Cricket's windshield got hit with a rock today and needs to be replaced. I called MoS and was quoted $1100 (I don't have rain sensors). Safelite's quote was $361.

I read the threads on NAM about the issues with Safelite's installs. Has anyone used them and what did you do to ensure it was done correctly? Are there any other shops you would recommend?

This is not covered by my insurance, so this will be out of pocket, so obviously I'd rather not spend $1100 at the dealer.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Insurance doesn't cover windshields? Seriously? :frown:

I've used Safelite (aka Diamond, in Chantilly) in my other vehicles - my Honda Element probably got a new windshield every month for 4-5 months one year. Was about $220 per, and I only reported the first one to insurance.

I never had problems when mine were installed. I watched them work (did it @work in the parking lot), no complaints.

So a new windshield is over $1K at the dealer? Do they use some exotic materials? :stupid:

Insurance doesn't cover windshields? Seriously? :frown:

We can't get windshield replacement coverage because we live in DC. I knew MINI windshield's were prone to damage so we asked about it when we bought the car. We could probably submit a claim under our comprehensive policy, but I'd rather not do that.

So a new windshield is over $1K at the dealer? Do they use some exotic materials? :stupid:

MINI windshields are unlike most other cars, because of their shape. A LOT of the cars we see do not have OEM MINI windshields, and or poor installations from other shops, etc. This can and has caused numerous problems with fitment and the "A" Pillars of the vehicle coming loose, or flying off altogether.

Don't get me wrong; that is a very costly repair on these vehicles.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know a good glass shop I will get a quote for you. They are in NOVA near Woodbridge.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a quote from MoA (in my hands) from last August for a new windshield and the trim (parts only, no labor)...

51 31 2 753 978 . Windshield . $333.15

51 31 7 155 304 ...... Cover ...... 41.13

BTW, these prices did not reflect any club discount.

I believe the parts guy said they used Safelite for the installation, and they did the work on site at MoA by appointment. You might want to give MoA a call. Paying $700 for labor seems ridiculous. $1,100 for the entire job seems like highway robbery. Good luck!

BTW, I LOVE your new JCW suspension! Cricket looks terrific! :top:

Another option is to repair the chip. I recently had a rock him mine and the chip was a little bigger than a dime. The glass shop repaired it by injecting it with an epoxy. My insurance company paid for the repair and it was approximately $50. It was a lot cheaper that having to pay the full amount out of pocket for a replacement.

B.

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Hey, Laura... why the reservations about submitting a Comp claim :questionmark:

Over on NAM, I've heard good things and bad things about Safelite.

Whoever you decide to do it, make sure you take some extra A-Pillar cover clips for them. They won't know they brake on removal and then you'll likely lose one while flying down the highway. I also have learned there is a special seal that you can get from the dealership... get one of those also.

And that quote from the dealer... are they out of their minds ?? :stupid:

I have a quote from MoA (in my hands) from last August for a new windshield and the trim (parts only, no labor)...

51 31 2 753 978 . Windshield . $333.15

51 31 7 155 304 ...... Cover ...... 41.13

BTW, these prices did not reflect any club discount.

Thanks! I will definitely call MoA tomorrow!

Another option is to repair the chip. I recently had a rock him mine and the chip was a little bigger than a dime. The glass shop repaired it by injecting it with an epoxy. My insurance company paid for the repair and it was approximately $50. It was a lot cheaper that having to pay the full amount out of pocket for a replacement.

B.

It's a huge chip that has grown to almost 8 inches. It's beyond repair. I should post a picture.

Hey, Laura... why the reservations about submitting a Comp claim :questionmark:

We have a $1000 deductible. I know how you feel about that :wink:. I used to have a $100 deductible, but I didn't know what Dave had. He has never had a comp claim, so having to pay for this, he probably breaks even. We are going to talk to USAA about dropping the comp deductible after this.

I have an appointment with Safelite in Arlington on Thursday morning. The person I talked to on the phone said they use OEM glass, as they don't manufacture glass themselves for MINIs. The quote they gave me over the phone was $535, but she said to call the shop and they will likely match the online quote. I will also be able to watch the install. I can always cancel the appointment if I need to.

Are the A-pillar clips something the dealer will have in stock? I can run to MoS tomorrow afternoon.

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions!! :biggrin:

Whoever you decide to do it, make sure you take some extra A-Pillar cover clips for them. They won't know they brake on removal and then you'll likely lose one while flying down the highway. I also have learned there is a special seal that you can get from the dealership... get one of those also.

Yep, I had first hand experience on the first windshield replacement. I went to MoT on the second replacement. :tongue: (my insurance covered that)

We have a $1000 deductible. I know how you feel about that :wink:. I used to have a $100 deductible, but I didn't know what Dave had. He has never had a comp claim, so having to pay for this, he probably breaks even. We are going to talk to USAA about dropping the comp deductible after this.

I have an appointment with Safelite in Arlington on Thursday morning. The person I talked to on the phone said they use OEM glass, as they don't manufacture glass themselves for MINIs. The quote they gave me over the phone was $535, but she said to call the shop and they will likely match the online quote. I will also be able to watch the install. I can always cancel the appointment if I need to.

Are the A-pillar clips something the dealer will have in stock? I can run to MoS tomorrow afternoon.

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions!! :biggrin:

You know how I feel about that (huge) comp deductible... Funny... you've been reading my posts on NAM. :top:

Before you have them get you some OEM glass, do some reading over on NAM. Most people who went with the PPG glass are much happier... it's not as soft as the OEM stuff and doesn't pit as easily.

And yeah, those A-Pillar clips should be in stock in plentiful supply at the dealership.

Good luck, Laura.

Safelite has their own version of the glass and they do use others (SGC -Safelite Glass Corp. or Pilkington). I have had a few from them due to them having to redo the installation.

I had many problems with thier installation and have had to take my car back there 7 times. (Long Story) I would seriously avoid taking it to the Alexandria location because thats where my problems started.

The arlington one is nice and they did my rework but I would make sure that the have the side pillar pieces in stock and your windsield is aligned correctly. Since mine isn't correctly aligned I get a noise from the plastic pillar cover and have lost the pillar covers going down the highway.

I have heard that many people have had succcess using some of the other smaller shops.

Another thing to consider - if you end up deciding to get the OEM glass anyway, is to also get the Diamon-Fusion treatment. I had my windshield done 2 years ago at the same time it was replaced, and my windshield has lasted through multiple rock impacts since.

True, it isn't cheap (adds an additional $500-$600), but it comes with a 4 year warranty (including the cost of replacing the windshield) and has an added side-bonus - it acts like a permanent Rain-X... water just beads off! :top:

I realize that part of this discussion is to save money, but if you end up having to replace your windshield again several times over the next 4 years (after all, MINIs are especially prone to windshield damage due to the angle of our windshields), then how much money have you really saved?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I've been sufficiently scared off from using Safelite, so I cancelled my appointment. I got a quote of $545 from Funktion Auto, so Cricket is going there on Monday. I called MoA, but they never called me back.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

If you have yet to get it fixed, I used Safelite to replace my windshield earlier this year. They were going to use PPG glass instead of factory, but it have read it has a slightly different tint. Their installation is fine, but demand the factory glass from the dealer. I believe they qouted me around 600 to install the factory windshield that was shipped from Mini of Towson. Palo Uber sells a film to protect the windshield of your worried about replacing it again.

A rock decided to fly into my windshield today. :hmpf:

Looks like I'm going to have to get it replaced as well.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm on my 3rd windshield now.

If you insurance cover the windshield, check with Rose @ MINI of Towson.

Safelite replaced my windshield today. Before the guy started working, I made sure he knew what he was doing. Said he's done 17 Minis before, and knew exactly where the pillar clips were..

But he still broke them on one side, while I wasn't looking.

Geez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Safelite replaced my windshield today. Before the guy started working, I made sure he knew what he was doing. Said he's done 17 Minis before, and knew exactly where the pillar clips were..

But he still broke them on one side, while I wasn't looking.

Geez

:tongue:

I saw the guy replacing the windshield of your MINI today. Hope he replaced the pillar for you, at no charge.

:tongue:

I saw the guy replacing the windshield of your MINI today. Hope he replaced the pillar for you, at no charge.

He ordered one on the spot at no charge.

He also actually snapped the clips while I was talking to you haha.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't believe this happened, but another rock hit my windshield today. I was on Rt 50, almost in the same place as it happened before. :banghead: The new windshield isn't even two weeks old!!

At least I have the name of the guy who did it the last time, so it should be a lot less expensive.

Where were you on Rt 50? On the West side of DC, there are several rock quarries (and several dump trucks). VERY easy to get rocks tossed at you.

Hmmm. I wonder what it would take to enact a law requiring all vehicles that drive off-road or on non-paved roads, to stop and spot-check their tires for embedded rocks?

That alone wouldn't help much, but if fines were levied - say, $100-$250 per incident, that might help a bit ;)