Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

Scavenger: Thanks for taking the time and effort in writing this all out! I think I'll have to give this some more thought - it may exceed my DIY comfort level. :frown:

I would really like to have a voltmeter and an oil pressure gauge - I need to check around to see what's available.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Spent the hours before the "big game" replacing the hard brake lines running to the rear of the car- It was a joy trying to get the bends just right up and over the exhaust, and then around the fuel tank....

The old one broke apart so you couldn't just mirror it, right?

I saw your photo of the process on LXM. I was jealous of your tube bending tool. When I have to replace one of the hard lines in Watson (due to my own stupidity mixing with British engineering) I was using a 3/4 and 1/2 socket to make my bends.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

So the seemingly never-ending process of fixing the brakes on my R53 continues.

After securing the new line and making sure my fittings wouldn't leak, I went to go bleed the system. Right rear caliper bleed screw snapped clean off!!! Okay, I guess I'll just replace the rear calipers(they are OLD, and covered in rust anyways).

For 2003 model year MINI's, there is a production split on the calipers at April of 2003. Lucky me, my production date? April 2003.. I tell auto parts guy this, and he says no problem, orders everything up. Go to slap the new calipers on yesterday, and find the brake line is different. Sigh.. Call the parts guy today, and he can get me one caliper tomorrow, but the other one is about a week out.

I WILL FIX THESE F*&&$%NG BRAKES DAMMIT!!!!

So the seemingly never-ending process of fixing the brakes on my R53 continues.

After securing the new line and making sure my fittings wouldn't leak, I went to go bleed the system. Right rear caliper bleed screw snapped clean off!!! Okay, I guess I'll just replace the rear calipers(they are OLD, and covered in rust anyways).

For 2003 model year MINI's, there is a production split on the calipers at April of 2003. Lucky me, my production date? April 2003.. I tell auto parts guy this, and he says no problem, orders everything up. Go to slap the new calipers on yesterday, and find the brake line is different. Sigh.. Call the parts guy today, and he can get me one caliper tomorrow, but the other one is about a week out.

:banghead: :banghead: :hmpf: :argh:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I feel your pain Dan, I spent several months before I left attempting to fix a spongy break pedal on Watson. Things I learned during my adventure.

1) just because a third party brake hose fits an OEM wheel cylinder, and a third party wheel cylinder fits the OEM brake hose, the transitive property does not apply and the two third party parts will not fit.

2) British engineering is designed to sabotage your efforts (i.e. if you do not know to loosen the brass brake line on the other side of the subframe before undoing the brake hose the line with twist and snap.

3) the master cylinder goes against gravity (the fluid goes out the top) making it near impossible to gravity bleed. Also one of each of the twin wheel cylinders has the bleed screw at the bottom meaning air gets trapped at the top.

4) drums brakes require manual adjusting with the difference between wheels locked and pedal on the floor being a 1/16 of a turn on any of the 6 adjusting screw.

Watson won the battle, before I left I disconnected the line running to the front brakes and installed a breeder screw at the "T". Bled the rear brakes so he had some brakes and rolled him to the back corner of the garage.

I am search the junkyards here to pick a disc system, or if I have no luck just ordering a replacement front disc kit. I want to upgrade of the front drums anyway. I will also likely replace the single line master cylinder with a dual line system. This started when I had a brake line fail, that was not fun on a single line system.

I have accepted that most projects on the classic follow the 5 stages of grief:

Denial - This will be easy. I will find the issue, replace, and bleed the system. I will be done in an hour.

Anger - This is suppose to fit, what moron designed this. Now I have to wait a week for the right part.

Bargaining - Come please let this blind bolt thread, just give me a solid pedal one time.

Depression - I am never going to get this right, I should just cut my losses.

Acceptance - I just need to replace the whole system.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

late post: replaced the factory bonnet stripes with JCW style stripes and had the A-panels wrapped in CF vinyl. :top:

2015 Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S F56

6MT, Premium, Cold Weather, Media, LED, HUD

NM Engineering Power module

Borla Touring axle back exhaust

JCW style bonnet stripes

late post: replaced the factory bonnet stripes with JCW style stripes and had the A-panels wrapped in CF vinyl. :top:

Can we see pictures?

I saw the A-Panels when I was out walking the dogs and I got all excited at how nice it looked. I didn't even notice the stripes

Tggrrr010.jpg

I like them, she looks badass

Thanks Ali! And you know it adds 25bhp!! :tongue: :hahaha: :rofl:

JCW style bonnet stripes

I installed the NM Engineering Module on Roxie over the weekend. Took about 15 minutes of fumbling through the single page front and back instructions but I did it! Oh, and i lost a 10mm socket in the process -- yup, dropped it in the engine bay and it never hit the ground. :biggrin:

Anyway, I have it on the low setting for now but I do notice power gains already (based on my butt dyno). Since Roxie is my daily driver, I want to keep it conservative for now, maybe a few hundred miles, before i switch it to High. :motor:

http://www.nm-eng.com/nm648846-nm-eng-power-module.html

real dyno runs seem to agree with my butt dyno! :)http://www.motoringfun.com/2015/11/10/nm-eng-power-module/

Edited by DIREK

JCW style bonnet stripes

I easily changed to the pair of clear parking light lenses I found for $60 (on sale from $110 ?!) and amber bulbs for $6 to replace the clear ones so she could stay in regulation. And so it begins :biggrin:

(pics before & after)

parking_light_after.jpg.4c63ec08a240143fd5cc8660ac475e04.jpg

parking_light_before.jpg.b2d6382b0220feea884aa85749c97b5d.jpg

parking_light_after.jpg.4c63ec08a240143fd5cc8660ac475e04.jpg

parking_light_before.jpg.b2d6382b0220feea884aa85749c97b5d.jpg

-Chris

So, last Thursday evening during the torrential downpour, I come out of the gym, get in Phineus, and he notifies me that his rear passenger tire is low. Just great. He has run flats and knew he could wait until morning after it dried up. Friday morning I go to put air in and, upon doing so, I discover a screw lodged in his rear driver tire, however, he never complained of it being low. I called MOS and was told I could come in immediately, so off I go from Manassas. We land safely and I report the two issues to the service advisor. I also note that he has tire/rim insurance that I purchased when I got him and used once for rim rash and once for a front tire that got a screw in it. MOS looks him over and finds a screw also lodged in his rear passenger tire. No idea how it happened, but I'm really glad I purchased the insurance. The two tires would have cost about $650 for me to replace, according to the work order, but instead cost me nothing every time I've had to use it. So, out of four tires, three of them are new within the past year or so of the three years I've had him.

image.php?u=179&type=sigpic&dateline=140

So, last Thursday evening during the torrential downpour, I come out of the gym, get in Phineus, and he notifies me that his rear passenger tire is low. Just great. He has run flats and knew he could wait until morning after it dried up. Friday morning I go to put air in and, upon doing so, I discover a screw lodged in his rear driver tire, however, he never complained of it being low. I called MOS and was told I could come in immediately, so off I go from Manassas. We land safely and I report the two issues to the service advisor. I also note that he has tire/rim insurance that I purchased when I got him and used once for rim rash and once for a front tire that got a screw in it. MOS looks him over and finds a screw also lodged in his rear passenger tire. No idea how it happened, but I'm really glad I purchased the insurance. The two tires would have cost about $650 for me to replace, according to the work order, but instead cost me nothing every time I've had to use it. So, out of four tires, three of them are new within the past year or so of the three years I've had him.

We didn't buy that insurance, but it sounds like it was worth it for you

Tggrrr010.jpg

Today, before heading to Bushkill PA, I replaced lower motor mount, idler pulley, crank sensor O ring, a.c. compressor coil, did a oil change, balanced out the AC system. For the first time since I've owned the car (just over a year) I have AC and it's wonderful.

Just need to do the shiftwell cover and slap some more decals and she's ready for MTTS. :)

Today, before heading to Bushkill PA,
Bushkill? What a coincidence! I've been there a number of times, and will be there again soon... I wonder if it's for the same reason... it's a pretty small place, now I'm curious - it wouldn't happen to be for The Training Camp, would it? :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Bushkill? What a coincidence! I've been there a number of times, and will be there again soon... I wonder if it's for the same reason... it's a pretty small place, now I'm curious - it wouldn't happen to be for The Training Camp, would it? :biggrin:

As a matter of fact, yes i'm here for Training Camp. Here to hopefully earn my CCNA. First time here and a lot of things are really making sense as I haven't really had proper training on this networking stuff.

As a matter of fact, yes i'm here for Training Camp. Here to hopefully earn my CCNA. First time here and a lot of things are really making sense as I haven't really had proper training on this networking stuff.
Nice! I've gone there for training 4 separate times since 2001... always the same venue. They do have classes here in the DC area but I believe it's best to get away from your usual environment so you can better concentrate. I'll be back there soon for the MCSE Server 2012 2-week boot camp.

Good luck on the CCNA! Is Valerie still running things on-site?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129