking forward, I will look at non runflat options, likely looking at what the current Pirelli or Michelin options might be. I worked for Goodyear for many years, but haven't been impressed with their offerings lately. Just remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for". This holds very true in regard to tires.

I recently bought tires for my son's car and put the VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 on his Mazda 3, https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=20110&width=205/&ratio=45&diameter=17&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17. So far they seem to be a reasonable tire for the price and are holding up well. Vredestein has been around as long as I can remember and my dad put them on his BMW more than 30 years ago, replacing the self destructing Continentals. They are well regarded in Europe.

Where to buy? Try Tirerack or Discount Tire. Tirerack has a network of installers that you can have them sent to once you decide. Not sure about Discount Tire. I've bought countless tires from Tirerack and have never has an issue.

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

Bridgestone

• DRIVEGUARD - SIZE: 205/45RF17

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard&partnum=045WR7DGXLRFT

Bought them in Feb 2017 for Cid. Have put 30k on them and they are wearing extremely well. Mr. Tire gave my front tires a 8/10 and my rear tires 9/10 when I had them rotated this Summer. 

I have taken them on the Dragon, to MINIs on the Mack, through Winter work commutes and they have been awesome. 

signature-final.png

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. 

Michael is putting the Roadster in storage for the winter and decided that it will strictly be a summer car, so no need for winter tires. His winter tires happen to be the exact size I need and they are in great shape. So, I will be going with those and then buying new wheels and summer tires in the Spring. 

In case you're curious, the tires are Michelin Alpins. They are really, really good winter tires but I don't think they are available anymore, at least not in the size I need.

• Like 2

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186