TGGRRR (Ali)

DIY Tech day

Saturday February 25th, rain or shine (rescheduled if it snows)

Aamco Total Car Care

10505 Crestwood Drive

Manassas, VA 20109

9am-2pm

Four two post lifts available and one drive-on.

Minor maintenance, oil changes, brake work, etc. Please bring your own tools. If you need a tool requiring air (impact gun, air chisel, grinder), the host will assist. If you need parts, there is a NAPA within walking distance, and an autozone and Advanced within two minutes driving.

Please post up to let us know what you are working on. It will be the host's discretion as to how many vehicles get worked on, and what kind of work is done.

Pizza and soda supplied for lunch!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I had my car recently checked out, and was told my Front Lower Control Arm Bushings are a bit worn, and could use replacing soon.

Anyone know how to do this and would be at the DIY Tech day to assist?

No idea what this would cost in labor to do, or if it's a DIY.

Thanks!

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

Was just thinking that my list may not be appropriate for this Tech Day. I'll drop out.

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

I will probably be there but will NOT need a lift. I am assembling a complete duplicate suspension and have all the parts; however, my spring compressor does not work with the MINI front springs; will someone have (or can you bring) one that does? And, I also need the use of the special sockets (17 and 21 mm) with slotted side that permits an Allen wrench to hold the strut shaft while torquing the top nut. TIA.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

I will probably be there but will NOT need a lift. I am assembling a complete duplicate suspension and have all the parts; however, my spring compressor does not work with the MINI front springs; will someone have (or can you bring) one that does? And, I also need the use of the special sockets (17 and 21 mm) with slotted side that permits an Allen wrench to hold the strut shaft while torquing the top nut. TIA.

We have a Branick wall mounted compressor.

Slight correction to my earlier post: I need a 16 mm strut nut socket, not 17. I have a 21 mm for the front on order, but no one stocks the 16 for the rear. How do people disassemble and reassemble the rear struts? Will an offset box wrench work? TIA.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

Slight correction to my earlier post: I need a 16 mm strut nut socket, not 17. I have a 21 mm for the front on order, but no one stocks the 16 for the rear. How do people disassemble and reassemble the rear struts? Will an offset box wrench work? TIA.

Good question- I've only disassembled the struts on a mini to install lowering springs, so I've never needed to re-compress...

Need to install vinyl bumper cover...anyone have any experience doing this?

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

I assembled my rear struts today and came to realize that the '16 mm strut nut socket' is not necessary, which probably explains why nobody makes one! The front requires one because of the deep recess in the mount, but the rear is not recessed and so a simple box wrench (plus Allen wrench) is sufficient.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

Does anyone have an 11/16 slim wrench I could borrow? That seems to be the only tool I need that I don't have. I'm willing to buy one, but I'm running out of time to get one.

What do you need it for? How do you define thin? Does it need to be short, long, narrow? Box end, open end? Do you need a hammer to go with it?

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

Does anyone have an 11/16 slim wrench I could borrow? That seems to be the only tool I need that I don't have. I'm willing to buy one, but I'm running out of time to get one.

This is what I have...about 1/4" thick

picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=880

picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=881

I need it to secure the inner nut that is fixed to the brake bracket. Here is where I'm getting my information, I don't just know that off the top of my head. :wink:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/168597-r56-front-rotor-replacement-diy.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it odd that there is a mixture of metric and english sizes on the Mini? I know this car is made in England, but since it's really German in design, I would expect it to be entirely metric. I have some really thin metric open ends, I'll bring along just in case....

Laura: I have something that matches your description. I will bring it tomorrow morning; however, I will be there promptly at 9:00 and leave as soon as I finish using the spring compressor, as I have other commitments that morning. If I don't see you I'll leave it with someone.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

It really depends where the component is sourced from. It pretty much all metric there are just a few odd balls like the allen wrench to hold the sway arm bolt is standard but the nut on the bolt is metric. Just the quirkiness of MINI:top:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it odd that there is a mixture of metric and english sizes on the Mini? I know this car is made in England, but since it's really German in design, I would expect it to be entirely metric. I have some really thin metric open ends, I'll bring along just in case....

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Does anyone have an 11/16 slim wrench I could borrow? That seems to be the only tool I need that I don't have. I'm willing to buy one, but I'm running out of time to get one.[/quote

box wench + belt sander = slim wrench, if no one has one

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Thanks to everyone for coming out yesterday! I feel like we got a lot done!! :rock:

Thanks goes to you! An all weekend job became a several hour job just by virtue of having a lift. Coilovers and control arms are in, even if I didn't get to install my camber plates due to them sending me the wrong ones.

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18