TGGRRR (Ali)

Dragon Safety time

We start this thread every year so that the new people on the Dragon understand how to stay safe.

The Dragon is a public road, do not exceed the limit of your ability. There are well marked turn outs so if you have someone behind you that wants to go faster, pull over and let them pass.

If you want to go faster have patience. Either wait for them to pull over, or pull over yourself to give them time to gain ground on you. BUT DO NOT PASS!!!!

Do not cross the yellow line!!!!

I know others will have tips but this is the big one

We want to avoid

:ambulance::cop:

We want to encourage

:motor: :dragon: safety

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Keep to the posted speed limit unless you want to have an up close and personal chat with the local LEOs, which are every where and just waiting to bust people.

Cool your brakes at each end of the Dragon..it is not a road you want to get brake fade on.

If it rains, and you've either never driven the Dragon or only driven it a few times, stay off of it.

ALL the roads up there are potentially dangerous...be awake and aware. The Hellbender actually eats more cars each year than the Dragon. it just doesn't get the same publicity.

I highly recommend attending one of the free safety seminars that will be offered.

It's also important to watch out for the people who aren't driving well or paying attention. Celia was run off the road a couple of years ago by a local towing a trailer and last year I encountered an oncoming semi.

Be careful, pay attention and have fun! :motor:

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

In my experience a lot of the Harley drivers are very slow and will not pull over. Do not pass, pull over let them gain ground and get back on the road. Passing is dangerous at worst you can cause an accident if seen you could be banned from the event in the future.

It's not worth the risk.

Stay alert and stay safe.

Tggrrr010.jpg

A summary for safety? HWY 129 (The Dragon) is a public roadway, not a race track. Obey the posted speed limits and "rules of the road". Stay on your side of the yellow and white lines, be cautious and aware of those who don't. In general, you don't have to worry about the sport bikes, you won't be able to keep up with them (and you should never try). The full dresser bikes (full fairings, saddle bags, etc., etc.) and trikes, are typically going to be at, or just below the posted speed limit so honking at them and getting upset isn't going to help. If a State Trooper see's you doing so, it could end up being a substantially dissapointing experience. The same goes for other vehicles that use the road as the shortest route between points A and B.

The legends of tickets are actually true and while I hate the idea of ticket writing for revenue purposes, these tickets are for safety... For a reality check, take a look at the document in this link. I don't think I've heard of a single year in which the troopers didn't write a few tickets during the Dragon Parade and speed limits and rules of the road will be strictly enforced - especially on Sunday morning when every state and local law enforcement agency knows that there will be hundreds of cars leaving on a limited number of roads.

Enjoy it to it's fullest and survive to go again, and again, and again.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Do you know where the video is of the MINI that crossed the center line at every curve? It was the, "Don't be that guy" type of video. I remember someone saying that he tried to make the road straight.

I remember that, he tried to say it was safe because he had a vehicle up ahead watching out for him.

I also remember thinking

What fun is that??? Why would you want to straighten out the lines?

Tggrrr010.jpg

I remember that, he tried to say it was safe because he had a vehicle up ahead watching out for him.

I'd love to hear the response of the trooper writing the ticket for that...:rofl:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

To me, driving the Dragon responsibly comes down to a few basic points:

• Don't drive beyond your limits.
  • Realize that not everyone has the same limits you do.
  • If you can't take the turns without crossing the double yellow line, even on sharp hairpin turns, then you are driving beyond your limits. Either slow down or pay more attention to what you're doing.

Those basics above also come down to simple courtesy:

• Did someone else catch up to you on the Dragon?
    • Don't stress about it, don't get nervous.
    • Don't speed up and drive beyond your limits, that's dangerous.
    • Do pull over to let them past when a safe spot opens up to do so.

[*]Did you catch up to someone else on the Dragon?

• Don't tailgate, honk angrily or otherwise drive like a donkey.
    • Do be patient and let them drive at their limits until they get a chance to pull off safely.
    • When they do pull over and let you pass, give a "thank you" honk and wave. It will encourage them to continue to do it!
    • If you are frustrated by them, especially if they refuse to pull off and let you pass at the next safe pullover, then you should pull over, take a break and let them catch up. Road rage is amplified on the Dragon - don't let it get the best of you.

Just following the above simple advice makes a huge difference in how much you can enjoy the Dragon and other twisty roads in that region.

Edited by Edge

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Do you know where the video is of the MINI that crossed the center line at every curve? It was the, "Don't be that guy" type of video. I remember someone saying that he tried to make the road straight.

It was this guy...

Leg Daddy Racing. They don't appear to be around anymore. I can't imagine why... :stupid:

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

You don't want that reputation.

A few years ago when the woman named Allison driving a Hot Orange Cabrio with flames and Dragons on the doors passed and almost caused an accident with Killboy some people thought that was me. Katie explained to Barry that it wasn't me and that I will barely pass on a straight. She saved my reputation. Tigger doesn't have dragons on the doors but her MINI looked a lot like Tigger. I now call it Tigger's evil twin...

Tggrrr010.jpg

You don't want that reputation.

A few years ago when the woman named Allison driving a Hot Orange Cabrio with flames and Dragons on the doors passed and almost caused an accident with Killboy some people thought that was me. Katie explained to Barry that it wasn't me and that I will barely pass on a straight. She saved my reputation. Tigger doesn't have dragons on the doors but her MINI looked a lot like Tigger. I now call it Tigger's evil twin...

She got ripped so many new ones when folks found out that I don't think she's been back. Since I won't be there to run defense, y'all better behave.

She got ripped so many new ones when folks found out that I don't think she's been back. Since I won't be there to run defense, y'all better behave.

I spoke to the original owner of the car. She sold it and has never been back. So now the MINI is on it's 3rd owner so if you do see the HO with the flames and Dragons, it's not the same driver

Tggrrr010.jpg