Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

Over the past couple weeks, B.A. began smelling really gassy. At least I thought it was him, and after sniffing under the hood and underneath and around the garage and the lawnmower, wasn't really sure until... a few days ago, I had him running in the garage (door open of course) while I was data logging on my OBDII device. My mom says it seriously smells like gas all over the house!  That's when I found a puddle of gas under the right side rear (under the gas tank!).

So, of course, I started researching, and I removed the rear seat and access cover to the fuel filter to discover that there definitely was a gas leak. I did a bit more research and diagnosis and finally found the cause and solution.

The sad thing is that until I got this fixed, B.A. was banished from the garage and had to survive the brutal cold and elements out in the driveway!!!  😢

Anyway, What I found was that the o-rings for the gas line connection were gone. I was able to purchase some new ones though and install them. No more leak, problem solved! B.A. is welcome in the garage again!  Also, seems to be running much better too since lack of fuel pressure can have terrible effects on an engine!

Officially, MINI doesn't sell these and the only option is to replace the entire fuel filter housing, which includes the sending unit and regulator and since it sits in the tank, is a real messy pain in the a** to replace. AND it costs north of $200. I purchased a few cheap tools and new o-rings for slightly less than 10 dollars and was able to replace them without even removing the housing from the tank.  Owning a "classic first gen" is becoming quite an adventure!

• Like 3

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

used the extra day off, thank you snow day, to rebuild the carburetor on the classic Mini. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to get it tuned up and running. I am thinking of taking it down to the dragon this year, but need to get some good shake down miles first.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

I think I failed to mention that a few months ago, I finally got a new windshield!  Oh what a relief!  I can see where I am going again!

• Like 1

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Picked up my car from Chantilly Auto Body yesterday for replacement rear bumper cover and damaged internals from a low speed rear ending....looks very nice! They were recommended by Galen at GTPeace. At this point, I concur.....

• Like 2

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:54 PM, Russianrat said:

speaking of smudges....what can I clean the display with?  and what about cleaning the HUD?

I used screen cleaner... I think it was marketed as computer screen, but I believe all the hand held screen device stuff is roughly the same.

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black

On 1/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Russianrat said:

yes!  please let us know how it works?

Verdict: success and recommended.  Definitely doesn't show any smudges or fingerprints. If you've used these types of "paper feel" add-ons then you know it feels slightly different to touch and swipe. Adaptation takes about 0.87 seconds.  

I did notice some muted glare after a day or two. I couldn't remember if the un-covered screen had glare like that, or if I was just being hyper-sensitive because of the change. Well, it was the latter. I took the screen protector off and it was crazy how much more I noticed the glare on the uncovered screen. Back on with the matte screen!

• Like 2

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black

Not today, but I have replaced Sluggo's wheels (bought them outfitted with snow tires), PlastiDipped the headlight and taillight surrounds, and replaced the tail lights with Union Jack tail lights.

Next step is either Eibach lowering springs or coil overs for appearance.  Performance I want to get a Quaiffe LSD and replace the clutch at the same time.

Then add a Evolve tune once I can effectively transfer the power to the pavement.

• Like 3

Hi, Happy Super Bowl Sunday 22!! I changed the wiper blades on my 03 mini! I have a question for the group, I cannot seem to keep my wiper washer dispensers on top of my hood aligned to spray where they should? I have used a very thin metal instrument to guide them back to where they need to be and that last for about 24 hours . And we all.know how hard it is to keep our mini windshields clean!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  And I think I am supposed to have a washer fluid sprayer for my back windshield ? I can hear a light sound of a motor when I turn on the rear wiper but have never seen any fluid dispenser? I have look at my original manual many times but found nothing? I also would welcome any suggestions to a location in Northern VA.or Maryland of someone to get a oil change and not have to take out a second mortgage? HAHA!! Thanks and have a great day!! ✌💖🍄🎼

In an effort to be kind to the Littles, STXMINI got some new accessories today. The Big Dog put some OEM mud flaps on for me today (Front & rear). We're hoping this helps with the rock spray issue we're told happens when you follow us during runs.

Hard being the tallest girl in the class...

Rear mud flaps.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STXMINI said:

Hard being the tallest girl in the class...

Front mud flaps.JPG

Someone already has the Persuader (big hammer) at the ready. Now that's someone the has dealt with "bolt on" accessories before. 

1 hour ago, Chris_V said:

JCW066.jpg

Looks good, I have heard the deflectors make a big difference

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels