Salmi

Need repair for my 2016 Mini's front bumper cracked--under the grille

Comrades and Camaradas.

Some careless fool damaged my front bumper. There is a thin crack in the black plastic panel under the grille.

Need your suggestions for a great repair shop.

Thank you; I wish I could trace the culprit!

Simba

Edited by Salmi

Haemish is in Australia but hopefully he'll check and reply. I know he found some good body shops when he brought his MINI back to life

Thank you very much TGGRRR for the quick reply. (I remember you from Halloween event at Mini Alexandria). Have renewed my membership for 2017.

Shall wait for Haemish's response. {Maybe you can forward my message).

D&V Autobody in Sterling is very expensive, and mentioned the possible hidden costs; and five days of repairs. Besides, today I spent two hours driving there from DC and paying $20 dollars in tolls.

I need some basic fixing of a thin crack in the front black plastic bumper impact absorber. Some careless person backed up while parked. Don't need complete assembly replacement.

Please advise--somewhere close to Mini of Alexandria. Many thanks in advance.

D&V Autobody in Sterling is very expensive, and mentioned the possible hidden costs; and five days of repairs. Besides, today I spent two hours driving there from DC and paying $20 dollars in tolls.

I need some basic fixing of a thin crack in the front black plastic bumper impact absorber. Some careless person backed up while parked. Don't need complete assembly replacement.

Please advise--somewhere close to Mini of Alexandria. Many thanks in advance.

Call Passport MINI of Alexandria and ask for David Rockwell, his brother in law owns a body shop. Ask him for the contact information

Edited by TGGRRR

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Did they tell you the actual part number for the thing that needs to get replaced? I had to have the header bow in my convertible top replaced and it really helped to know the actual BMW part number since the part was listed online for about $50 and then I had GTPeace install it for me in about 30 mins. Those auto part sites have the diagrams of all the parts and how they fit together so you might be able to determine which one it is and then ask them if they can replace just that one part without all the others. Hopefully it wouldn't take 5 days - that is way too long to be without your MINI :-).

2011 Spice Orange Cabrio - embracing the chrome!

Comrades and Camaradas.

Some careless fool damaged my front bumper. There is a thin crack in the black plastic panel under the grille.

Need your suggestions for a great repair shop.

Thank you; I wish I could trace the culprit!

Simba

Are you talking about the glossy black bumper cover? It's a $55 part and comes as you see it, no painting required. If a body shop replaces it, you're looking at a ~$200 bill (due to the labor). Ask me how I know ;)

-Jim

Thank you Jim. That's it. The part is $55; and D&V is asking $600 and five days. Plus, they are referring to hidden costs. HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

First of all, D&V is probably one of THE best body shops in the area, hands-down. Nobody will tell you they're cheap, because they're not. I have friends with high-end cars, not to mention well-trusted detailers, that only deal with D&V. That speaks volumes to me. If they want too much, in your opinion, go elsewhere. They're not the only game in town. Caliber Collision in Purcellville did mine, for less than my insurance deductible would have been.

Take a photo of the specific piece that is broken and post it here. If it's the black shiny plastic bumper cover that your license plate bracket mounts to, then that is a $55 part. BUT the front fascia most likely needs to come off to replace it. And in my case, the lower grill surround was also cracked but you couldn't tell until parts started coming off.

Removing and re-installing all of those parts takes time, and time is money. So expect to be out a couple of hundred bucks in labor OR buy the part and install yourself. I'm sure there are folks around here willing to help out.

Sorry to hear about your damage but complaining about prices of ONE PLACE isn't productive. If you don't like the prices or their suggestions, move on. Plenty of places in the DC area to deal with.

-Jim

Thank Jim.

I am complaining about the quoted estimate of $600 by D&V--because half of the amount is mentioned as the cost of the paint and labor for the paint [whereas the glossy black bumper requires no paint]. There is a difference between doing a great job (however expensive) and maintaining a business integrity.

Just wanted to share; and yes; I have moved on, Sulaiman

Edited by Salmi

Thank Jim.

I am complaining about the quoted estimate of $600 by D&V--because half of the amount is mentioned as the cost of the paint and labor for the paint [whereas the glossy black bumper requires no paint]. There is a difference between doing a great job (however expensive) and maintaining a business integrity.

To be fair, not even my shop knew there would be no painting until the part arrived. My guess is, they didn't know, either.

Hopefully you found a solution that works for you. Good luck!

Peace,

Jim

To restate what Laura and Jim stated above, you get what you pay for (and wait for), and D&V is one of, if not THE, highest quality body shops in the D.C. region.

Are they the fastest? Are they the cheapest? No.

It depends on what your priorities are.

After some really bad experiences at some other body shops, after finding D&V, I won't take my MINI (or any of my cars) anywhere else for body work.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129