TGGRRR (Ali)

Phil Wicks Driving School

Oct 19, 2015

Non MINIs are allowed at this event

Flow MINI is hosting a driving school at VIR on Oct 19th

$375 per person before September 15, 2015; $400 per person thereafter

The cost includes full instruction and track time. Your tires will probably get a lot of wear.

Phil Wicks Driving Academy

Virginia International Raceway – Full Course -- Danville VA – Monday, October 19, 2015

2 Separate Run Groups – Group 1:Novice – Group 2:Advanced

$375 per person before September 15

PHIL WICKS, veteran British racecar driver and stunt driver in movies such as the original “Italian Job” and “Grand Prix”, is the owner of Phil Wicks Driving Academy. He earned recognition and became a works supported driver for Mini Cooper and Fiat/Abarth in the European Touring Car Championship on tracks such as the Nurburgring, Spa, Zandvoort, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, and others worldwide. He worked as a development engineer for Lamborghini and opened Lamborghini UK dealership in England.

PHIL WICKS DRIVING ACADEMY

After your selected upgrades for your car,

THE MOST IMPORTANT UPGRADE IS THE DRIVER

Many drivers consider themselves good drivers – BUT ARE YOU? How safe, what car control do you really have. Participate in the Phil Wicks Driving Academy and you will be a better, safer driver

In a controlled environment, experience proper car control, accident avoidance, economical driving, detailed explanations and practical driving utilizing all of the features of your car. Experience the fun and thrill of driving on a race track along with expert classroom instruction teaching you how to realize your MINI’s true potential.

PHIL WICKS DRIVING ACADEMY

www.minidriving.com

314-330-6449

xEPMsFKs7YmM8bsAMlyf2OwTPszAMZMeayGCpJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCxEPMsFKs7YmM8bsAMlyf2OwTPszAMZMeayGCpJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCxEPMsFKs7YmM8bsAMlyf2OwTPszAMZMeayGCpJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC e-mail: Racerwicks@AOL.com

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Quote from the event description: "Because this is a school and not competitive your insurance will be fine."

do we have documention that this is the case? Most insurance policies are excluding on (or rather off) track incidents. timed events or schools, happens at a racetrack it raises eyebrows.

-Dictated but not read to expedite report

Quote from the event description: "Because this is a school and not competitive your insurance will be fine."

do we have documention that this is the case? Most insurance policies are excluding on (or rather off) track incidents. timed events or schools, happens at a racetrack it raises eyebrows.

I will verify this with him. He told me a while ago that because it's not competitive and there's no timing and it's a school that it's fine. As an aside last year there was an accident at an autocross test and tune and his insurance did pay because it was not a timed event.

Tyler - I think as long as you pay the money he won't care what you show up in. I'm uploading the documents after I post this. There are no written statements regarding vehicle restrictions

Tggrrr010.jpg

If anybody's on the fence about going... JUST DO IT :motor:

This is absolutely the most fun you can have in your MINI with your shoes on. I've done a couple of them, and can't recommend Phil's course highly enough. His instructors are top notch, and if you haven't done this before, you'll come away with a whole new appreciation of your car. :rock:

If anybody's on the fence about going... JUST DO IT :motor:

This is absolutely the most fun you can have in your MINI with your shoes on. I've done a couple of them, and can't recommend Phil's course highly enough. His instructors are top notch, and if you haven't done this before, you'll come away with a whole new appreciation of your car. :rock:

I'm planning to do it in my Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm planning to do it in my Countryman

Excellent. :tee:

If you have access to a GoPro or other mountable in-car camera, you'll have some terrific memories, and proof of how well you did! My first time there I was recording and captured some unfortunate driving by another student. It was so bad that I deliberately erased that tape so I wouldn't be tempted to show it to anybody else. :laugh: Blackmail did come to mind, though.

I'm sure there is a lot of good advice available, and I'll add a few thoughts. Be sure your engine oil is fresh, and it would be a good idea to flush your brake fluid. Any moisture in brake fluid will boil at track temperatures, and that can sometimes result in one of those butt pucker moments at the end of the straightaway.

Good tires and brakes are obvious. Torque your lug nuts to spec. A full tank of gas before you get there is a good idea, as you'll be burning dead dinosaurs at an accelerated rate. My Justacooper indicated an average mpg for the day around 22 I think, instead of his usual 40+.

Too bad the old Oak tree came down... it was a nice target to drift around just before the front straight. I enjoyed the shade, too.

I wish I still had Dr. P, 'cause I'd love to dance around that track again. I might just come down in the Mustang GT to watch. Maybe Phil will let me take a lap for old time's sake.

Enjoy!

I'll see if I can borrow a GoPro

River (the Countryman) is new to me, I just got her on Thurs. She came with runflats so I don't mind destroying them and then I can get some non runflats on her.

You should come down in the Mustang

Excellent. :tee:

If you have access to a GoPro or other mountable in-car camera, you'll have some terrific memories, and proof of how well you did! My first time there I was recording and captured some unfortunate driving by another student. It was so bad that I deliberately erased that tape so I wouldn't be tempted to show it to anybody else. :laugh: Blackmail did come to mind, though.

I'm sure there is a lot of good advice available, and I'll add a few thoughts. Be sure your engine oil is fresh, and it would be a good idea to flush your brake fluid. Any moisture in brake fluid will boil at track temperatures, and that can sometimes result in one of those butt pucker moments at the end of the straightaway.

Good tires and brakes are obvious. Torque your lug nuts to spec. A full tank of gas before you get there is a good idea, as you'll be burning dead dinosaurs at an accelerated rate. My Justacooper indicated an average mpg for the day around 22 I think, instead of his usual 40+.

Too bad the old Oak tree came down... it was a nice target to drift around just before the front straight. I enjoyed the shade, too.

I wish I still had Dr. P, 'cause I'd love to dance around that track again. I might just come down in the Mustang GT to watch. Maybe Phil will let me take a lap for old time's sake.

Enjoy!

Tggrrr010.jpg

I will verify this with him. He told me a while ago that because it's not competitive and there's no timing and it's a school that it's fine. As an aside last year there was an accident at an autocross test and tune and his insurance did pay because it was not a timed event.

I get the reasoning; however, I've heard of a number of people who have had their insurance back away during an event at a DE (non-timed, and labeled as a school)

years ago it was a different story and you could get away with a track event falling under your policy/not excluded. however, my understanding is the language of policies has changed in the recent years to include more exclusions.

also, with Lockton (and the like) offering track day/DE insurance these days, makes me more inclined to think 'regular' auto policies might leave you hanging.

-Dictated but not read to expedite report

Unless the course has changed, there WILL be a timed event at the conclusion. Just a few cars are sent onto the track at about 20 or 30 second intervals so that they (usually) won't get close to each other, and each car will be timed from a standing start for one lap. It's a technicality, but that will be a timed lap. Insurance companies are in business to decline claims and have a bunch of lawyers whose only purpose in life is to find a way to not pay claims. This event falls into a gray area at best, and at worst is a clear cut case of a timed or HPDE event. It wouldn't take much online research to discover what really happens at one of these events.

As long as you don't go full retard and crash into something, it's an extremely safe event. The worst thing most folks can expect is to go wide on a turn and run off through the giggle weeds. No harm, no foul. VIR has lots of good runoff areas, too.

I'll see if I can borrow a GoPro

River (the Countryman) is new to me, I just got her on Thurs. She came with runflats so I don't mind destroying them and then I can get some non runflats on her.

You should come down in the Mustang

I'll have 3 of them if you want to borrow one I'll have them all down there

I'd love to go, but at 10 1/2 years and 122,000 miles and counting on Mr. OEM, I don't think any more track days are advisable, as the heavy dose of associated wear-and-tear is just too much for him now, I think. It's the same reason I stopped doing autocross. It's already gotten very expensive to keep it properly maintained for daily driving, let alone track days.

Oh, if only I could own a dedicated track MINI! :motor:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I'd love to go, but at 10 1/2 years and 122,000 miles and counting on Mr. OEM, I don't think any more track days are advisable, as the heavy dose of associated wear-and-tear is just too much for him now, I think. It's the same reason I stopped doing autocross. It's already gotten very expensive to keep it properly maintained for daily driving, let alone track days.

Oh, if only I could own a dedicated track MINI! :motor:

This is why my beloved Tigger isn't going. I totally understand

Tggrrr010.jpg

I've taken Cricket to the Phil Wicks school twice. While I enjoyed it both times, the first time was a lot better. I did learn a lot about my car and how to handle her. That was back in 2008, so she was still completely stock, including runflat all-seasons. I'd love to go again, but like Tigger and Mr. OEM, she's just too old.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I get the reasoning; however, I've heard of a number of people who have had their insurance back away during an event at a DE (non-timed, and labeled as a school)

years ago it was a different story and you could get away with a track event falling under your policy/not excluded. however, my understanding is the language of policies has changed in the recent years to include more exclusions.

also, with Lockton (and the like) offering track day/DE insurance these days, makes me more inclined to think 'regular' auto policies might leave you hanging.

I deleted my statement and I appreciate you bringing it up. I wrote Phil and he said that each person should call their insurance and emphasize that it's safety training, but that if they're worried he recommended a place where you can buy insurance for the day.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Yes bringing again this year you can shoot while the other group is on the track there is a great spot you can go out to. What level did u sign up for?

I'll sign up for beginner, I've never been on a track. Mark will probably be advanced but I don't know. He's tracked a fair amount.

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have an in-car camera mount that attaches to the headrest if anybody would like to borrow it. Puts the camera between the front seats and gives a great view of the instruments, drivers hands, and through the windshield.

I would love to borrow it

Tggrrr010.jpg