chrimson

Compact spare tire on Cooper S

In preparation for my first DCMM run and since I've had the car less than two weeks from a sketchy used-car dealer, I had fluids checked and a wheel which seemed to have a slow leak looked at by PepBoys. Turned out the tire was fine, it's the rim that's a little bent, I'm guessing from a pothole I hit so hard I was surprised the tire didn't just blow :banghead: They added sealant for free but advised me to replace the rim if it keeps leaking.

Which brought up a related concern: I don't have a compact spare tire where its space is under the boot. I believe stock tires would have been run-flat, but my particular OEM 17" upgrade weren't (contrary to what the used-car dealer convinced me). So I called MINI of Montgomery County and they explained a spare wasn't included because it wouldn't have fitted in the front brakes of the Cooper S. So on a front flat, I would either have to install the spare on the rear then swap that rear with the flat, OR apply Fix-a-Flat or Green Slime then pump it up. I picked up FaF for now, but am tempted to add the compact spare and endure the whole swapperoo for more peace-of-mind in the case of a serious blowout.

I'd like to read some of your concurrence with what MoMC said, opinions and tips, but I also look forward to discussing it in person at tomorrow's run! And forgive me if it's already been addressed or a newbie fundamental issue, I searched but couldn't find an exact match :dontknow: Thanks!

-Chris

Detroit Tuned carries a compact spare that will fit over most brakes.

http://www.detroittuned.com/mini-cooper-spare-tire-4-lug/

Michael and I have both switched from run-flats to regular tires, but no spare. We both carry plug kits and a compressor. This won't help if you completely blow out a tire, but run-flats won't help with that either. (I hit a pot hole last winter and blew out the sidewall on my winter run-flats).

I hope this helps!

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I don't know about the ability to have a spare in a Roadster. It's my understanding that all Roadsters came with run flats, unless the owner specified elsewise. I've stuck with the run flats for the very reason of the difficulty in having a spare. Although the ride isn't as great, the chances of getting a flat are lessened. I purchased the lifetime tire and rim insurance from MOS and have used both - a screw damaged one so badly that it had to be replaced, which cost me nothing and I curb-rashed a rim, but now you'd never know it.

image.php?u=179&type=sigpic&dateline=140

Where do you mount the spare in a roadster?

I also got a spare when I did my first Dragon. Didn't use it then, but have used it several times since (all three times on a front tire, so yeah, it meant rotating a rear tire to the front and putting the donut on the rear. Once at night and in the rain in Rock Creek. Fun...NOT!)

For my first Dragon I also upgraded my AAA to 200 miles towing and almost needed it when I went to the Dragon in 2015. On the way home (I'd left a day early on Sat), pulling into a Starbucks in Asheville I got a CEL and my MINI wouldn't start. After letting it sit and cool and a couple of attempts at restarting I was able to get it to run in limp mode (thanks Celia!) and I limped the 130 miles to Hendrick MINI in Charlotte. Alternative was 120 miles to MINI of Knoxville.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Where do you mount the spare in a roadster?

I also got a spare when I did my first Dragon. Didn't use it then, but have used it several times since (all three times on a front tire, so yeah, it meant rotating a rear tire to the front and putting the donut on the rear. Once at night and in the rain in Rock Creek. Fun...NOT!)

For my first Dragon I also upgraded my AAA to 200 miles towing and almost needed it when I went to the Dragon in 2015. On the way home (I'd left a day early on Sat), pulling into a Starbucks in Asheville I got a CEL and my MINI wouldn't start. After letting it sit and cool and a couple of attempts at restarting I was able to get it to run in limp mode (thanks Celia!) and I limped the 130 miles to Hendrick MINI in Charlotte. Alternative was 120 miles to MINI of Knoxville.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Wow, quite a bit of experience.

Not sure why I once felt discouraged about having room to carry a spare, maybe I didn't see the pictures at DetroitTuned of the tire sitting between front and rear passenger seats. But the Roadster has as much room behind its front passenger seat as well.

My extended warranty provides roadside assistance, so I should be covered but, at worst, I've had the tire-repair kit. I'll hope the odds just never get to that.

But thanks for the thoughts!

-Chris

In preparation for my first DCMM run and since I've had the car less than two weeks from a sketchy used-car dealer, I had fluids checked and a wheel which seemed to have a slow leak looked at by PepBoys. Turned out the tire was fine, it's the rim that's a little bent, I'm guessing from a pothole I hit so hard I was surprised the tire didn't just blow :banghead: They added sealant for free but advised me to replace the rim if it keeps leaking.

Which brought up a related concern: I don't have a compact spare tire where its space is under the boot. I believe stock tires would have been run-flat, but my particular OEM 17" upgrade weren't (contrary to what the used-car dealer convinced me). So I called MINI of Montgomery County and they explained a spare wasn't included because it wouldn't have fitted in the front brakes of the Cooper S. So on a front flat, I would either have to install the spare on the rear then swap that rear with the flat, OR apply Fix-a-Flat or Green Slime then pump it up. I picked up FaF for now, but am tempted to add the compact spare and endure the whole swapperoo for more peace-of-mind in the case of a serious blowout.

I'd like to read some of your concurrence with what MoMC said, opinions and tips, but I also look forward to discussing it in person at tomorrow's run! And forgive me if it's already been addressed or a newbie fundamental issue, I searched but couldn't find an exact match :dontknow: Thanks!

I share your pain. I could have ordered the spare when I got my car, but the salesman at Sterling convinced me I didn't need it with the run flats. I regretted that decision after it was too late to change the order. Go to this link https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/313033-spare-tire-install-with-storage-package.html to read about my experience getting and storing my spare. I know it's different than your car, but Chad at Detroit Tuned was very helpful fixing me up and he can probably supply you with the proper spare.

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

I share your pain. I could have ordered the spare when I got my car, but the salesman at Sterling convinced me I didn't need it with the run flats. I regretted that decision after it was too late to change the order. Go to this link https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/313033-spare-tire-install-with-storage-package.html to read about my experience getting and storing my spare. I know it's different than your car, but Chad at Detroit Tuned was very helpful fixing me up and he can probably supply you with the proper spare.

And I was annoyed at having to buy a different tray insert than came with my Clubbie (http://www.detroittuned.com/mini-spare-tire-tray-hold-down/) when I bought my spare. You win [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13