Kinickie

Help! MINI broken into, need glass shop quick!

Posted this over at NAM, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here too:

So yeah, the police woke me up this morning to let me know that someone had broken into my car. They shattered the driver's side window and stole my GPS, which was worth less than it will cost to repair the window mad.gif.

From what I was told by my insurance co., the only place that can repair it is in Arlington and I have to wait until tomorrow. Does anyone know of a place that's open Sundays that would be able replace the window? I'm in Herndon, VA. Please help frown.gif

progress.gif

Sunday is always a challenge for car service... if you don't have access to an undercover garage, you might have to tape up some plastic as a temporary measure. Sucks, I know! :frown:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I would highly recommend Armor Auto Glass. They came out the same day and replaced the driver's side window glass when my MINI got broken in to.

And a few months ago I ended up with a pretty big crack in the windshield (it was behind the rear view mirror and I must not have noticed it until it got to be a major crack). Since I knew I was probably going to have to sell my MINI, and inspection was looming, I asked if they could use MINI-branded glass for the windshield. Armor worked with State Farm to make sure that I could have OEM glass installed (even though the glass they use is apparently just as good and under warranty). The MINI branded glass took an extra day to order, but I think it was definitely worth it.

Armor Auto glass does the entire NoVA/DC area and is a mobile service so they'll come out to you. You can reach them at 703.478.0090. Susan is the person I worked with in the office and is great. Chris is the Master Technician who knew all about MINIs and did both the window glass and the windshield.

Highly recommended!!:top:

I had this same thing happen to me over the weekend in a Metro garage near my house in Maryland. The thieves smashed my passenger window to get at a whole lot of nothing in my car.

I saw Armor Auto Glass mentioned in this thread but also saw the 2009 date. Has anyone had a more recent experience getting glass replaced that they could share? For reference I have a 2010 Cooper S.

Thank you in advance!!!

Erin

Ms. Mini is my beloved 2010 British Racing Green Cooper S

I had this same thing happen to me over the weekend in a Metro garage near my house in Maryland. The thieves smashed my passenger window to get at a whole lot of nothing in my car.

I saw Armor Auto Glass mentioned in this thread but also saw the 2009 date. Has anyone had a more recent experience getting glass replaced that they could share? For reference I have a 2010 Cooper S.

Thank you in advance!!!

Damn! Sorry to see this, I don't have any advice on glass, but I live in metro MD also. Can you share a specific location so I can avoid it!?

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I was parked overnight at Wheaton. I spoke at length to the Metro Transit Police officers who came out to take the report that they said there had been several recent break-ins at College Park also.

I ended up calling a company that State Farm recommended called Glass America. They are scheduled to come out to my house on Wednesday. For fun I called Mini of Annapolis to get a quote of them too and Glass America came in at under half of the what the dealer was asking.

Erin

Ms. Mini is my beloved 2010 British Racing Green Cooper S

Posted this over at NAM, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here too:

So yeah, the police woke me up this morning to let me know that someone had broken into my car. They shattered the driver's side window and stole my GPS, which was worth less than it will cost to repair the window mad.gif.

From what I was told by my insurance co., the only place that can repair it is in Arlington and I have to wait until tomorrow. Does anyone know of a place that's open Sundays that would be able replace the window? I'm in Herndon, VA. Please help frown.gif

progress.gif

Now that you have some recommendations on the Glass shops, let me point out the other item. The GPS!

Mainly because my brother-in-law is a detective, there have been numerous crimes where only the GPS was taken...not much is thought of at that point. That is only part of the crime as these items tend to have your saved addresses/locations and those of loved ones stored in them. This was a common item reported in a string of robberies in his jurisdiction. Just a word of caution as you are focused on the window and not the cheap GPS.

Just looking out!

Ross