Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

Roxy got a tan today! 35/50 tint job done by the folks at Tint-FX! :D

2015 Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S F56

6MT, Premium, Cold Weather, Media, LED, HUD

NM Engineering Power module

Borla Touring axle back exhaust

JCW style bonnet stripes

Seafoamed it last night. Much more smoke this time than when I did it before going to the Dragon. Unfortunately, all that carbon blowing out threw a code.

My magnetized tires picked up a nail again. I thought I'd be lucky with my non-run flats but noooo. Took the car to Curry's Auto to hopefully have it plugged and they said maybe yes maybe no. I don't know whether they were just trying to upsell but the tire was still under the road hazard warranty (we still will have to measure tread depth for Tire Rack). It's still a PITA. I have to mail the tire back to Tire Rack for credit (they will send me the shipping voucher but still that's going to be fun going to FedEx with a tire).

Finally finished painting my summer wheels...I got tired of the gold look and everyone asking me if they were 'subaru wheels' lol. I tested the yellow lettering look and I actually like it so I'll do that to the rest of them too...only wish the lettering was a big bigger but oh well.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anybody has ever wanted to paint their wheels too...makes for an easy winter project.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

59cedb7679d12_2014-12-2611_57_09.thumb.jpg.fc107d7c1645eb46a3b9799c7349b014.jpg

59cedb7679d12_2014-12-2611_57_09.thumb.jpg.fc107d7c1645eb46a3b9799c7349b014.jpg

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Finally finished painting my summer wheels...I got tired of the gold look and everyone asking me if they were 'subaru wheels' lol. I tested the yellow lettering look and I actually like it so I'll do that to the rest of them too...only wish the lettering was a big bigger but oh well.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anybody has ever wanted to paint their wheels too...makes for an easy winter project.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

Now that I have Plasti-dipped my wheels a couple of times and colors I was thinking of painting for permanence. Did you sand or scuff the rims first? Use any Primer? Etching Primer? Automotive Paint or Wheel Paint?

I see that Duplicolor, Rustoleum and Eastwood all have wheel painting kits and wondered if you used one of those?

A million questions I know… Thanks for any tips!

Chris

Now that I have Plasti-dipped my wheels a couple of times and colors I was thinking of painting for permanence. Did you sand or scuff the rims first? Use any Primer? Etching Primer? Automotive Paint or Wheel Paint?

I see that Duplicolor, Rustoleum and Eastwood all have wheel painting kits and wondered if you used one of those?

A million questions I know… Thanks for any tips!

Chris

no problem man, ask away!

So I scuffed them a bit with some 800 grit, put down a real light layer of primer...almost like that first layer you do with plasti dip...and then I put down 2 coats of the paint and 2 coats of clear coat.

As far as the paint, I actually used the Duplicolor Engine Enamel series. It dries even and fast and has held up well on my motorcycle wheels. Also was cheaper than the wheel kit you're talking about.

Took me about a can and a half per wheel. The backside I didn't really put as much effort, just coated it a few times but no clear or anything.

Once it dried (about 2 days later) I used 2000 grit to sand the clear coat and then used Meguiars ultimate compound to polish.

Now did it come out perfect? By no means...if you look closely, there's definitely slight orange peeling. But I didn't care...as long as the wheels look decent from 2-3 feet away, that was good enough for me.

Also, I'll add that if you're using spray cans, like I did, they sell this trigger type attachment that makes painting soooo much easier. attaches right on top of the can and you just squeeze.

Good luck Chris!

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Very nice!

thanks!

Looks good, I like the tires. How long do you think it will last?

thanks man...and I have no clue. It's sitting out in the rain right now...I'm hoping it even lasts through today lolol

Looks Nice!!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Looks Nice!!

Thanks!

...and I finally have two seats again! lol...fits me like a glove, barely. I need to make sure I don't put on anymore weight in the wrong areas lol.

20141231_214825.jpg.fad3be6068abf4efd91f09312baeeb80.jpg

20141231_214755.jpg.12aa2544031a84863c7278c4b6bfe43a.jpg

20141231_214825.jpg.fad3be6068abf4efd91f09312baeeb80.jpg

20141231_214755.jpg.12aa2544031a84863c7278c4b6bfe43a.jpg

I replaced the struts on the boot lid today, now it stays open again!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Dropped it off for diagnostics today :frown:

I can't communicate with the PCM through the OBD connector, and until that gets fixed, I can't get Emissions testing done....

Were they able to find the problem?

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels