1975_mini

What runs are you doing?

Hey all,

I was wondering what runs everyone was thinking of doing. Also any suggestions on any should be first time time events. Also I have attached a more visual representation of the events scheduled, for me it just makes it a bit easier to see what overlaps. The time line is color coded to easily identify moderate, spirted, or unspecified pace, performance/testing, and non-driving events. Also all the events on the timeline are hyperlinked on the time line so if you click on one it will take you to that events page for more information. Hope some find it helpful.

dragon schedule.pdf

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Sign up is next Saturday morning at 9:00, it's a good idea to set a calendar reminder and get logged in right away. Also after a lot of chatting with Mark, I'm bringing Angus. I'm concerned that Tigger will just break down again when I get there, don't want to bring the Countryman and this way he can take Angus on the Dragon and he has both of his MINIs. I had considering no MINI but I'm doing fine after surgery and I just can't handle not having a MINI there.

Here's what I'm doing

We're there all week so

Monday night I'll set up the dinner at the Hub for the early people, we had like 50 people last year

Tuesday morning we help stuff bags etc, it's a lot of fun and over the years I've worked my way to the line runner. I grab the full boxes at the end of the table and replace with empty ones. Everyone likes to flog me if I'm not fast enough. I get to yell faster faster if the line is too slow.

Wed morning the Smokey Mountain sunrise run

Thursday, Craig and I are running the photography run. It will be a lot of  fun, it starts early. I give a lot of instruction on angles to shoot your MINI, the lighting, how to shoot the details, how to compose an image and more

Friday afternoon - Paint bar

Friday before brewswap (5:15) - Club photo on the top of the dam 

Saturday open

Set your calendars we're in Dragon planning mode!!!

YESSSSSSSSS

:dancing2:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

21 minutes ago, GreenCactus said:

Don't overplan! I did that my 2nd year and I was exhausted. There's always someone around willing to go for a drive if you don't get signed up for the "official" ones, too. 

This is so true

I'm leaving Saturday free and only do one run a day when I do them. I never try to squeeze in 2 runs, is too stressful

Tggrrr010.jpg

1 hour ago, TGGRRR (Ali) said:

This is so true

I'm leaving Saturday free and only do one run a day when I do them. I never try to squeeze in 2 runs, is too stressful

I made the mistake of signing up for two runs ONCE. It was the Deep Creek Falls Run, then a dinner run to Nantahala Outdoor Center followed by Bingo. 

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

4 minutes ago, GreenCactus said:

I made the mistake of signing up for two runs ONCE. It was the Deep Creek Falls Run, then a dinner run to Nantahala Outdoor Center followed by Bingo. 

I've done that too, it's exhausting and stressful. Bingo is a must though!!!! Everyone sign up for BINGO

Tggrrr010.jpg

I feel like Ali gets a cut of the Bingo money, time share people don't sell this hard, lol. We are already registered for bingo. Brandy and I will sit down an figure out events in the next day or two, with primary and secondary choices if registration is full on one. 

Sounds like I need to setup my race registration setup. Figure out which computer has the fastest rated NIC and hardline it to the cable modem. You will bet those WiFi people everytime.

• Haha 2

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

i am going to stay away from spirited runs for myself, we are bringing both cars, since my accident i am a little more hesitant and still have not gotten the feel for Nila. He on the on the hand is a driver so he and roxy will be doing those spirited runs. 

we are scheduled to be there on Thursday, travel plans and time of arrival are up in the air,

right now i am definitely in on bingo, and wine and painting, i want to do the deep creek waterfalls run, maybe the ice cream or apple pie run. considering doing the dome run instead of the brew swap as well.

• Like 2

http://www.dcmetrominis.org/forums/image.php?u=1132&type=sigpic&dateline=1367319111

1 hour ago, Brandy_Brown said:

i am going to stay away from spirited runs for myself, we are bringing both cars, since my accident i am a little more hesitant and still have not gotten the feel for Nila. He on the on the hand is a driver so he and roxy will be doing those spirited runs. 

we are scheduled to be there on Thursday, travel plans and time of arrival are up in the air,

right now i am definitely in on bingo, and wine and painting, i want to do the deep creek waterfalls run, maybe the ice cream or apple pie run. considering doing the dome run instead of the brew swap as well.

Some of the "non-spirited" runs are fairly spirited, so be prepared. It's one of the reasons I don't do the organized runs anymore. I was pokey enough in Cricket and I can't imagine how slow I'll be this year. I don't want to annoy anyone else. 

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

1 hour ago, GreenCactus said:

Some of the "non-spirited" runs are fairly spirited, so be prepared. It's one of the reasons I don't do the organized runs anymore. I was pokey enough in Cricket and I can't imagine how slow I'll be this year. I don't want to annoy anyone else. 

Also, even on a spirited run you can have someone REALLY slow in the middle. So you just don't know what you'll get. When in doubt here, take the back then it's less stressful even if you get left behind. I would rather be left behind than drive beyond my comfort.

ALSO - you can just go on a run with friends and skip almost all or all of the organized runs. 

Tggrrr010.jpg

You can also just show up to the start of an organized run you didn't register for and go with them. Many (most?) of the runs (that don't require a dining reservation/prepayment/glass blowing ticket) don't take attendance, and there's nothing stopping you from simply following them if they do.

This is what our schedule is looking like as of right now. We are extending to come down Wednesday instead of Thursday now.. the excitement is just too much!

Wednesday

2:00 Registration

6:00 Welcome Dinner

8:00 Skirtapalooza

Thursday 

6:00 - Sunrise Drive through the Smokies

3:30 - River's End Retaurant Drive - Thursday Edition

6:30 - Dragon Bingo

Friday

8:00 -Dragon Parade

10:00 - Pinball Run

5:15 - Club Photo

7:30 - Drive in Movie Night

Saturday 

10:00 - Panoramic Photo

11:30 - Annual Ice Cream Run

6:00 - Farewell Dinner

8:30 - Darkness on the Dragon

Corinne's Schedule

Wednesday

2:00 Registration

6:00 Welcome Dinner

8:00 Skirtapalooza

Thursday 

6:00 - Sunrise Drive through the Smokies

3:30 - River's End Retaurant Drive - Thursday Edition

6:30 - Dragon Bingo

Friday

8:00 -Dragon Parade

1pm - Wine and Painting

5:15 - Club Photo

7:30 - Drive in Movie Night

Saturday 

10:00 - Panoramic Photo

11:30 - Annual Ice Cream Run

6:00 - Farewell Dinner

8:30 - Darkness on the Dragon

signature-final.png

you've got a pretty full schedule. 

FYI the ice cream run is massive, most veterans just do their own smaller groups as there's no way for everyone to stay together. It happens right after the Panoramic photo so talk to Celia about it. I think she escapes before the big run leaves so that she can get parking. We went once, it's fun but luckily we left with Celia.

The Dragon parade is fast! I've never done it but I've been shooting at the boat ramp several years as they roll by, another REALLY popular run. I *Think* you'll get back in time for pinball, it's cutting it close so you might not. Like just going from Fontana, run the Dragon and back takes about 90 minutes.

Skirtpalooza is AWESOME!!! @Sollestia and I are getting some crazy costumes together for the Vegas theme. 

So here's Mark's schedule

Dragon runs

Dragon runs

someone drags him on a run

Dragon runs

Here's my schedule

Wed

6:30 Smokey Mountain Sunrise Drive

Dinner somewhere with MINI friends, maybe The Hub

Skirtpalooza

Thurs

7:00 Craig and I host the photography run

3:30 might do the Rivers End Restaurant

6:30 BINGO

Friday

1:00 Painting

5:15 Club photo (you guys don't let me forget the time this year)

7:30 Movie

Saturday

Not signing up for anything, Free day

• Like 1

Tggrrr010.jpg

On 2/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, SneakyBaron said:

The doughnut run is spirited.

The donut run is spirited but not crazy.  It has a new leader this year (me) and I'm a brisk-yet-responsible driver.  This year it is a 'build your own adventure' style drive.  Just want donuts and then want to head back to Fontana quickly?  Great!  Want to add on a visit to the OutMotoring HQ?  Sure?  Come along for part 2.  Want to take the long way back to Fontana across the Cherohala Skyway?  Join me for the full drive!

Those folks that want to go crazy w/ speed on the Donut run are welcome to depart ahead of the main group... I'll be distributing turn-by-turn instructions if you need 'em.

My very favorite run of all time is the Sunrise Through the Smokys, which is happening on Wednesday AND Thursday this year (I'm leading the Thursday run).  It's early, but we will catch the sunrise while crossing the dragon and get some great pics, weather permitting, of the reason the mountains are called 'smoky'.  Little River Road is my favorite place in the world... open the sunroof and the windows, turn on the seat heaters and live!

I'm also setting up a post-Ice-Cream-run drive on Saturday... an unofficial drive for friends and anyone who wants to tag along.  It will be a 3-4 hour addition to the end of the ice cream run, heading south on 28, crossing Wayah Road and returning to Fontana, passing through Robbinsville (for gas n food), making it back to Fontana in plenty of time to get to the farewell dinner.  I'll post details on this drive to the forum once I get 'em all together.

Edited by agranger
formatting
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, agranger said:

I'm also setting up a post-Ice-Cream-run drive on Saturday... an unofficial drive for friends and anyone who wants to tag along.  It will be a 3-4 hour addition to the end of the ice cream run, heading south on 28, crossing Wayah Road and returning to Fontana, passing through Robbinsville (for gas n food), making it back to Fontana in plenty of time to get to the farewell dinner.  I'll post details on this drive to the forum once I get 'em all together.

Sounds good!

signature-final.png