HasAnMTBProblem

R60 wheels and tires on 1.5" drop?

I know someone is going to say "use the search button" because they think this is the same question being asked over and over, but I promise I have done a ton of research and cannot find an answer to my specific question, despite all of the information that ALMOST hits home.

My question is: What offset are people running for 18x8 and 235/40R18 on 1.5" drop, such as with KW coilovers.

I'm trying to figure out how much, if any rubbing there is. I'm not talking about just driving along. I want to know what people are running to avoid rubbing over big bumps, dips, and hard cornering, too. At the moment, I'm thinking I'm limited to a minimum of et40, but I'd love to be able to get down to et35 or et32. Without being able to find reliable info, though, I can't be sure what is possible.

Everything I can find is either about 19" wheels, or has no suspension drop noted.

Thanks for the help!

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

I know someone is going to say "use the search button" because they think this is the same question being asked over and over, but I promise I have done a ton of research and cannot find an answer to my specific question, despite all of the information that ALMOST hits home.

My question is: What offset are people running for 18x8 and 235/40R18 on 1.5" drop, such as with KW coilovers.

Not many people run 18's here (if any). I have them on my Subie but can't compare...

CHILLIN001.jpg

You're going with a bit wider tire, so that also complicates how much offset you can use and how many people are using the tire and the drop your specifically want to know about. At risk of being flamed, I'll say this anyway: I'm sure you've searched NAM... you know you'll find a broader userbase to compare notes.

If it helps for comparison (which is probably doesn't!), I have the factory sport suspension so I'm ~10mm lower than the normal suspension, and...

- I'm running an OEM 19" for my summers with 225/40.

- Winters and dirt are 225/50 on ATS Streetrallye 7.5x18 with et48. No rubbing that I know of. I've bounced over some big holes and rocks on forest roads and some big potholes around the DMV. The jarring and uncomfortable sounds seem more like the suspension bottoming out than tire rubbing (and no 'witness marks' that I've noticed in the wells or on the tires).

:top:

8533EA59-632E-480A-B7F5-E69A92E81DA0.jpg

17-01-02_2017.MINIatStMarysRiver__DSF8552_SMD_2017.jpg

Edited by BendersMINI

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black

Not many people run 18's here (if any). I have them on my Subie but can't compare...

I could probably do the conversion from people running 19" wheels, too. But there is still the problem of people not talking about lowered suspension or driving style and any rubbing issues they have. ...or they're still at stock height.

You're going with a bit wider tire, so that also complicates how much offset you can use and how many people are using the tire and the drop your specifically want to know about. At risk of being flamed, I'll say this anyway: I'm sure you've searched NAM... you know you'll find a broader userbase to compare notes.

If it helps for comparison (which is probably doesn't!), I have the factory sport suspension so I'm ~10mm lower than the normal suspension, and...

- I'm running an OEM 19" for my summers with 225/40.

- Winters and dirt are 225/50 on ATS Streetrallye 7.5x18 with et48. No rubbing that I know of. I've bounced over some big holes and rocks on forest roads and some big potholes around the DMV. The jarring and uncomfortable sounds seem more like the suspension bottoming out than tire rubbing (and no 'witness marks' that I've noticed in the wells or on the tires).

Yeah, I'm looking at more like 40mm. I'll see if I can do the math on everything you just said. BTW, where did you get those Streetrallyes? The black ones are high on my list, but the only place I found them was on eBay from Germany, which is less than trust enducing.

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Yeah, I'm looking at more like 40mm. I'll see if I can do the math on everything you just said. BTW, where did you get those Streetrallyes? The black ones are high on my list, but the only place I found them was on eBay from Germany, which is less than trust enducing.

Shipped from Ireland.

http://www.performancealloys.com

They promptly answered my email questions, as did the ATS rep in Germany. They were listing 16", 17", 18", and 19"... now only the 17s and 18s. Kinda wish I'd bought 16s because of the greater selection of tires available, but... I do like the look of the 18s. Send me a PM if you're seriously considering buying them - TPMS fitment isn't straightforward (I used Huf sensors).

Good luck sorting out the tire size/suspension drop details. Maybe you'll have to break some new ground for the community of R60 owners?

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black

Thanks, man. I spoke to Enkei and a couple of Mini-specific vendors and I think I'm just going to go with 18x8 et42. Enkei says that their 5x120 wheels (or at least the two I asked about) have the same profile up to 9" wide. They just machine more off the mounting surface to get from et32 to et42. The profile gets deeper at 9.5".

I really wanted them as concave as possible. Since they told me the above, I'm trying to find the T6S in black, 18x8 et42. Easy to find silver, not so easy to find black.

enkeitun_t6ss_b_pdpfull.jpg

Sooooo, unfortunately Enkei has ended the black T6S wheels. Lame!

But! I got a good deal on a set of silvers and am going to have them powder coated (or possibly painted, not sure yet) bronze, like the Volk TE37's. - Sooooo sexy, those wheels!- I may chicken out and do gunmetal, but I'm not doing black. There is way too much black going on in the wheel well area on the R60.