1975_mini

Painting my wheels: whats your opinion

I am looking the change up Watson's wheels I am going to paint them and having trouble deciding the look to go with. I have three possible patterns.

1) white

2) white spokes with blue rim (body matching)

3) blue spokes (body matching with white rim

4) open to ideas

Here is an up close of the wheel in question 10" mambas and also a photo of watson so you know the blue I am taking about. Thanks for your input.

173A2B3C-EC5D-4BCA-BCFA-31185494930A_zpsnkytp2yz.jpg

10988428455_1c4c850143_o_zps9c87cb60.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

I am looking the change up Watson's wheels I am going to paint them and having trouble deciding the look to go with. I have three possible patterns.

1) white

2) white spokes with blue rim (body matching)

3) blue spokes (body matching with white rim

4) open to ideas

Here is an up close of the wheel in question 10" mambas and also a photo of watson so you know the blue I am taking about. Thanks for your input.

Hmm - those wheels almost look like a Union Jack... I don't suppose a red/white/blue motif that simulates a British flag would work? :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Hmm - those wheels almost look like a Union Jack... I don't suppose a red/white/blue motif that simulates a British flag would work? :smile:

Interesting idea, I will have to thing about that one

1975Mini001.jpg

I think the wheels look good as-is. A classic look for a classic car. But if you really want to change the color of the wheels I'd suggest plasti-dip instead of paint. You can convert back to the class look later if you need to do so.

White spokes with blue rims will pop more IMO than blue spokes with white rims. That blue though may be a tough match. Another option would be to leave the spokes chrome and do the rims blue. You don't have anything white on the rest of the car so I'm having a difficult time picturing how white spokes/rims/both would look overall.

Chris,

Thanks I do like classic. I have been trying to dig up a set of the steel rims with moon hub caps it came with and those were painted white. I hope to find a set soon as I am a bit of a purest at heart.

Since these are someone after market rims I figured spice them out a bit.

PD is a good test run that's how I tested a white Union Jack roof. Might just use these rims as the demo at the PD party in June.

I got lucky for matching the paint. It is wind jammer blue a Range Rover color from the early 2000s. I found a company that does user selected paint codes in rattle can. I ordered from the when I stripped and re sprayed the engine compartment and was impressed with the result. Still have a spare can. Thanks again for the input.

1975Mini001.jpg

I did mine today...5 layers matte black and a couple of gold metalizer

59cedb78cbd35_20150516_1313171.jpg.5805d24f829138b2c1fcb5332aec2b01.jpg

59cedb78cbd35_20150516_1313171.jpg.5805d24f829138b2c1fcb5332aec2b01.jpg

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

I was going to do that, but your photoshop skills are much stronger. I know you have a lot of projects on your plate, but not going to say no if you have some free time.

Would you like me to photoshop some versions for you?

1975Mini001.jpg

You should really start off by painting the centers. The lips can be polished up. With that blue I'd like to see a dark grey or bronze. Both hide brake dust well and will still look classy. Because the oem paints color I think it would be too much for the wheels. You don't have any other accent colors but the chrome trim. So start the labor on the lips then work the centers out.

German, they were painted silver when I bought the car. I have never seen the actual metal, but guessing rashed up pretty bad otherwise why paint them silver. I guess I need to strip them and go from there.

1975Mini001.jpg