tvrgeek

Oil change

How the heck? Ok, I have an overpriced cartridge oil filter. I have a stock of Amzoil. Where the heck is the filter located? What size Allen fits the drain plug, ( On only happen to have SAE) and do I have any chance without a lift?

I must say, the interior "British inconvenient" design is starting to pale compared to the BMW arrogance category. It would seem that they think only they are qualified tochange the oil, add that to their refusal to deal with the speedo problem and that I have more as delivered defects than my last 5 Honda's, the charm is wearing thin. Now ny windows "squeek" when it is damp, binding so safety kicks in and they won't close in the rain. Add that to the sunroof that won't open hot, a rattel somewhere in the drivers B pillar, gas gauge off by half and so on. :frown:

If it's a single cam engine, then the filter is on the backside of the engine, between the engine and the firewall towards the passenger side. If it's a dual cam engine, then you have to loosen the coolant bottle and move it out of the way, then you can see the canister on the driver's front of the engine, over the trans. The allen drain plug is 8mm.

If you still aren't sure about the filter location, feel free to stop by. I work at the Goodyear on rt 301 in Bowie across from Honda of Bowie.

Jeff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For an R56 you'll need a 27mm socket to unscrew the oil filter cover. If you loosen the cover just until it's finger tight and leave it that way for a minute or two, the oil inside can drain back into the engine and it won't drip when you remove it.

As far as getting the oil out of the engine, I use an Oil Sump Pump from West Marine. Works like a charm, doesn't spill a single drop, and has a nifty pour spout to get the used oil out. I'll never use the drain plug again. :top:

Ask one of us next time you see us if you still have trouble. There is a thread on NAM with pics, but...good luck with the search function. I believe it is called DIY Oil Change (With Pics).

And just for everyone's future reference, buy everything OEM from Classic MINI in Ohio. I got the OEM R56 Oil Filters, for $7.95 each. Same price as the german-filters.com knock off that I had before, and cheaper than anywhere I have found them. Make sure you ask for the NAM discount. Their retail price is already cheaper than anywhere, then the NAM price is lower then that. Just passing along the info to my fellow peeps in case you all didn't know.

Here is the address for the parts department.

bmwparts@classicautocampus.com

Good Luck.

Daniel/D-Unit - have you price shopped with Morristown MINI? Just curious... their prices are almost always 20% under MSRP. I just wondered that they might be competitive with Classic MINI.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

If it's a single cam engine, then the filter is on the backside of the engine, between the engine and the firewall towards the passenger side. If it's a dual cam engine, then you have to loosen the coolant bottle and move it out of the way, then you can see the canister on the driver's front of the engine, over the trans. The allen drain plug is 8mm.

If you still aren't sure about the filter location, feel free to stop by. I work at the Goodyear on rt 301 in Bowie across from Honda of Bowie.

Jeff

I might take you up on that. I am just up by the high school. If I bring my oil and my filter, what would GoodYear charge mer for the labor? (Gettilg lazey in my old age)

Great link. Much thanks. I would never have found it!

Thanks to all. Good info. My experience is with OLD British cars. TVR, Morgan, TR, etc. I can work my way around a Honda but this is a new kind of beast. It is just getting harder than it used to be 30 years ago. But I just sold my RSX so maybe I can afford some decent tires and dump these run-flats. I really hope I can get it to handle as well as the RSX did. ( It was prepped a tad)

Daniel/D-Unit - have you price shopped with Morristown MINI? Just curious... their prices are almost always 20% under MSRP. I just wondered that they might be competitive with Classic MINI.

That WAS my go to. But I think the prices are similar, then you get the NAM discount too. Check it out with a part on Morristown's site. E-mail Classic and see what the NAM price is.:top:

Normally $20, but for a member we'll do $15 to change the oil with your supplies.

Jeff

Jeff is great !!! :top:

As a comparison, at MoA the filter is $9.96 and the MINI oil is $6.20/qt. Everything for a complete oil change out the door with tax is just $43.42, and that's without a discount. If you're buying mail order, don't forget to include the cost of shipping. Sometimes it's cheaper to support our local dealers. Just my two cents. :stupid:

And as Maxi and others have said, Jeff is totally great! I've seen him go way out of his way to help out club members on several occasions, and there's no better person to have working on your behalf!

Hope this is not a warning. After only 4K, I finally got time to slide under there and change the oil for the first time. Only 4 quarts came out. 5 went back in. I sure hope that is due to it being a brand new engine, but then again, never had that with any of my last 5 Honda's.

At least it does not dump a cup of oil on the steering rack and chassis like the RSX. It would drip for a week!

BTW, the $18 Purolater filter does not come with a copper washer. Only the O-ring.