Donross

Figuring out my Class (AutoX)

Hello Competitive family,

I'm really struggling determining my AutoX class. Working through the SCCA rule book, I believe my car will be 'DS', 'FP', and 'DSP".

I'm hoping to have this nailed down so I can print letters and numbers before doing my first AutoX at MOTD this year. (yes, i am novice).

Could someone help me out? i've included a list of Mods to the car below.

---------------------------------

R53 MCS

CAI

16% Pulley

Bypass Valve (Detroit Tuned)

Flashpoint MKII Header (WMW)

JCW exhaust

Koni Yellow Shocks(Dampen adjustable)

H&R Lowersprings

Fix Camberplates (front only)

Adjustable 22mm Rear Swaybar

----------------------------------

Thank you for any assistance, I'm still reading/reasearching...not trying to dump this on anyone.

Cheers,

Ross

I'm really struggling determining my AutoX class. Working through the SCCA rule book, I believe my car will be 'DS', 'FP', and 'DSP".

I'm hoping to have this nailed down so I can print letters and numbers before doing my first AutoX at MOTD this year. (yes, i am novice).

R53 MCS

CAI

16% Pulley

JCW exhaust

H&R Lowersprings

Thank you for any assistance, I'm still reading/reasearching...not trying to dump this on anyone.

Cheers,

Ross

I'm no expert, but your car is definitely not DS due to the lowering springs. I dealt with that criteria for a previous car myself.

-Chris

R53 MCS

CAI

16% Pulley

JCW exhaust

H&R Lowersprings

Cheers,

Ross

"No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys. Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip. " Chapter 15, 4.C

This seems to knock you out of DSP.

EDIT: Sounds like SMF

Edited by RDG_RCR

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

"No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys. Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip. " Chapter 15, 4.C

This seems to knock you out of DSP.

EDIT: Sounds like SMF

SMF...i'm gonna get spanked :laugh:

SMF...i'm gonna get spanked :laugh:

Maybe nationally, but probably not at a small event. People who start modding their cars without thinking about car classing tend to over mod and end up in crazy advance classes (done this many times). So at smaller events, you typically have these "extreme cars" with novice drivers (myself included).

I can see this being the case at MOTD, a lot of these cars are over done, and maybe 5% of them actually race.

Good luck, have fun, and bring back a trophy for DCMM!!

Maybe nationally, but probably not at a small event. People who start modding their cars without thinking about car classing tend to over mod and end up in crazy advance classes (done this many times). So at smaller events, you typically have these "extreme cars" with novice drivers (myself included).

I can see this being the case at MOTD, a lot of these cars are over done, and maybe 5% of them actually race.

Good luck, have fun, and bring back a trophy for DCMM!!

I'm really looking forward to just improving my driving, should help with quick reaction times while driving (and track days). Not too concerned with classing honestly...just some good times behind the wheel. I guess the way HSCC is running the show i'll be putting a "N" for novice before the class level.

according to SCCA rules, from what i've read, it doesn't take much to bump from one level to the next.

according to SCCA rules, from what i've read, it doesn't take much to bump from one level to the next.

Yeah, its real easy to mod your way out of class. At the moment, my Exige isn't even legal in any SSCA SOLO class and that was just because of my new spoiler. Before I did my body modifications I was bumped into SSM because of my S/C. The 06 didn't come S/C from the factory, but the previous owner added an OEM equivalent, but since it wasn't exactly OEM, I was not eligible for SSP.

Taken from NAM: Here

If you do the pulley, you'll skip right over STX and DSP, and go straight to Street Mod without collecting $200.

The following isn't meant to be all inclusive, but rather a basic overview of the SCCA Classing related to the MINI. The 2007 SCCA Solo Rules (PDF link) dictate explicitely what can and can not be done to the cars in each class and which cars can race in which classes.

Stock -> Street Touring -> Street Prepared -> Street Modified

Classing generally follows the path outlined above, with each class generally permitting more modifications (the major exception being tires).

Stock Class

COOPER = H-Stock (HS)

COOPER S = G-Stock (GS)

06 JCW = B-Stock (BS)

Permitted Modifications

Any Struts - including adjustable damping

Any FRONT swaybar

Panel Air Filter

Cat-back exhaust

Harnesses (Quick-fit or similar) and C.G. Locks

Wheels must be stock size and stock offset within 5mm. This means 15x5.5 and 16x6.5 for the MC and 16x6.5 and 17x7 for the MCS.

R-compound Tires - Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, or similar. Street tires are also acceptable, but won't be very competitive since race tires are permitted in this class.

Brake pads may be replaced

Spare tire and tool kit may be removed

Roll bars or roll cages may be added

airbags may not be removed

Basically, that's about the extent of the modifications that can be done. Lowering Springs, Rear Sway Bars, camber plates, camber links, cone filters, lighter seats, interior gutting, headwork, cams, engine dampeners, USS, Strut Braces, BBK's, brake stiffeners, slotted rotors, etc..... ARE NOT PERMITTED IN STOCK CLASS.

Street Touring

COOPER = Street Touring Stock (STS)

COOPER S = Street Touring Extreme (STX)

Permitted Modifications

All of the STOCK class modifications with the exception of tires

Tires in street touring must have a wear rating above 140

Tires may but up to 225 wide in STS and 245 wide in STX.

Wheels may be up to 7.5" wide for STS and 8.0" wide for STX

Coilovers, rear swaybars, camber plates, camber links, are all OK in STS.

You may have non stock seats, but you must still have the same number of functional seats. This means you can not gut your interior, but you may put in lighter racing buckets if you'd like.

The air conditioning may be removed.

Cone filters are acceptable

Spoilers/splitters may be added

cross drilled/slotted rotors

lightweight batteries are ok as long as voltage remains the same

batteries may be relocated

Limited Slip Differentials may be added (STX)

Street Prepared

COOPER = F Street Prepared (FSP)

COOPER S and JCW and JCW GP = D Street Prepared (DSP)

Permitted Modifications

Anything permitted in Stock or Street Touring is basically ok in Steet Prepared.

Race Tires may be used

Any wheel width, size, or offset may be used

Cross drilled and slotted rotors are ok, BBK's are not.

Bump stops may be altered or removed

Street Modified

COOPER = Street Modified (SM)

COOPER S = Street Modified (SM)

Permitted Modifications

All stock, street touring, and street prepared modifications are permitted.

IF YOU HAVE AN MCS WITH AN AFTERMARKET REDUCTION PULLEY YOUR MINI IS IN STREET MODIFIED.

BBK's

Cams and head work

*** IF YOU HAVE A JCW GP: currently the only class you are permitted to run in is DSP

I did a couple of sessions, based on mods i'm in the SMF class.

I like the price point of AutoX and TrackX versus the full track day buy in. But I know I need to keep the HPDEs up. this year was not as active, MTTS took a lot to make happen. Should get things turned around for next year though.