1975_mini

Bringing Watson back to life

Now that we are settled into the new house and getting back to normal it is time to give Watson a little TLC and get him back on the road. For those that don't know he was a little mad at me for being gone for two year and decided not to start when I got home.

A quick walk through found that the rubber gas line from the tank had been eaten by the ethanol in modern gas (damn you environmentalist). We did a quick replace of the line but no luck. I was sure the dissolving line had gummed up the fuel system. So we rolled him on the trailer and pushed him into the back of the new garage till i had more time.

That brings us to today. I started with the tried and true method of charge the battery, turn the key, and verbally abuse him till it starts (the equivalent of the IT troubleshooting step of turn it off and back on). No luck, but it works 10% of the time.

So time to get under the hood, I was pretty sure the carb was clogged up so we started there.

3EF6FD67-EEB9-40D6-BA5B-A6145663DE76_zpssxi2xgwx.jpg

I pulled the cover off the float and this is what it looked like. That is gas. I am pretty sure the MINI is not a two stroke engine, so milky gas is not a good thing.

CFECDBE2-E82A-469C-9CAB-34B638A016AB_zpsksjnjtls.jpg

This is what the fuel looked like after I drained the float, not a good color. so time to pull the Carb.

4CCBECF3-5CAB-4CC2-82EF-614A492BAE3F_zpsfid6gggg.jpg

Only took like two minutes to remove the carb, one of the great things about the simple motors in these classic Minis. Now just waiting for the rebuild kit to come in the mail. Amazingly the local Autozone didn't have the parts.

5BA6D0C8-AD7F-478B-9B89-47D717D3D2D3_zpsehaagoga.jpg

Hopefully I will have an update this weekend.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Oof - a lot of work! A labor of love, though. I'm curious - is there an option to replace the rubber gas line with a better solution that won't be affected by the ethanol?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Oof - a lot of work! A labor of love, though. I'm curious - is there an option to replace the rubber gas line with a better solution that won't be affected by the ethanol?

I replaced the failed hose with anew modern rubber hose so should not be as susceptible. If your burning through the gas it is less of an issue. It was that I only asked Brandy would start him once a month and let him run for like 30 minutes, so gas sat in the lines a lot. I went with her running it as opposed to draining it and storing it dry, just gave out right before I got home, because I drove it when I was home in April.

I got extra hose and will replace all the rubber section just to be safe. The big issue is ethanol fumes with eat a metal gas tank. The ethanol in gas is why lawnmower and other small engines do not last.

I hope he can make it to MTTB

Shouldn't be an issue, carb rebuild will take an afternoon once the parts arrive. I want him running earlier than later as I may pitch to David putting a MTTB vinyl on him and sticking him out front at PMoA as advertisement.

1975Mini001.jpg

I want him running earlier than later as I may pitch to David putting a MTTB vinyl on him and sticking him out front at PMoA as advertisement.

That's a great idea. I remember the first MTTB when Passport MINI sent David Rockwell in the Passport logo MINI. It was really cool

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I replaced the failed hose with anew modern rubber hose so should not be as susceptible. If your burning through the gas it is less of an issue. It was that I only asked Brandy would start him once a month and let him run for like 30 minutes, so gas sat in the lines a lot. I went with her running it as opposed to draining it and storing it dry, just gave out right before I got home, because I drove it when I was home in April.

I got extra hose and will replace all the rubber section just to be safe. The big issue is ethanol fumes with eat a metal gas tank. The ethanol in gas is why lawnmower and other small engines do not last.

I was thinking of a non-rubber hose solution, in the same way that we have braided steel brake lines.
I want him running earlier than later as I may pitch to David putting a MTTB vinyl on him and sticking him out front at PMoA as advertisement.
That's a great idea. I remember the first MTTB when Passport MINI sent David Rockwell in the Passport logo MINI. It was really cool
Unfortunately, David Rockwell is no longer at PMoA - again. :frown:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Edge there are newer rubber hoses that can stand the ethanol. The same type of hose used for aftermarket brake lines can be used but it is expensive. Lots of race cars use it because of the safety issues. A bigger issue with the modern fuels with ethanol is it eats the metal parts. Especially the pot metal the carburetors are made out of. The fuel additives the lawn mower people sell help, but long term storage is a problem.

Ugh. That explains why I couldn't get an appointment with him...

Frank told me awhile ago, I don't know where he went
The good news is that David chose to leave PMoA on his own accord (this time)... apparently the service management position wasn't quite what he was hoping it would be (I also imagine that not being on commission any longer was a factor... I'm sure his popularity with us (and other non-DCMM customers) as an SA served him very well in that area!). He is currently at Infiniti of Tysons.
Edge there are newer rubber hoses that can stand the ethanol. The same type of hose used for aftermarket brake lines can be used but it is expensive. Lots of race cars use it because of the safety issues. A bigger issue with the modern fuels with ethanol is it eats the metal parts. Especially the pot metal the carburetors are made out of. The fuel additives the lawn mower people sell help, but long term storage is a problem.
Ah OK cool, good thing this problem happened at home, and not by failing you when out and about!

The good news is that David chose to leave PMoA on his own accord (this time)... apparently the service management position wasn't quite what he was hoping it would be (I also imagine that not being on commission any longer was a factor... I'm sure his popularity with us (and other non-DCMM customers) as an SA served him very well in that area!). He is currently at Infiniti of Tysons.
...and now he's switched to Audi Arlington - he had told me he was about to move there, but not to post it yet as he had not yet told Infiniti... but now he has posted about it on FB, so I guess the cat is out of the bag!

Either way, not at PMoA = :frown:

He is alive!!!

pulled apart the carb and went nuts with a can of carb cleaner. Once I blew all the chunks a dissolving rubber out of the jet and clean off what was caked on the needle he fired up like a champ when I filled the float with gas.:top::top:

The float gasket was dry rotted so not driveable till the new one comes in, but that will take a minute once it comes in.

Also waiting on the new rear brake drums, and will be replacing both rear drum assemblies. should take an hour or two.

He is running though, so good day overall.

1975Mini001.jpg

He is alive!!!

Woohoo! :top:

He is alive!!!

pulled apart the carb and went nuts with a can of carb cleaner. Once I blew all the chunks a dissolving rubber out of the jet and clean off what was caked on the needle he fired up like a champ when I filled the float with gas.:top::top:

The float gasket was dry rotted so not driveable till the new one comes in, but that will take a minute once it comes in.

Also waiting on the new rear brake drums, and will be replacing both rear drum assemblies. should take an hour or two.

:party:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg