Donross

Insights and Must DOs for First time on Dragon [MOTD14]

Okay, so I'm hoping for a little direction on this...my first time headed to MOTD. First time to the Dragon actually.

Going from the site, http://www.minisonthedragon.com/2016-intro.php, I'm waiting until the 15th to register.

Just curious where most are staying... a little behind the power curve on this on getting a room I guess. Where are some good places to rest the head, with a reasonable distance from where most of the events are happening.

I would like to accomplish as much as possible, but I wonder what things are a must do for a firsty.

Any guidance/direction is MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Ross

Most of the drives start from Fontna Village so the cabins or lodge is the ideal place to stay, but at this point you'd be joining a waiting list with the the only real chance of getting something is to keep checking with them. My first year I did the Microtel in Robbinsville, ~30 minutes away but right across the street from a gas station which is good if you plan on doing a few runs every day. I was able to get in there with reserving it around this time of year.

The more important part of registration is Feb 12th at 7am when the drives open up, you want to be quick for those ones as they fill up quick.

IMG_0147.jpg

Tapoco lodge is another good option. In the past people had problems with them, but that was the previous owners. It was sold in the winter of 14. The current owners, while still keeping it extremely nice have opened it everyone (previously it was very exclusive). I've heard nothing but good things since then. Your best bet to stay at Fontana is to make friends and see who has a spare room in their cabin and get on the waiting list as soon as you can. Camping is another option at Fontana, it is extremely cheap, but it actually sold out (for the first time in the few years that I have been going with this group) last year. Spots are only $25 a day!

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Don't over commit the first year, especially on the drives.

+1 !! Also, unless the drives have specific stops (like lunch plans or some other attraction) then there really isn't any limit so don't go rushing to sign up for something like that. BINGO however fills up fast, you must do that.

I don't know your driving history/ability but smaller group drives are the best, theres nothing worse than driving the dragon in "DC traffic" conditions.

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Don't feel you need to do everything the first year. You are on vacation, slow down a little. The real attraction are your 900 closest friends who all have MINIs. Check out North American Motoring and Motoring Alliance. They will both have threads for people looking for and offering rooms. Fontana is the best place to stay, but you will have a good time where ever you are. Sign up for some drives, The Cherohala Parkway is really spectacular. Don't be bashful. Everyone there wants to meet you and we all have a common bond to get the conversation started.

If you can swing it, take the whole week off and go down on the weekend prior. You'll enjoy several days of quiet bliss with a smaller group of MINIs before the big crowd arrives. Both are fun - different kinds of fun! And don't worry, a strong DCMM contingent always goes down every year.

As for the drives, I echo what others have said, don't overcommit.

BTW I may be leading a drive at MOTD myself this year... I have to make some calls first, to sort out logistics. :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

+2 on don't over commit. It's very hard NOT to do once all of the runs open up, but if you book runs back-to-back-to-back you'll end up missing one either because a run returned late, or you were just too worn out to do the last one.

I've found it best to sign up to no more than one per day, and follow your nose after that. If there is another run you want to do the same day, just show up, often there is a no-show spot you can take.

(IMHO) if you can get a cabin at Fontana, do so.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Just my 2 pesos...

Not meant to conflict with any previous responses.

1. Don't overcommit to runs (drives)

2. Don't commit to large mod project on vendor row

3. Spend plenty of time on vendor row learning about mods, maintenance and shopping :biggrin:

4. Fontana Village is where it's at... I'll sleep on a couch there before I EVER sleep in a luxury suite somewhere else :laugh: (some folks camp!)

I'm sure there's more....

DAMN, I'm excited! (I've missed 2 or 3 years now)

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Just my 2 pesos...

3. Spend plenty of time on vendor row learning about mods, maintenance and shopping :biggrin:

4. Fontana Village is where it's at... I'll sleep on a couch there before I EVER sleep in a luxury suite somewhere else :laugh: (some folks camp!)

And don't forget to come visit me on Vendor row to get your MINI photographed :biggrin:

If you haven't found a room yet, go to Motoring Alliance and check the thread for got a room, need a room

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Just my 2 pesos...

1. I'm only slated for 1 drive each day, Really excited for the Coaster on the first day :rock:

2. looking to have 'modest' mods done before i go ;) [PTuning is going to take care of me]

3. Hoping to do this in the off times, looking forward to seeing a bunch of vendors in one spot

4. I'm doing my best on this...everywhere is booked up. Worse case I pitch a tent :rofl: i couldn't resist saying that.

When is everyone cruising down?

I'm so excited.... My MINI has been fixed up thanks to G3 Automotive here in NC. (G3 will be a vendor this year also). I got a box on the porch today with some more stuff in it :biggrin:

I was just thinking about all the different MINIs that will be there this year, including new Clubman. I remember my first MOTD when first gens were the only thing that existed. Then, later the R56 came out and we were tryng to decide if we liked it or not..... them came Clubman, Paceman, F56..... OMG

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com