Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

On 6/19/2019 at 4:39 PM, Coopah said:

Next mod...CravenSpeed red shift ball.  Simple install - 20 minutes max.  I like it.

Knob1.jpg

Knob2.jpg

That's a great improvement over the stock auto "shifter."  Thanks for posting this, as I've been wondering if the install was as easy as the description made it seem.   

When I saw this on Cravenspeed's email a little while back I didn't quite understand how it's getting around the usual button press needed to move the selector. Do you just lift/push up the knob and move it to the selection you want? 

• Like 1

2021 F54 JCW - Midnight Black

2 hours ago, BendersMINI said:

Do you just lift/push up the knob and move it to the selection you want? 

Yes, just slightly pull up to move into and out of park.  It is spring-loaded.  Check out the video at the end of the instructions on the Cravenspeed site.  Very easy to install and the knob sits at a perfect height if you like to rest your hand on it while driving.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coopah said:

Thanks guys.  It was a lot easier than I thought.  Today I'm going to attempt the hood stripes.

Where did you order the stripes from? They look great!

I'm planning on wrapping my chrome, too. I have the 3M 1080 in Satin Black. I keep saying "I'll do it this weekend" and then I don't. :)

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

2 hours ago, GreenCactus said:

Where did you order the stripes from? They look great!

I'm planning on wrapping my chrome, too. I have the 3M 1080 in Satin Black. I keep saying "I'll do it this weekend" and then I don't. :)

Thanks!  I got the vinyl and stripes from 1060graphics.  3M 1080 is good stuff.  Easy to use and reapply if you mess up.  I just finished my bonnet stripes (see pics).  99% happy.  Minor wrinkle in one of them that I just could't get out.  I'll be ordering more vinyl to wrap my headlight trim soon.  I think I am done...for now.  And yes, that's a crack in the scoop ☹️.  I pried up at the wrong place.  I'll replace it at some point.

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

Edited by Coopah
  • Like 1

I've been doing minor maintenance and repair of the trim on my old 2009 Hatchback.

1.  Purchased a new stubby antenna because the rubber on the original tall stack completely decomposed.  4 inch stub antenna looks good and I wish I had done it earlier.

2.  The chrome grill strip (upper) came off during a recent trip up to Philly.  I ordered a new one from PartsGeek and it arrived today broken in two pieces.  I am not impressed with the customer service at that place and I may be out $80 bucks for a piece of plastic.  If the claim isn't honored I am going to go to the dealer part shop and use my 10% parts discount.

3.  Finally removed the electrical tape I had applied to the chrome strip around the window base.  Cheapest mod ever and it lasted for years.  I am going to leave it chrome for awhile since the original look is now new to me.

4.  Has anyone had any experience with the cheap mirror covers that you can buy off of ebay?  They sit on top of the existing mirror cap using 3M adhesive tape.  I know it's a cheap way to do it but it's not worth it to me to get the actual replacement caps.

5.  Next on the to-do list is to peel off the racing stripes on the bonnet (way past time).  

31 minutes ago, ChrisTKD said:

4.  Has anyone had any experience with the cheap mirror covers that you can buy off of ebay?  They sit on top of the existing mirror cap using 3M adhesive tape.  I know it's a cheap way to do it but it's not worth it to me to get the actual replacement caps.

5.  Next on the to-do list is to peel off the racing stripes on the bonnet (way past time).  

Are you looking for a design on the or just replacements, they are easy to paint(base, clear, and sandpaper comes to like $20) or there are plenty in the junkyards. 

As for peeling the old, if they a dry rotted it just going to suck no way around it. Hopefully to can get a hot day to soften the glue, but just a lot of picking. I have seen rubber sticker remover wheel you can buy for a drill, but I have not personally tried one yet. 

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

1 hour ago, ChrisTKD said:

I tried these with Tigger and they damaged the actual mirror cap underneath it. The road dirt and grime gets in there and causes issues. Corey found cheap replacement caps at a junk yard for Tigger, it's a cheap options to consider

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

43 minutes ago, 1975_mini said:

Are you looking for a design on the or just replacements, they are easy to paint(base, clear, and sandpaper comes to like $20) or there are plenty in the junkyards. 

As for peeling the old, if they a dry rotted it just going to suck no way around it. Hopefully to can get a hot day to soften the glue, but just a lot of picking. I have seen rubber sticker remover wheel you can buy for a drill, but I have not personally tried one yet. 

The existing mirror caps are black and in decent shape.  I was just bored with them.  It sounds like I should consider something other than covering with the cheap Chinese-made stick on caps.  Basically looking for a design.

Peeling the old - I'm not looking forward to it.

Too much to list, perhaps later on I'll just for a build thread, but Wolfgang is up for a face lift soon, and I can't wait.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, ChrisTKD said:

I have a set if you're interested. Not going to use them, and they are brand new. 

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr