HasAnMTBProblem

R60 Battery Drain Warning

Hello, another minor issue for me. On my 2012 R60, most days when I get in the car and start it up it gives me a warning that something is draining the battery. Ever seen this before? Kind of want to have some ideas before I take it into the shop, since this sort of thing can super hard to track down and the shop may not be very interested in spending that kind of time on extended warranty work.

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Before I start my ramble, let me first say that I'm NOT a under the hood car person at all, I'm a computer systems architect so you will want to check anything with the folks that know for sure!

When I was reading all kinds of things trying to confirm my options on connecting my iPhone/iPod/USB to my 2011 R57, I remember reading some posts about those devices causing issues with the radio not going into sleep mode properly if they were left connected after the car was turned off. The radio would come on and off on it's own when the car was parked. I think that there was even someone who posted something about having to reprogram the MINI computer to get the problem to stop (don't remember where but maybe on northamericanmotoring.com).

I actually noticed that one of my SanDisk USB drives continued to have the power light ON even after I turned the car off and removed the key. That bothered me so much that I switched to a "dumb" USB instead.

Not sure if this has anything to do with what's happening to you but it seems like it happens to bunches of folks.

2011 Spice Orange Cabrio - embracing the chrome!

Yeah, as a computer guy, I'd say that's not impossible, though doesn't seem likely. Anyway, there aren't any devices left plugged. There is a USB charger that is left plugged into the lighter, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with the radio.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it, I wonder if the lighter stays active even when it's off. It does have this little blue light that comes on when it's plugged in. I haven't noticed if it stays on or not. I'll check next time I go out there.

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Holy cow, there's a lot of info in there. Lots of stuff to try!

Haven't tested anything yet, but I did unplug a usb phone charger that has a power LED indicator. I also put the car on the charger. Charger indicated 56%. Charged it up to 100%. No battery drain warning, yet. Will drive it for a week or two and check the level again.

Yeah, true enough.

Haven't had any more battery drain warnings since I charged up the battery all the way. It's only been 2 days, though.

I did notice that this thing is really sensitive to battery drain, though. Yesterday, I turned on the ignition and within maybe 30 seconds it was yelling at me about low battery, and that it was going to disconnect the battery soon. Not sure how anyone is supposed to work on their car with it being that sensitive.

Yeah, true enough.

Haven't had any more battery drain warnings since I charged up the battery all the way. It's only been 2 days, though.

I did notice that this thing is really sensitive to battery drain, though. Yesterday, I turned on the ignition and within maybe 30 seconds it was yelling at me about low battery, and that it was going to disconnect the battery soon. Not sure how anyone is supposed to work on their car with it being that sensitive.

Just keep in mind that if the battery is going south, it will fail to maintain a charge and as Dan said, car electrics hate a discharged battery.

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

Yeah, that's why I'm going to drive it for a week a two and then take a voltage reading again; see if the battery is holding a charge. ...or if the alternator is putting out the needed amps.

Shush, Brian. Ima do it mah way!

The shop says the battery and alternator, both need to be replaced. I'm like, whatevs. That's what the 30 day warranty is for. I mean, I'll be without my car for several days (no alternator in stock) but hey, what are you going to do?