I just bought my first mini a few months a go, I have a clubman 2009, and the radio display is not working on hot days, I've been reading that it's a common issue. So, I'm looking if someone upgrade the radio and has the original on sale, wondering if I can with a newer radio model as well. I was looking another options and I found a radio on ebay (link below), but I think it's kind of expensive plus I'm not sure about the quality for those radios, any recommendation?

Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-RAM-Android-7-1-Car-Multimedia-GPS-Navi-Radio-Stereo-for-BMW-Mini-Cooper-KPH/112564476829?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My understanding is it's really difficult and expensive to change out the radio in a 2nd gen MINI. My husband had to add a little side unit that sat in his cup holder to get satellite. I don't know about the unit on ebay but hopefully someone here does

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I replaced the radio in my old Gen 1. I got it from Crutchfield and they provide extremely detailed instructions with step by step pictures for MINIs to show you exactly what needs to be done. In addition, they have a phone number where you can get support with the install.

The only curveball that I was aware of was if you had the MINI stereo with built in amp. If you have that, you have to rerun the wires from the head unit to the speakers. Crutchfield goes over it in detail on their site.

signature-final.png

8 minutes ago, wyretrip said:

I replaced the radio in my old Gen 1. I got it from Crutchfield and they provide extremely detailed instructions with step by step pictures for MINIs to show you exactly what needs to be done. In addition, they have a phone number where you can get support with the install.

The only curveball that I was aware of was if you had the MINI stereo with built in amp. If you have that, you have to rerun the wires from the head unit to the speakers. Crutchfield goes over it in detail on their site.

Gen 1's are super easy, you can even go after market with them. Tigger is on his 4th radio

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I agree if swapping in an OEM radio it would not be a big deal. You do have to take out a large portion of the dash, but it is not difficult. I told it out of Brandy's 09 clubby. gen2s are getting old enough that you can find them in parts yards now, and a few of MINIs being parted out on craigslist. i would check those places for a good priced replacement.

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

this may be your best recourse.  

2k10 Mini Cooper S (R56) 6sp, Coilover suspension, K&N Intake, Alta hotside, Stoptech Rotors, 17" white wheels w/ Conti DW, and resonator delete, S42 turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, tuned 250whp.

2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.

2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius radio (Totalled)

2k14 Audi R8 5.2 Suzuka Grey, Larini Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius, K&N Filters w/ silicoln sleeve and tuned.