HasAnMTBProblem

Quick ratio steering rack for R60S?

First, let me state that I understand what I'm about to talk about is nit picky. I also understand that any modifications regarding this is probably more money and work than what it's worth. ...but I like thinking about things like this, and am curious what options there are out there, if any.

So, I've had my 2012 R60S for about 6 months, now. One thing that I noticed is that two-handed steering around sharper corners is right at the limit of hand grip without having to move one of my hands. If I had things perfect for my preference, I wouldn't mind having a slightly tighter steering ratio. I believe the R60 has a 14.1:1 steering ratio, and I'm interested to see if there is a solution that knocks a quarter turn, or so, off the lock to lock rotation.

Initial searches for close ratio steering racks are coming up empty. Any thoughts?

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Sport mode doesn't tighten up the steering effort? On my 2017 Clubby, Sport mode takes out all the slack and play in the steering. Not an option on the R60S?

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

You can get a custom rack made, but it is likely to cost a lot of money. I would not be surprised at ten grand. You could search detentions and ratios of other racks and see if they could be adapted. You could modify the spindles with shorter steering arms, but you would have to move the rack to correct the bump steer. All options are expensive.

Sport mode doesn't tighten up the steering effort? On my 2017 Clubby, Sport mode takes out all the slack and play in the steering. Not an option on the R60S?

Sport mode changes the feel, for sure, but it's not going to change the ratio. It basically reduces the power assist, making it feel sportier. I love that, but it's not what I'm talking about.

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

You can get a custom rack made, but it is likely to cost a lot of money. I would not be surprised at ten grand. You could search detentions and ratios of other racks and see if they could be adapted. You could modify the spindles with shorter steering arms, but you would have to move the rack to correct the bump steer. All options are expensive.

Lol, yeah, I guess a meant something off the shelf, or a frankenrack someone might have already experimented with.

First I am going to say the method I know is a cheap way to shorten lock to lock, but should never be done as it seriously throws off the turning geometry of the car!!!

Drifters will shorten the turning arm either by cutting and welding or offsetting with a bracket. This will reduce lock to lock. Like I said before this killing the turning geometry. Great if you want your car to go sideways through a turn, not so much for tracking through a turn.

You really would need to replace rack and pinion gears, i wonder if the steering box may be interchangeable with one for other BMW models. Just a thought.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

First I am going to say the method I know is a cheap way to shorten lock to lock, but should never be done as it seriously throws off the turning geometry of the car!!!

Drifters will shorten the turning arm either by cutting and welding or offsetting with a bracket. This will reduce lock to lock. Like I said before this killing the turning geometry. Great if you want your car to go sideways through a turn, not so much for tracking through a turn.

You really would need to replace rack and pinion gears, i wonder if the steering box may be interchangeable with one for other BMW models. Just a thought.

Yeah, I was wondering the same about that last bit. But, without having parts to play with, not sure how I'd go about figuring that out. I doubt part descriptions would go into enough detail (length of rack, bolt placement, pinion and rack teeth count, rack size, etc.) to work it out on paper.