Hilltopper

Timing Chain and Camshaft Adjustor

Evening everyone,  

I'm in need of assistance.  I recently purchased a 2007 Mini Cooper S for my daughter (first car); I gambled and bought it from an Auction.  Although I got if for decent price I have now put an equal amount back into the car only to still have issues.  Took it to a mechanic and they told me that now they need to replace the timing chain, knock sensor and camshaft adjustor.  All this comes with a hefty price - the rate I'm going I might as well have bought her a "new" car.  I own a Countryman and we're excited to have the Cooper S join the family.

Here's my question - has anyone done this type of work on their own before?  I would love to do it myself but would probably feel better about it having someone look over my shoulder whose done it before.  Or someone who can walk me through it.

Here's a list of the work I've either done or had the garage do:  had the valve cover replaced, intake manifold and injector ports hand cleaned, brakes, air mass meter boot, breather hose and intake manifold gasket replaced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Car runs - just a little rough at the lower speeds - check engine light never goes off.

thanks.  AJ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Knock sensor and Camshaft adjuster and pretty easy and straight forward and are  easily accessible. Timing chain is a bit more of a process requiring special tools to lock the engine components in place, an N14 is an interference engine meaning moving components occupy the same space at different times in the engine cycle. If they get off things start touching each other violently. Also if the guides have begun to brake you will need to fish all those components out, not fun.

I would say unless the can borrow the locking brackets from someone and are very comfortable with the inner working of an engine I would defer to a 3rd party mini shop there are several in the club vendors. If they are doing the timing chain, there would probably be little to know labor increase for the knock sensor and cam adjuster.

You could save a bit sourcing and ordering the parts yourself, then just having the shop install it. Detroit Tuned sells a very good replacement timing chain kit.

Please let me know if I can help anymore. Sorry, probably not the answer you are looking for.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

12 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Thanks, How would I go about seeing what 3rd party mini shops are involved with the group? 

See that you are in woodbridge, PTunning in Manassas your be the closest you you. They have work with the group for quite a few years and I have never heard a bad word. @MarkDDrew and @TGGRRR (Ali) can speak about them if you shoot them a message.

There is also GTPeace in Chantilly that again have great reviews, I known @Shadow has had work done there, if you would like to get someones first hand experience.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

22 minutes ago, 1975_mini said:

See that you are in woodbridge, PTunning in Manassas your be the closest you you. They have work with the group for quite a few years and I have never heard a bad word. @MarkDDrew and @TGGRRR (Ali) can speak about them if you shoot them a message.

There is also GTPeace in Chantilly that again have great reviews, I known @Shadow has had work done there, if you would like to get someones first hand experience.

We love PTuning. They treat us well, have great customer service and I totally trust them. One of our MINIs is there right now getting a calipers upgrade

I know that @SneakyBaron has used GT Peace a lot and he's very happy with them.

Our vendors rock

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg