LV2CRNR

What tires to get?

Need new tires for the MINI and not sure what to get. Anyone with different than stock tires want to chime in would be great. Leaning towards KDW2's or Nitto Neo Gen's.

Jason

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Leaning towards KDW2's or Nitto Neo Gen's.

Jason

KDW2 is good, looks cool as well.

I was really happy with Toyo T1-R and T1-S.

I have Yokohama Parada Spec II on now. Dry condition, it works really really good :top:. Wet is ok. Winter is a no no. :tongue:

That question also depends on whether you hate runflats or not.

Personally, I love mine. Most people don't though. :dontknow:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Why not, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm planning on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport's next month.

Going by the survey results over at Tire Rack, the KDW2's have a little edge in performance over the RE760s but are loud.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just bought my 3rd set of KUMHO SPT 215-45-17. They are $84.00

at the TireRack. They are great in the dry and pretty close to great

in the wet, for the price you can't go wrong. I usually get 20m - 25m

before they get very noisy and you can feel them start to go. :motor:

I went with the Bridgestone Potenza G019 because I was looking for an all season radial to replace by run flats. So far they are holding up great even after a couple of track days. A whole lot quieter than the stock tires and the price was right.

2012 Jeep Rubicon

I have 2 sets of 17's my street set and another set for race hoosier's. Don't mind run flats, but the price is pretty crazy and I plan on replacing my back seat with a spare tire attached to a rear seat delete board.

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i"m about to get my third set of yokohama AVS ES 100. The last set have been on for 37,000. They are great and not very noisy, at least not as much as teh run flats. pretty good on wet pavement and super in the dry

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

You still picking up my 17" S-Lites on Sunday, Jason ?

I was running Falken Ziex 912s on them and really liked them for a solid summer performance tire.

Yeah got the cash. Just wondering if they will be bouncing around for the run. I can pick them up at your place or the meet is fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah got the cash. Just wondering if they will be bouncing around for the run. I can pick them up at your place or the meet is fine.

It's up to you, Jason. If you don't want them in your MINI during the run, you're welcome to stop by and get them sometime.

I live in Eldersburg, southern part of Carroll County, about 5 miles north of I-70.

Tomorrow is fine

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looked at the RE760's and decided not to get them because I heard they get flat spots sitting in temps 60 and under. Went with 215/40/17 Dunlop Z1 star specs tires. Paying 110 a piece through my friends shop. Will post up how I like them later in the week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looked at the RE760's and decided not to get them because I heard they get flat spots sitting in temps 60 and under. Went with 215/40/17 Dunlop Z1 star specs tires. Paying 110 a piece through my friends shop. Will post up how I like them later in the week.

Heh, in the past couple days I switched my planned tires from the RE760s to the Z1 Star specs also. In my case it was a decision to go for performance over tire life, but if the RE760s develop flat spots that's a good thing to know.

Car and Driver's August 2009 edition has a tire comparison test for summer tires under $140 and the Z1 Star Specs came out on top. The RE760s were 4th, due (I would guess) to having a longer life and quieter ride. I'd likely still be buying them if I hadn't been tempted away to get some Extreme summer tires.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That article is the reason for my order. I will send you price installed tomorrow if you want

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need new tires for the MINI and not sure what to get. Anyone with different than stock tires want to chime in would be great. Leaning towards KDW2's or Nitto Neo Gen's.

Jason

I ran KDW's on my RSX and Civic. Hated them. Wound up with RE 960's on the RSX and Avid H4's on the Civic. Stayed round, worked on a car as light as ours, and pretty good in the damp. Duh, it does rain around here. The KDW's and Dunlop 5000's seemed both to be for heavier cars.

Can't say I am impressed with the Continental run-flats I have. Guess I need to see what it takes to retrofit a mini-spare and go back to conventional tires.

I am running Hankook Ventus V4es non-runflat tires now on an 2006 MCS and have almost 30,000 miles :motor:on them, they seem like a pretty nice tire for spirited weekend/work week driving, no track time but are close to needing replacement.rated 420 A:frown:/A $ 120 at sears. I'd buy them again, but looking at options.

Considering Goodyear F1 GS D3 rated 280 (sticky) AA:biggrin:/A $211 at sears because I heard the wet traction is out of the park:biggrin:, but Tirerack said they had some production problems that caused Noise after break in= 3 months for new batch with fix? anyone have these with feedback?:dontknow:

Also considering Michilin Pilot Sport AS Plus 500:questionmark: AA:biggrin:/A $160 at Tirerack.

Sounds like newer tech/ and also great in rain, even snow, say testers kind words ( top rated) at Tire rack . Anyone try these yet?:dontknow: That's where I'm leaning.

Also looking for a place to trust with mounting the tires up without scrathing up the rims, if anyone has a favorite MINI friendly local garage? Mach V?

Love your opinions, especially if you run same size...

Considering Goodyear F1 GS D3 rated 280 (sticky) AA:biggrin:/A $211 at sears because I heard the wet traction is out of the park:biggrin:, but Tirerack said they had some production problems that caused Noise after break in= 3 months for new batch with fix? anyone have these with feedback?:dontknow:

I have a new set of the GS/D3s and sadly, they are now made in China (no more German Goodyears). In and of itself, that might not make them bad tires, but I also have a reasonably new set of the same model tires that were made in Germany. My set of Chinese tires will not hold a balance for more than 100 miles of highway driving (absolutely no potholes/curbs/bumps) and they just don't seem as sticky on a dry road as the German ones. To be fair, the Germans are on the OEM rims (205/50x16) and the Chinese are on 17" Rotas (225/45x17). I had expected the 17s to stick better than the 16s, but they don't seem to. Haven't had the chance to get them on a track with a stopwatch to compare, so this is a seat of the pants comparison, and your experience might be better. I would recommend AGAINST the Chinese Goodyears until somebody has a favorable experience with them. Just my two cents.

Edit: Tire Rack is right on about the wet traction... these tires RULE in the rain! :D

Jason

After 3000 miles on the Conti run flats, I have had enough of them. Way to harsh, goes airborne over expansion joints and do not grip anywhere like I am used to.

I think I will put on RS960's in 205-16 and find a doughnut. Any idea what space savers fit? Honda?

BTW, if I dump the TPS ( I tune the handling with air you know) Is their an easy way to turn the light off? Jumper it out to the ECU or something?

VW has a better idea. You fill the tires where you want them and push a button. It then sets the range for what YOU picked.

Now that I've had the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs (couldn't they have come up with a shorter name?), I can say that I love these tires. They do have a hum at highway speed tho. It's not that it's louder than the stock runflats, but it's different and I think a bit more noticeable.

The treadwear is rated at 200 though, so I figure I'll get 1 1/2 - 2 summers out of them, depending on how many runs I go on ;)

Edit: Oh, and I got my wheels + tires mounted out at Mach V. Did a great job, no problems with scratches on the rims or anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]