richs10

Confused about this forum... what happened to all the posts?

I wound up at this site by clicking the DCMini sub-forum at NAM. I had to re-register (?) and sign in, but I'm still not where I thought I was going. There used to be a ton of local threads. What happened? Or am I just lost?

Thanks

Confused Rich

I wound up at this site by clicking the DCMini sub-forum at NAM. I had to re-register (?) and sign in, but I'm still not where I thought I was going. There used to be a ton of local threads. What happened? Or am I just lost?

Thanks

Confused Rich

To see the majority of posts you have to be a paying member of DCMM. While I don't necessarily agree with that policy, that is how the board choose to operate the forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, Jeremy.

I just found the notice of the new forum and the archived threads at NAM. I wish you guys well with this, but I just watched a very successful hot tub forum essentially commit suicide in a similar fashion. No traffic at all now.

Hope it works out.

Rich

Rich,

There are a number of reasons why we have gone semi-private (yep, semi-private... after all, you're reading this in a public area, right?). I won't go into those reasons here, but they have been discussed at length in the members area.

As for all of the threads on NAM, we were unable to move them here, because this is a completely separate, standalone forum that is not part of NAM. That's why all of the old DCMM threads on NAM are "archived" so we can still go look them up, and also why you had to "re-register" as you see it.

As for DCMM "committing suicide" by doing this, I think you are mistaken on that one. We still have a vibrant membership here - with forum activity every day. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it, but DCMM is first and foremost about its members! Everyone is welcome to join though - we're not some kind of exclusive "clique" that picks and chooses who is welcome in the club. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks, Edge.

Sorry if I conveyed the wrong impression. Initially, I was just lost for a little bit til I got my bearings and realized what happened. Regarding the change, I liked the old set-up but I understand if it did not conform to your present needs. And I was just making an general observation regarding the hot tub forum I mentioned.

Again, good luck with the transition.

Rich

Thanks, Edge.

Sorry if I conveyed the wrong impression. Initially, I was just lost for a little bit til I got my bearings and realized what happened. Regarding the change, I liked the old set-up but I understand if it did not conform to your present needs. And I was just making an general observation regarding the hot tub forum I mentioned.

Again, good luck with the transition.

Rich

No problem, Rich!

As for the transition, it's well and truly completed. DCMM has been on these forums exclusively since March 1st! The month of February was the "transition" month, when the new forums were up but we had not yet shut down the NAM-based forum.

Initially, we had the Events forum in the private area... but much internal member debate had us change course there, so it has been in the public area for quite some time now. The board is always willing to listen to the needs and concerns of the members. Healthy debate is always a good thing. Not everyone will agree on everything, but as long as every member's opinion is respected and considered, the board will try our best to figure out what is the best overall direction of the club. Of course, the board members can (and do change) over time, so I try to remind members that if you don't like the direction the club is going, and you don't feel your concerns are being fully accepted/considered, step up and run for the board! It's a democracy, not a dictatorship! :biggrin:

The old setup on NAM was great for a long time, but there are a number of factors that weighed into the 2008-2009 board's decision to move away from NAM. As someone who has been very active on NAM (including assisting in the management of it) and by proxy a "NAM supporter", I still agreed that it was time for DCMM to move out on our own, and for the most part, it has been a very successful transition. :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

See what you started Ed !?!??!?!?!? :laugh:

What I started :questionmark: I think the OP, richs10, might have made the first reference :stupid: I just wanted to inject an opportunity for our members to explore and appreciate the possibilities... I LOVE hot tubs! :top:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread though... sorry :embarassed:

When you consider the welcome package you get when you become a paying member, it isn't a big deal. Most people would end up buying the same stuff if it was offered for sale and probably be willing to pay more. Plus, this probably saves the forum from some trolls who would just come in here to stir up trouble. I've only been a member for two weeks, but I like this place a lot already.

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI