1975_mini

Cherry Blossom Run

Event Title: Cherry Blossom Run

Event Date: 03/31/2018 06:00 AM to 03/31/2018 10:30 AM

Event Address:

23be9403e9a9e271e002e4aec231ee5e--mini-m

Come join us on a casual cruise up the George Washington Parkway along the Potomac River through Old Town Alexandria to the Hain’s point (approx. 35min drive). We should arrive as the sun is rising on Washington D.C. and the cherry blossoms. We will enjoy the blossom being sure to capture the great photo ops with our cars for an hour (or a bit longer to not rush). We will be departing the basin and enjoy some roads as we wind our way around Tyson’s Corner and back down into Fairfax (approx. 1 hour and 30 min) ending at Brion’s for brunch and enjoy each other’s company. A great way to enjoy your MINI and friends and still have the rest of your Sunday

Start Point: Woodland Shopping center parking lot (8700 Richmond Hwy Alexandria, VA 22309)

End point: Brion’s Grille (10621 Braddock Rd, Fairfax, VA 22032)

Schedule of Events:

0600: Driver’s meeting

0615: Wheels up

0650: Arrive at Hain’s Point

0703: Sun Rise

0800ish: Depart Hain’s point

0930: Arrive at Brion’s for Brunch

Look for updates and route sheets coming out as we get closer. How to see you there.

RSVP on the event here: Cherry Blossom Run

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

28 minutes ago, TGGRRR (Ali) said:

Good thing we're going to Hain's point, it may still be crowded but we'll never get best the tidal basin, that thing fills by 4 if it's near peak. Do they have a prediction of peak yet?

Still a bit to far out, sites say March 1st they will start doing predictions. Looking at recent history peak will be first week of April, so we will be I bit ahead of it. Looks like peak bloom ans easter could align that could make it crazy.

Edited by 1975_mini

1975Mini001.jpg

32 minutes ago, SneakyBaron said:

Too early for me plus not a fan of driving in DC in general.

I feel your pain, but unfortunately early is a necessary evil to make DC bearable. Once I lock in the route coming out of DC, you could jump in then. would be more like 0800ish, better roads around Tyson's and then brunch.:)

51 minutes ago, TGGRRR (Ali) said:

We don't want to be there at peak anyway. One year we did it but we went at like 10:00 at night to Hain's Point so we saw them in the dark. It was fun but a late night

I may bring my camera and some lights to this one and shoot a few MINIs

Sounds awesome, and if there aren't enough blossoms we will just have you photoshop them in afterward. no one will be any the wiser, lol

• Haha 1

1975Mini001.jpg

10 minutes ago, GreenCactus said:

I'd have to leave at 5:00am to meet you guys, so I'm out for the drive into DC. However, I might be up to meet  you at Hains Point and go for breakfast. I really need to get some pictures of Gretchen, I only have one. :( 

sounds good, there will be a more Marylandish run coming soon.

Edited by 1975_mini

1975Mini001.jpg

Quick update for all, I did the pre-run yesterday and the route is good to go. I will finalize the route sheets today and post them.

According to the NPS peak bloom is March 27-31 and the Washington post is saying March 30 to April 3.  Though recent cold weather has kind of stalled the blooms in the bud phase, I will keep an eye out as we move through the week. If the blooms continue to stall what is everyone take on sliding a week to the right to 31 March, this would also be a Saturday as Sunday is Easter. This is a last resort, as long as long as some of the blooms are out we will go as scheduled.

I will provide an update on Wednesday, my intent is to keep the 25th date as long as it won't be a twig run instead of a cherry blossom run. 

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

5 hours ago, 1975_mini said:

Quick update for all, I did the pre-run yesterday and the route is good to go. I will finalize the route sheets today and post them.

According to the NPS peak bloom is March 27-31 and the Washington post is saying March 30 to April 3.  Though recent cold weather has kind of stalled the blooms in the bud phase, I will keep an eye out as we move through the week. If the blooms continue to stall what is everyone take on sliding a week to the right to 31 March, this would also be a Saturday as Sunday is Easter. This is a last resort, as long as long as some of the blooms are out we will go as scheduled.

I will provide an update on Wednesday, my intent is to keep the 25th date as long as it won't be a twig run instead of a cherry blossom run. 

If I get into DC this week I will do a check on blossoms for you. I'm supposed to go in Wed and Thurs, but with the storm I might be teleworking on Wed. I actually think we'll be OK for blooms but maybe not at peak. 

• Thanks 1

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

16 minutes ago, GreenCactus said:

Peak bloom has been pushed back again. It's now April 8-12. Stupid cold weather... 

thanks for the update.

Unfortunately do the conglomeration of factors: snow delaying the blooms, estimated temperature that morning in the mid 20’s, and now large protests with road closures we will have to slide the event to the right.

It has been moved to 31 March, this is Easter weekend but I have shifted from Sunday to Saturday hopefully not conflict with peoples’ plans. A decent amount of blooms should be out, but likely still missing the crush of people a peak bloom. The weather is tentatively going to be in the high 50’s. I can’t promise no protests, it is DC!

Have updated the calendar event to reflect the new date,the site did not blow out the RSVP's so if your availability has changed I ask the you update your RSVP accordingly. 

Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and I hope you will all still be able to attend, and hopefully a few more.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

1975Mini001.jpg

On 3/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, 1975_mini said:

Have updated the calendar event to reflect the new date,the site did not blow out the RSVP's so if your availability has changed I ask the you update your RSVP accordingly. 

Nice improvement over the last site! 

• Like 2

signature-final.png

Hey all,

We are now less than 24 hours out from the start of the cherry blossom run. If you are a maybe on the RSVP, I ask that you please update your status if you know if you are coming. There are some blossoms out so we will not see just sticks. I will post the route sheets after work, along with a link to the google maps route. I used google maps for the first time on the test run and it worked well. I will have several had copies of the route sheets at the driver's meeting.

Put those radios on the charges if you have them, I will bring a few spares.

please let me know if you have any questions. See everyone bright and early.

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg