My R53 spent most of its daytime life in parking garages shielded from the sun until I moved to NC. Parking Garages aren't so common here. Anyone with a first gen (or even second gen) that has kept there car outside knows the damage the sun can do. In particular, the headlights. Mine had become really yellowed and fogged. I considered replacement and even though I can do the labor myself, which involves swapping the bulbs, washer mechanism and wiring, total cost is still something like $1300.00 :frown:

Pelican Parts: (Cheapest)

Drivers - 63-12-7-198-739-BOE - $652.25

Passengers - 63-12-7-198-740-BOE - $652.25

So, I found a tutorial on how to restore them myself. I think it is a better job than the store-bought resto-kits that can be found in the auto shops. Slightly more expensive, but still far less than $1300!!!

Anyhow... so far, I've done my driver's side headlight, so I wanted to post results for all to see. The tutorial I used is found on Youtube -

It took me about 2 hours and I think the results are quite impressive!

Here's a picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1825&d=1455770286http:

IMG_1022.jpg.b7ea02d522bce15b2ec00573da6a2971.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg.b7ea02d522bce15b2ec00573da6a2971.jpg

Edited by Scavenger

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Very Nice, it is a very simple process I recommend that anyone to do it. Wet sand till the water runs clear, and you have removed the oxidation and any light scratches.

Any light abrasive will work (i.e. toothpaste if you want to be really cheap)

Looks great!!!:top:

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

UPDATE::::

This evening, I got around to finishing my project by completing the passenger side. Here is a pic. I think it looks great!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1831&d=1456804132

I'm very happy with the results and affordability of this process, and I recommend it to those not wanting to spend over thousand for new parts.

PassengerHeadlightCloseup.thumb.jpg.37d6c91812f18fd4aef19274c4495b41.jpg

PassengerHeadlightCloseup.thumb.jpg.37d6c91812f18fd4aef19274c4495b41.jpg

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

BA is bright eyed and cheery. I need to do this for Tigger

You should... or Mark should :wink::tongue::laugh: Once the clearcoat has had plenty of time to set and I make any final touch ups, I'll post a full picture that'll better show the results.

Very Nice, it is a very simple process I recommend that anyone to do it. Wet sand till the water runs clear, and you have removed the oxidation and any light scratches.

Any light abrasive will work (i.e. toothpaste if you want to be really cheap)

Looks great!!!:top:

Yep, I tried toothpaste first, but the amount of elbow grease you'll need and the final result really just isn't worth the time. I wanted a result that would last a while, I hope several years! This seems to be it, but time will tell.

Thanks for the compliments! :top: Now it is time for some :motor:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Looks great. Did the kit come with a UV sealant to use after wet sanding.
No, it's not a kit, I bought everything separately, basically following the list in the tutorial. After sanding, I sprayed it with Clear paint.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Clear paint? sounds like a sealant must have been applied. BTW, been meaning to ask, has anyone ever tried using plain (non-gel) toothpaste to get the lens clear before? curious how well it works.

Edited by ucf3

2k10 Mini Cooper S (R56) 6sp, Coilover suspension, K&N Intake, Alta hotside, Stoptech Rotors, 17" white wheels w/ Conti DW, and resonator delete, S42 turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, tuned 250whp.

2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.

2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius radio (Totalled)

2k14 Audi R8 5.2 Suzuka Grey, Larini Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius, K&N Filters w/ silicoln sleeve and tuned.

Clear paint? sounds like a sealant must have been applied. BTW, been meaning to ask, has anyone ever tried using plain (non-gel) toothpaste to get the lens clear before? curious how well it works.

I have use regular old tooth paste it works for light oxidation, toothpaste is just a mild abrasive compound like any product to you would buy for the headlights. I takes some elbow grease. If they are cloudy, you are better going with a wet sanding with find sand paper. Start at 1000 and work up to 2500, then seal them. Just my opinion

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Nice, thanks for the tip 1975_mini.

2k10 Mini Cooper S (R56) 6sp, Coilover suspension, K&N Intake, Alta hotside, Stoptech Rotors, 17" white wheels w/ Conti DW, and resonator delete, S42 turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, tuned 250whp.

2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius radio (Totalled)

2k14 Audi R8 5.2 Suzuka Grey, Larini Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius, K&N Filters w/ silicoln sleeve and tuned.

If people want, I can get club members the BG restoration kit at a really good discount.

Love to get some BG restore. Anything to help my oil burning engine. Let me know when you're ready to buy.