Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

Did you upholster the dash? Looks nice

yea got bored with a spare dash pad

INDI Blue R53: 15% Pulley, Whiteline 20mm Rear Swaybar, Koni FSDs, Rogue Engineering Exhaust added Magnaflow Resonator, Custom Cold Air, Poly LCABs, Slotted Rotors, Gold Drag Dr-16's, Plaid Dash, Xlites with RE-11A's for Hitting Cones.

The dash looks great! ...but doesn't the passenger airbag come out of the top of the dash?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

The dash looks great! ...but doesn't the passenger airbag come out of the top of the dash?

Nope pops out of the dash trim piece

INDI Blue R53: 15% Pulley, Whiteline 20mm Rear Swaybar, Koni FSDs, Rogue Engineering Exhaust added Magnaflow Resonator, Custom Cold Air, Poly LCABs, Slotted Rotors, Gold Drag Dr-16's, Plaid Dash, Xlites with RE-11A's for Hitting Cones.

Nope pops out of the dash trim piece
Maybe they changed it for the refresh then... because I have a distinct visible cutout line in the top of the passenger side of my post-refresh R53. It does not come out of the plastic (or in my case leather) front portion of the dash in mine. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow to show you what I mean... plus a little digging on RealOEM. Not trying to beat a dead horse, I just want to find out the specifics because it's important for safety. :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Maybe they changed it for the refresh then... because I have a distinct visible cutout line in the top of the passenger side of my post-refresh R53. It does not come out of the plastic (or in my case leather) front portion of the dash in mine. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow to show you what I mean... plus a little digging on RealOEM. Not trying to beat a dead horse, I just want to find out the specifics because it's important for safety. :)

You can trust me on this one. the 5 peice dash has a panel that's held in place by straps that swings open in an accident. Id never do anything to compromise a passengers safety. On the refresh 3 piece dash i believe it breaks through the dash pad.

See this link to get a better idea:

http://www.waymotorworks.com/anthracite-pass-airbag-cover-early-r50-r53.html

You can trust me on this one. the 5 peice dash has a panel that's held in place by straps that swings open in an accident. Id never do anything to compromise a passengers safety. On the refresh 3 piece dash i believe it breaks through the dash pad.
That's probably the difference then. The 3-piece dash in the post-refresh models vs. the 5-piece dash in the pre-refresh models.

Considering the 3-piece dash extends the same piece over the vents on the sides, I smell an airbag redesign as part of the overall refresh.

Happy to learn something new. :)

That's probably the difference then. The 3-piece dash in the post-refresh models vs. the 5-piece dash in the pre-refresh models.

Considering the 3-piece dash extends the same piece over the vents on the sides, I smell an airbag redesign as part of the overall refresh.

Happy to learn something new. :)

In my opinion the refresh dash looks better

Well, I've had the Cooper S gauges installed under my toggles for a long time now, and my big complaints were always 1. Too hard to see when driving, 2. Lost storage space

This weekend, I combined the gauges with some Craven mounts and relocated them to the steering column to solve both complaints! Here's some pictures. I think it looks great!

003_volts.jpg.11bb2995fe35ae7212d5928cb5073dd0.jpg

002_boost.jpg.ece0b16b26c12d94a0ded1d3a03f975f.jpg

001_empty_cubby.jpg.5d4684c8b760fadc3f2916f043012e04.jpg

003_volts.jpg.11bb2995fe35ae7212d5928cb5073dd0.jpg

002_boost.jpg.ece0b16b26c12d94a0ded1d3a03f975f.jpg

001_empty_cubby.jpg.5d4684c8b760fadc3f2916f043012e04.jpg

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Well, I've had the Cooper S gauges installed under my toggles for a long time now, and my big complaints were always 1. Too hard to see when driving, 2. Lost storage space

This weekend, I combined the gauges with some Craven mounts and relocated them to the steering column to solve both complaints! Here's some pictures. I think it looks great!

Looks great!!!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I paid off Domo today!

:marshmellow: :party: :marshmellow:

That's awesome! Congratulations! Feels fantastic, doesn't it? :top:

I finally got my graphics on River, it's an orange glitter Dr Who theme. Laura and I are working on enhancing it as I bought extra vinyl

Awesome!! I keep thinking about doing a big Union Jack pattern on the back half of the car...

Scavenger - They look great! :top: I'd love to do that with my '06 S. How difficult is it to install the gauges and the mounts?

Thanks

Scavenger - They look great! :top: I'd love to do that with my '06 S. How difficult is it to install the gauges and the mounts?

Thanks

Thanks!

First of all, there might actually be some electronic ways of getting this information using the various OBDII plugs and apps available these days. But, my install is pure old fashioned hoses and wires.

Secondly, I have the JCW gauge set that was available for first-gens, one for Boost, the other for Volts. So, all hardware was included. If I can locate the info, I'll add the part number and instructions. However, it might be very difficult to locate this kit if at all since MINI probably hasn't produced it for many years. One note though, this kit will only partially work if you have the Chrono Pack.

So, let's assume that you can't find this kit. In this case, you'll need to purchase everything separately:

a. Gauges - Boost and Voltage.

b. Wiring and Hoses and special connectors.

c. Mounting brackets, pods (even if you found the kit, but have the Chrono Pack, you'll need to buy this stuff.)

the best thing would be to go with the Craven brackets and pods. Then, the first question I would ask is, "Do you have the Chrono Pack?". If so, then you have both Speedo and Tach on your steering column. This will help determine the best mounting locations. I have this pack as you can tell, so it's spreads things out a bit more. You could also buy some pods that bolted directly to the dash, but I wanted to avoid "adding" any new holes.

So, now for the real work -

The most complicated step is for the Boost gauge. You need to use a special T-connector to tap into a vacuum line, which required removing the intercooler to get to a vacuum line on the engine, and then routing the tube through the firewall.

The second is to find electrical connections for the gauge lighting and the voltage gauge. This was actually easy for me since the kit included the harness I needed so it was just a plug n play job. But, without the kit, you'll need to find a 12V switched source for the gauge. I hesitate to say use it also for the lighting, because I'm not sure whether the lights in the gauges are also 12V and to what circuit they are connected. I believe they go on and off with the rest of the dash lights. I don't have this information since this bit was easy with the kit.

For the mounting. Since I have the Chrono pack with both Speedo and Tach on the steering column, this is the reason for using the hardware from Craven. Again, I already had the brackets bolted up to hold my phone on one side and a Scanguage II on the other. Craven mounts are very modular, so all I did was remove the mounts for the phone and scangauge, and replace them with 52mm gauge pods.

I'd estimate that after you have all the parts and stuff, it will be at least a one-day or possible weekend job to get installed and working. There are a lot of helpful DIY videos on Youtube, Pelican Parts, and MINI2 forums but if you're not comfortable with this type of work, definitely let one of the local shops do the work.

I hope you figure it out and made it through my rambling reply... I'd love to see an update on your decision!!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com