I can't believe this happened, but another rock hit my windshield today. I was on Rt 50, almost in the same place as it happened before. :banghead: The new windshield isn't even two weeks old!!

At least I have the name of the guy who did it the last time, so it should be a lot less expensive.

Yikes, Laura !! Rotten luck. :frown:

I hope you lowered that comp deductible before this one hit you.

I can't believe this happened, but another rock hit my windshield today. I was on Rt 50, almost in the same place as it happened before. :banghead: The new windshield isn't even two weeks old!!

At least I have the name of the guy who did it the last time, so it should be a lot less expensive.

Darn it! :banghead:

I'm wondering if you opted for Edge's recommended diamond coating stuff? And if so, if it helped?

As far as trucks being legally required to inspect themselves for loose debris, I don't know. But they ARE most certainly liable for EVERYTHING that falls off their vehicles (actually, we all are). All you need is their license number to report them. I've called the companies that owned the trucks on two occasions over the past few decades, and both times got them to replace my broken windshield as long as I didn't report them to the police. Seemed like they figured it was better to settle than to fight it. Good luck, and maybe find a different route to drive? :motor:

Reviving this! Picked up a chip on my way down to the MTTS event on Saturday, by Sunday morning it was a looooooong crack. No chance to get it filled, will have to see about a replacement :frown:

I'm going to review my insurance options of course, but who that is local has had any great service or horror stories as of late?

So, any updates on the latest and greatest in windshield replacement? Seems like the Bay Bridge wanted to make sure I remembered my first trip across her glorious trestles! :banghead:

BLUR is still rocking her orginial windshield, so it is only fitting that we get her fitted for a new set of spectacles! :hmpf:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I recently had the windshield in my Lexus replaced by a shop in Sterling. They used PPG/Pilkington glass, as I recall. Was about one-third what the cost would have been at the dealer. Very happy with the entire job. If anyone wants the name of the shop, just ask.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

Alice got the usual stress fracture around 60k miles and had a *ton* of pitting and chipping. . .the PPG glass has been stellar. Also feels weird driving around with no pits in the windshield. . .it's insanely transparent now. Who woulda thunk it right?

Had it done through a local glass shop that came and did it in the parking lot where I work and took about an hour. I've had zero issues with the trim, fitment or anything else. . .aside from the installer getting black window glue *everywhere* (seriously, it looked like a 2 year old had gotten ahold of a cupcake with black frosting on the hood of my car. . .good thing the glue comes off of paint easily.) Was about $400 installed.

Edited by elpollodiablo

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used McCoy's Auto Glass in Culpeper to replace my windshield in my 2006 Chevy Colorado and he replaced it with and UPGRADED Top Tint Windshield and I paid UNDER $200.00 and he came to me.

He does all the windshield repair for the dealership that Robin works at in Warrenton.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"BLAK" 2007 MCS , Hypersport Body Kit, Alta 3" Cat-back exhaust, DoS CAI - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used AAA and not only did they do a great job, but it came with a 1 year guarantee that if it was chipped or cracked again I could replace it for $80.

I wanted to do OEM glass, the dealer wanted $1200

AAA would have done OEM, but then they don't give the warranty

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

So now I'm in this class.

I caught a kicked up rock on I-95 yesterday that gave me a star burst (before.jpg) Safelite came out this afternoon to fix it. He wasn't successful (after.jpg) - now it has wings :mad: The Safelite guy mentioned that when he'd told some of his co-workers that he had a MINI to do, they all groaned until he told them it was a repair, not a replace. He admitted that replacing one can be problematic.

PMOA says $800 - $400 is just for labor. GEICO says Safelite will do it for under $500 - which is my deductible, so no matter who does it I'm 100% out of pocket. And since the Safelite tech was already spooked at the idea of replacing the windshield, I'm not calling them regardless.

after.jpg.69e169cc17e3d67712f5fe4619d25f0a.jpg

before.thumb.jpg.b9c6dde2142868e7e0b0992372667f51.jpg

after.jpg.69e169cc17e3d67712f5fe4619d25f0a.jpg

before.thumb.jpg.b9c6dde2142868e7e0b0992372667f51.jpg

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

So now I'm in this class.

I caught a kicked up rock on I-95 yesterday that gave me a star burst (before.jpg) Safelite came out this afternoon to fix it. He wasn't successful (after.jpg) - now it has wings :mad: The Safelite guy mentioned that when he'd told some of his co-workers that he had a MINI to do, they all groaned until he told them it was a repair, not a replace. He admitted that replacing one can be problematic.

PMOA says $800 - $400 is just for labor. GEICO says Safelite will do it for under $500 - which is my deductible, so no matter who does it I'm 100% out of pocket. And since the Safelite tech was already spooked at the idea of replacing the windshield, I'm not calling them regardless.

What I did was call AAA, I also told them I wanted an OEM windshield. I didn't actually take the OEM windshield but this got me to the manager. AAA is actually really good and when I explained that I had a MINI and I wanted it done right he told me he understood and he sent me his best guy. The job was done perfectly in my driveway for about $300. They also have a policy that if you break it again in the year that they will replace it for $80.

Safelite says that they have that amazing warranty, but when you read the fine print it's a warranty on their work. They don't warranty that the glass won't break.

Tggrrr010.jpg

What I did was call AAA, I also told them I wanted an OEM windshield. I didn't actually take the OEM windshield but this got me to the manager. AAA is actually really good and when I explained that I had a MINI and I wanted it done right he told me he understood and he sent me his best guy. The job was done perfectly in my driveway for about $300. They also have a policy that if you break it again in the year that they will replace it for $80.

Safelite says that they have that amazing warranty, but when you read the fine print it's a warranty on their work. They don't warranty that the glass won't break.

That is only IF you have AAA. They quoted me more than $500 for BLURs last windshield. I went with Safelite OEM for just under $500.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Ugh!

With almost 28,000 miles Ernie front windshield has had little nicks and sandblasting but this morning on the Toll Rd he deflected a pebble and got a small one-eyed MINIon smiley face. :mad:

So after reading through this thread I am not too inspired. I have used Safelite in the past (Volvo and Jeep replacements) and we do have AAA. Hmmm.

Celia, who does MoCo use or recommend?

Like Ali, I would like OEM but I have to see the price difference and if our insurance (GEICO) will replace with OEM. Glass replacement has only been $50 with GEICO in the past. So I have to call this in. Oh joy.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

I suggest trying AAA but insisting on OEM glass. You may have to pay a little extra for that but IMO it's worth it.

Also, I believe AAA offers the chemical treatment "Crystal Fusion" as an added option with all new windshield installs. This treatment should cost less than $100 extra from AAA, and it both hardens your windshield against future chips & cracks (by filling in the microscopic pits that naturally occur in glass, to strengthen it), and it also serves as a more permanent "Rain-X" treatment - rain just slides right off, you barely even need to use your wipers!

It's a wonderful treatment. Many dealerships offer this treatment as an added option at a ridiculous price (~$500-600) but if AAA will do it for less than $100, it's worth it IMO. I believe they will ONLY do it with new windshields though, not existing. Definitely worth asking.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I know this is an old thread. I work in a body shop (as some know). We refused to use Safelite. Last vehicle that had a Safelite windshield repair came back three times for warranty work because it was leaking bad. Third time, we used someone else. And last customer who had a Safelite claim told us he was waiting over 6 weeks to hear from him for his Toyota Sienna. We got him a windshield within a day from That Glass Place. Insurance does also cover windshields btw. We also use Maximus Windshields. Both vendors are quick and awesome.

I have not had any issues with Safelite in the past with 3 windows replaced on 2 of our other cars over the past ~10 years... BUT... after reading the thread here and North American Motoring I decided to double down (really, double the price).

I don't doubt that Tigger's glass is fine. I just hate, truly HATE having to get something done over when it should have been done correctly the first time. I called the AAA (Rockville) and Safelite (Bethesda) locations where I would be having the work done and they both hesitated when I said it is a MINI. After talking with them I didn't get a feeling of confidence. There are enough stories out there about them using too much adhesive and the A pillar covers popping off on the highway after a windshield replacement.

I spoke with Kristen, my great MoCo service advisor, and she has a spot for Ernie first thing in the morning. With a loaner... oh no... not a loaner again. :frown:

So, GEICO will cover about 1/2 of the cost but I will know that a MINI person worked on Ernie and if they need any other parts that they are right there.

Does this mean that I am following Mr. OEM's advice... hmmm.

Hey - it was me that gave you the advice, not my MINI! :tongue:

I'm curious though - did you talk to AAA at all? If so, did you ask about the Crystal Fusion treatment?

Unfortunately, when the body shop replaced my windshield after the accident, they didn't arrange to get it treated again, which I know means this windshield won't last as long. I already miss the treatment whenever it rains, too.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

I did talk with AAA but we didn't get to the Crystal Fusion discussion since they didn't appear to be so happy with the idea of a MINI windshield.
So their objection was simply the fact that it's a MINI? (not that you wanted OEM glass?)

So their objection was simply the fact that it's a MINI? (not that you wanted OEM glass?)

Yes, they didn't like the idea of working on a MINI windshield with the rounded sides and all the trim. They could get the OEM glass in a day or two if I wanted.

I think that they like quick glue-in windshields, with little to no trim, that are fast for them to get a few done in a day. Each place, four including MoCo, was saying that it was going to take longer than 2 hours and that I should leave the car. Safelite and AAA did have the mobile option, which I have used in the past on a Jeep and Volvo, but that it is a more involved replacement.

Yes, they didn't like the idea of working on a MINI windshield with the rounded sides and all the trim. They could get the OEM glass in a day or two if I wanted.

I think that they like quick glue-in windshields, with little to no trim, that are fast for them to get a few done in a day. Each place, four including MoCo, was saying that it was going to take longer than 2 hours and that I should leave the car. Safelite and AAA did have the mobile option, which I have used in the past on a Jeep and Volvo, but that it is a more involved replacement.

When I used AAA the guy did the replacement in the driveway. He did a great job and they sent a guy that was confident on MINIs

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have not had any issues with Safelite in the past with 3 windows replaced on 2 of our other cars over the past ~10 years... BUT... after reading the thread here and North American Motoring I decided to double down (really, double the price).

I don't doubt that Tigger's glass is fine. I just hate, truly HATE having to get something done over when it should have been done correctly the first time. I called the AAA (Rockville) and Safelite (Bethesda) locations where I would be having the work done and they both hesitated when I said it is a MINI. After talking with them I didn't get a feeling of confidence. There are enough stories out there about them using too much adhesive and the A pillar covers popping off on the highway after a windshield replacement.

I spoke with Kristen, my great MoCo service advisor, and she has a spot for Ernie first thing in the morning. With a loaner... oh no... not a loaner again. :frown:

So, GEICO will cover about 1/2 of the cost but I will know that a MINI person worked on Ernie and if they need any other parts that they are right there.

Curious. What did MOCO quote you? And you said Geico is covering part of it? I guess we have different policies as they told me they would only cover a windshield replacement up to a specific price, but as that price was within my deductible I was free to use anybody I wanted as it would all be out of pocket.

I ended up using AAA. No leaks that I'm aware of, but the windshield was as pitted after a couple of months as it was after a couple of years. The glass doesn't seem to be very durable.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13