Lt. Dan

What did you do to your Mini today?

If a thread like this exists, please feel free to delete it and direct me to the proper place :top:

On another forum I'm part of, there is a thread where people can post the more average stuff they have done to their vehicles on a daily basis, instead creating a completely new thread... Just a fun way to pass the time and see what everybody else is up to...

A couple days ago, I finally got my MINI up on a lift for the first time... Very first thing to jump out at me was a broken passenger front swaybar endlink!!!

Quick trip to Olympus ($15 bucks a piece), and an hour later I replaced all four... How about that, it actually handles "better"... LOL

Compared to my Jeep and the car I got rid of, the stereo in my MINI was pretty sparse on the options. Hopped on Crutchfield, placed an order, and tonight I installed a Pioneer Digital Media Receiver:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X560BT/Pioneer-MVH-X560BT.html?tp=5684

and an inexpensive pair of Kenwood speakers in the doors to replace the blown ones:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1131665S/Kenwood-KFC-1665S.html?tp=95

Thanks to Crutchfield, the install was very easy. They included the mounting bracket, wiring harness, antenna adapter, and speaker mounts with my purchase, and even included free shipping! Order was placed at 2:00pm, and everything was on my doorstep the next day.

I now have bluetooth connectivity, hands free calling, and a hook-up for my satellite radio. The new unit is also about half as deep as the factory one, since it doesn't have a CD player(seriously, who still uses CD's?) That gives me a nice little bit of room behind the dash for any other future installs (radar detector?)

Compared to my Jeep and the car I got rid of, the stereo in my MINI was pretty sparse on the options. Hopped on Crutchfield, placed an order, and tonight I installed a Pioneer Digital Media Receiver:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X560BT/Pioneer-MVH-X560BT.html?tp=5684

and an inexpensive pair of Kenwood speakers in the doors to replace the blown ones:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1131665S/Kenwood-KFC-1665S.html?tp=95

Thanks to Crutchfield, the install was very easy. They included the mounting bracket, wiring harness, antenna adapter, and speaker mounts with my purchase, and even included free shipping! Order was placed at 2:00pm, and everything was on my doorstep the next day.

I now have bluetooth connectivity, hands free calling, and a hook-up for my satellite radio. The new unit is also about half as deep as the factory one, since it doesn't have a CD player(seriously, who still uses CD's?) That gives me a nice little bit of room behind the dash for any other future installs (radar detector?)

:congrats::top:

image.php?u=1209&type=sigpic&dateline=13

If a thread like this exists, please feel free to delete it and direct me to the proper place :top:

On another forum I'm part of, there is a thread where people can post the more average stuff they have done to their vehicles on a daily basis, instead creating a completely new thread... Just a fun way to pass the time and see what everybody else is up to...

Great idea for a thread, thanks for posting it

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

I've been hearing a clunking noise from the rear of my MINI going over bumps. Both I and the previous owner thought it was from the worn rear endlinks... Well, after replacing those, the noise was not only still there, but got progressively louder over the next couple days! Finally last week, I hit a bump and there was a loud bang, followed by what sounded like a dumpster being dragged behind the car!!!

I got out to look, and found the straps for the left side muffler had been rusted through for quite a while, and finally snapped!!! The muffler decided it didn't want to stay completely attached.... LOL...

Looking around online, I lucked out and found the rear section for an Invidia exhaust for sale locally!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221569582382

I couldn't argue with the price, so I clicked the "buy it now", and picked it up a couple days later. A little welding, and a clamp, and the new muffler was on! The car now sounds great, and has a terrific burble off idle... Unfortunately, the knocking noise is still there, so the search continues...

Bluetooth audio streaming FTW. :)

Yes, I know the newer R56's have an aux jack... but who wants to plug and unplug cables from their phone all the time? Having a power connection is bad enough! I put a Belkin Bluetooth Car Kit in... nicely mounted the button on the dash, hid all the wiring (it plugs into that aux jack and the cig lighter)... push a button and now my music plays from phone through stereo!

Yes, the MINI already does phone calls... and it still will. I don't intend to use the Belkin for that purpose (it got poor comments for its lack of noise cancelling anyway)... I just wanted wireless tunes!

And for about half its retail price, a great deal too!

Looks great, well done:congrats::top: Did you order a beltline kit, or use red electrical tape?

I ordered a beltline kit... I would think that the adhesive on electrical tape would be not quite intended to handle the elements as much as automotive-grade vinyl. :)

What lame VW are you going with? Man up and get something RWD!

I haven't decided on anything yet nor test driven anything. The only things really on my radar are either a GTI or Golf R. I've always loved the GTI and the stupid MINI. I can't do anything basic like a Honda, although I joked about it after all the stupid problems I've been having.

I haven't decided on anything yet nor test driven anything. The only things really on my radar are either a GTI or Golf R. I've always loved the GTI and the stupid MINI. I can't do anything basic like a Honda, although I joked about it after all the stupid problems I've been having.

I've owned several VWs, to include the GTI and Golf R. And if you read the forums, you'll find that there's the same love/hate relationship as with MINI folks. The common thread is, the ones having issues are the ones modding the crap out of their cars. That's also a reason I shy away from used cars. At least with a new one, I know what's been tinkered with (nothing).

IMO if you go VW, save some $$ and get a GTI over an R. Especially buying used. I think my Golf R was one of the rarest out there, because it had exactly zero mods. Even the tires were stock/original when I sold it.

Why can't you go 'basic' like a Honda? Too boring for you? I've found that with cars - or most things in life - the reliable (or 'safe') choices are typically the boring choices :wink:

I've owned several VWs, to include the GTI and Golf R. And if you read the forums, you'll find that there's the same love/hate relationship as with MINI folks. The common thread is, the ones having issues are the ones modding the crap out of their cars. That's also a reason I shy away from used cars. At least with a new one, I know what's been tinkered with (nothing).

IMO if you go VW, save some $$ and get a GTI over an R. Especially buying used. I think my Golf R was one of the rarest out there, because it had exactly zero mods. Even the tires were stock/original when I sold it.

Why can't you go 'basic' like a Honda? Too boring for you? I've found that with cars - or most things in life - the reliable (or 'safe') choices are typically the boring choices :wink:

You sold your Golf R?! When did that happen?!!!! Believe it or not, most of my mods are suspension. I obviously also have pink mirror caps and stickers, which definitely don't cause timing chain issues, check engine lights, and any other stupid problems my car has had in the last three months :(

Hondas have never done anything for me other than annoy the crap out of me. I dislike them.

Tigger went to Odds and Ends Detailing and got a full mani/ pedi (replaced the tires), massage ( detailing with clay bar and buffing) and his hair did (convertible top treatment)

He looks amazing and is ready for winter :top:

You may be the biggest (cutest) dork I know.

Came across a pretty good deal on an akropovic dp on NAM that I couldn't pass up. Arrived today and I installed in my driveway. Installation was a surprisingly easy, despite these gargantuan hands and only having rhino ramps.

How do I like it? I'll put it this way...whatever buyer's remorse I may have had about dropping money on a car I didn't really drive anymore...was IMMEDIATELY wiped away the second I gave her a slight rev in the driveway.

All smiles here, the flame has been rekindled between my mini and I. :biggrin:

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee