Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

My first teeny mod - replaced the "Warning" stickers on the sun visors with something fun! Now I get to wait and see which of my friends is the first to notice them.
The one on the right is awesome! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Slick. You make them yourself? If so, how?

They are by the company Artistic Reflection (they make grill badges too) and you can find them on amazon and ebay. They have different sizes in case you have the long skinny kind instead of the more square kind.

2011 Spice Orange Cabrio - embracing the chrome!

Happy Holidays! Installed a badge bar and some seasonal badges. Since I would have had to remove and drill the grill to put them on the front, I got a badge bar instead and put it on the back. The little screws that hold the license plate thingy onto the car ended up being a little short once I added the washers and bar so I had to dig around and find some similar longer ones in my toolbox. Not OEM screws - but at least the whole thing isn't going to fall off.

MINIBadges1.jpg.c7c34fab10531355133de4de98b6321b.jpg

MINIBadges1.jpg.c7c34fab10531355133de4de98b6321b.jpg

My CR-V was getting jealous of all the attention that my MINI was getting so I had to give him some new plates! He is benefiting from the MINI being around since ALL the cleaning products get tested on him first before I use them on the MINI - so he's cleaner than he has been in years.

MINI-NV.jpg.3726d7ebc275c86c96e2cd336376c42c.jpg

MINI-NV.jpg.3726d7ebc275c86c96e2cd336376c42c.jpg

My CR-V was getting jealous of all the attention that my MINI was getting so I had to give him some new plates! He is benefiting from the MINI being around since ALL the cleaning products get tested on him first before I use them on the MINI - so he's cleaner than he has been in years.

Love it!!!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

So I ordered brandy a 23mm adjustable rear sway bar a while back and did not get a chance to install it. So since I am home alone I decided today was the day.

I decided to do it in the driveway since the weather was nice and I have all the tools or so I thought. I pull out my floor jack and jack stands to get the rear end in the air. This is when I found out the countryman does not have to rubber jack point but instead the crappy reinforced pinch weld points. Guest I need to order an adapter block for my jack. No sweet I can find some solid point to get it in the air and on stands. I a climb under to decide where to use, this is an advantage of the countryman, not sliding under a clubman or hardtop when it's on the ground.

So I glance at the subframe bolts I will need to undo it get the sway bar in and out. What is staring back at me but an echo head bolt, when the hell did that change. Damn you MINI. For those of you unfamiliar with an echo bolt think torx but reversed ( I included a picture). I definitely don't own those sockets, but they are on my birthday/Xmas list now.

Luckily I live on base so it is off the the the auto hobby shop to see how the other half live. There were lifts, air tools, and heated garage space!! I now understand how first class must feel. So I rent a lift, with snapon toolbox full of goodies. 6 hours an hour. The mechanic there to help, told me several time why don't you raise to lift higher as they found me sitting on the floor with my head in a wheel well. I told them it was how I am used to working, they gave up on me at that point, and I tooled away.

Air tools definitely make life easier. I had to do the sway bar links by hand, and I have no idea why the Allen key you need to hold the bolt is standard when everything else is metric. The air racket made short work of the shock. Had to do the sway bar links by hand do to clearance, the front even had to be done by box wrench that took some time. Then it was time for the subframe bolts

They took some planning to get an angle on them, but not to bad. As brandy has an all4 there is a bit more to work around back there. Also people people said you didn't need to support the subframe as the diff has rear mounts. I placed a trans jack under and it allowed better control as I work the sway bar out.

I was able to remove the old 17mm bar with little effort. I include a picture of the old and new I replaced the OEM with a 23 mm with 3 adjustments. Only a little pleading and one POS and the new one was in. I set it to the middle setting for now.

Everything went back together in reverse with easy. The only causality was my thumb nail, I was not paying attention and pinched my thumb retween the control arm and the air rachet. I included a picture of the result going to be loading the nail in about a week. The project took about 2:30 hours, and that was with me taking my time.

I texted brandy to tell her it was done, and told her about the thumb incident. She ask how did it feel. I said it hurt but not bad. She responded with, I meant how does the new sway bar feel in the MINI. We see where her priorities lie.

IMG_1023.thumb.jpg.f8e2dc09f3dda5a3f31542580c576daf.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg.7c721f3cc11aa9c80fc7b5f8a0b32c97.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg.346893b42b0161d9a8b6cc5c792a816e.jpg

IMG_1024.thumb.PNG.b80b04a6cd95fb503d753d008b87741b.PNG

IMG_1023.thumb.jpg.f8e2dc09f3dda5a3f31542580c576daf.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg.7c721f3cc11aa9c80fc7b5f8a0b32c97.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg.346893b42b0161d9a8b6cc5c792a816e.jpg

IMG_1024.thumb.PNG.b80b04a6cd95fb503d753d008b87741b.PNG

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Just curious 1975_mini, is the 23 mm sway bar you used from Madness Motorworks? I saw the red sway bar and assumed as much.

I also just replaced my stock rear sway bar with the Madness Motorworks 23 mm RSB and set it to the middle. My initial impression is that the whole rear end feels so much tighter and stiff. Still feeling out how the car handles in the twisties, but so far everything is WOW!

Next on my list is the JCW front strut brace for the whole package, can't wait!

:rock:

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

I have the JCW front strut brace and to be perfectly honest, it was not worth the money. It looks nice and I don't regret getting it, but I did not notice any difference at all after I put it on.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Oh yeah GreenCactus, I know it won't be a dramatic increase in handling, but it sure does go a long way in BLINGING out the engine bay, plus it easily adds like 20 HP just because it has the JCW logo on it! :tongue:

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

I went with VIP for the sway bar.

Just curious 1975_mini, is the 23 mm sway bar you used from Madness Motorworks? I saw the red sway bar and assumed as much.

I also just replaced my stock rear sway bar with the Madness Motorworks 23 mm RSB and set it to the middle. My initial impression is that the whole rear end feels so much tighter and stiff. Still feeling out how the car handles in the twisties, but so far everything is WOW!

1975Mini001.jpg

After the thousands spent getting the cylinder head rebuilt, my budget was in search of a free mod - I did the R56 channel swap to improve the sound quality of the stock radio/speakers. Amazing improvement and only cost 15 minutes of my time!

2007 Cooper S - Chili Red - White Roof

OK, so it was Saturday that I did something to my MINI.....rear bumper cover...

picture.php?albumid=175&pictureid=883

picture.php?albumid=175&pictureid=882

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

alright it's been a couple of weeks since i installed these but just added a pair of driving lights. Definitely needed them since i don't have projector headlamps. :rock:

MiniFogs.jpg.baeb0b987918c24cfd4b05c45af2f6a9.jpg

MiniFogs.jpg.baeb0b987918c24cfd4b05c45af2f6a9.jpg

2k10 Mini Cooper S (R56) 6sp, Coilover suspension, K&N Intake, Alta hotside, Stoptech Rotors, 17" white wheels w/ Conti DW, and resonator delete, S42 turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, tuned 250whp.

2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.

2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius radio (Totalled)

2k14 Audi R8 5.2 Suzuka Grey, Larini Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius, K&N Filters w/ silicoln sleeve and tuned.

Thanks to LtDan and his DIY day, I got my KW V3 coilovers and hotchkis rear lower control arms in. Sitting right at 2" lower. Pic is bad, but I don't really care until I get my new wheels on. Drives so much better now. Weird thing is that the drive train feels tighter, now... less laggy. Not sure why. Maybe the taller suspension introduces some squat induced slack feeling?

20170228_155908.jpg

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Thanks to LtDan and his DIY day, I got my KW V3 coilovers and hotchkis rear lower control arms in. Sitting right at 2" lower. Pic is bad, but I don't really care until I get my new wheels on. Drives so much better now. Weird thing is that the drive train feels tighter, now... less laggy. Not sure why. Maybe the taller suspension introduces some squat induced slack feeling?

Looks nice!

The stance looks great, I was definitely interested in see how it would look after you mentioned it at the M&G. One question did you change outthe sway bar links to shorter or adjustment one? If not does the sway bar seem to be preloaded?

Thanks for sharing and look forward to what else you do.

1975Mini001.jpg

The stance looks great, I was definitely interested in see how it would look after you mentioned it at the M&G. One question did you change outthe sway bar links to shorter or adjustment one? If not does the sway bar seem to be preloaded?

Thanks for sharing and look forward to what else you do.

I didn't but I did remember to check. Clearance on the rears was fine. The fronts connect directly to a tab on the shock body, and KW puts the mount higher to compensate.

As for preload... (Warning, technical mumbo jumbo)

As I understand it, I don't think sway bar preload is what people think it is. ...and someone can correct me if I've misunderstood.

So, preload (on anything) is the practice of putting tension, or "weight" into a spring while at rest. This can be positive or negative "weight." In the case of a sway bar, the "spring" is the torsional difference between one end and the other due to twisting. This happens when the ends twist in opposite directions, such as when one wheel goes over a bump, but not the other one.

With that logic, the only way I see to get preload on a sway bar is by creating a twist in the sway bar when sitting on level ground. You can achieve that with end links of different lengths. I'm not really sure why one would want to do this, maybe to compensate for driver weight if you don't have adjustable strut height? Anyway, if both sides are adjusted to the same height, I don't see how you can have preload.

With that out of the way, what I suspect most people are talking about is the stiffer feeling of the ride when the sway bar is orientated at an angle other than perpendicular to the path of the axle. this would happen when the ride height is raised or lowered. For a sway bar to perform most efficiently, it should be orientated perpendicularly to the travel of the axle/control arm. --I feel I should note that this can be achieved through crafty design that doesn't appear to be perpendicular. It has to do with force vectoring, which I won't attempt to explain because I failed that class in college.-- In this case, some of the force of a bump is transmitted longitudinally into the arm of the sway bar because the angle of the vector of the force is now something other that 90 degrees.

This isn't really ideal because now a portion of the force of a bump is being transmitted through the sway bar and into the chassis. At minimum, this could be noticed as a bumpier, harsher, or stiffer feeling. If a bit more off-90, I could see this upsetting the stability dynamics, say, when cornering and hitting a bump. Depending on the severity, I could imagine bushings wearing out faster or, if it's on the really ridiculous side, actually causing damage to the sway bar mount area. These effects would occur whether both wheels encountered the bump at the same time, or if only one side did.

Soooooo, that's a really long and technical way of explaining that, no, I haven't noticed any issues with sway bar "preload." :biggrin:

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Changed the coding on "Lilli" so she would fold mirrors when locking car by key or button on door. Also, if I hold down unlock button, all windows and sunroof open. They close if I hold down button too!

Changed the coding on "Lilli" so she would fold mirrors when locking car by key or button on door. Also, if I hold down unlock button, all windows and sunroof open. They close if I hold down button too!

Hey Mark!

I'm interested in getting that exact same thing done on my F56. Care to share any digits or lead me to where/how to get this done? TIA! :rock:

2015 Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S F56

6MT, Premium, Cold Weather, Media, LED, HUD

NM Engineering Power module

Borla Touring axle back exhaust

JCW style bonnet stripes