Jasen Hicks

Back of the Dragon Run

Here's the loose plan I have, probably won't get more detailed because then it feels too much like work!

1. Take off from Falls Church at 0830. I think meeting up in the iHop parking lot off of 50 and Annandale would work.

2. Drive for about 3.5 hours and stop for lunch somewhere quick... maybe in Radford or something.

3. Arrive in Marion ~6 hours after depart, 1430.

4. We can check in to a hotel, I am thinking the General Franklin, http://gfmhotel.com/blackrooster/, it's $99 a night. Frankly, I will have just met most of you... you might be creepy. Plus it seems like its a decent place in a populated area so finding a place to grab a drink after we put the kids to bed (... the cars.. not actual kids...) should be easy.

5. Make the Drive up to Tazwell along the Back of the Dragon. It's supposedly an hour.

6. Dinner in Tazwell. Choices are very limited... seems back-woods VA isn't the hip dineout area like DC. Yelp says this place is good? I'm throwing out some ideas. This is literally the most planning I have ever done for a personal trip! http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-mariachi-...north-tazewell

7. Sunset cruise back to Marion for some drinks and sleep.

8. Leave in the AM. I might hit up some of the National Parks for photo ops of nature... not sure yet.

Anybody else?

I may have to bow out of this one...I'll know for sure by next week!

Confirmed.... I'm going to play it safe and sit this one out. Can't wait to hear how it goes though!

Edited by RDG_RCR

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Made it back in one piece. Car just got washed because of the ridiculous amount of bugs I picked up over the 600+ miles. Totally worthwhile trip.

Marion has a lot of restaurants and fast food joints given it's size. The downtown area where I stayed was nice. It wasn't amazing, but it was nice. Hungry Mother State Park was near by (about 2 miles away) which offered swimming, paddle boards, canoes, etc. So a good weekend trip makes this 5 hour drive worth it.

Tazewell was barren. Not much to see or do there. Because it was so slim pickin's I recommend a south to north run and flip around to get back to Marion... it definitely had more to offer.

Made it back in one piece. Car just got washed because of the ridiculous amount of bugs I picked up over the 600+ miles. Totally worthwhile trip.

Marion has a lot of restaurants and fast food joints given it's size. The downtown area where I stayed was nice. It wasn't amazing, but it was nice. Hungry Mother State Park was near by (about 2 miles away) which offered swimming, paddle boards, canoes, etc. So a good weekend trip makes this 5 hour drive worth it.

Tazewell was barren. Not much to see or do there. Because it was so slim pickin's I recommend a south to north run and flip around to get back to Marion... it definitely had more to offer.

Would you do it again like as a group, weekend trip?

The intent was for this to be a group outing, but Yes I would do it again... ill let others propose a date though so we can get more interest/attendance.

It was a lot of fun. In fact, the second run down the road I hit 70 a few times and took some curves a bit faster and managed to make myself a little nauseated. It was awesome.

The intent was for this to be a group outing, but Yes I would do it again... ill let others propose a date though so we can get more interest/attendance.

It was a lot of fun. In fact, the second run down the road I hit 70 a few times and took some curves a bit faster and managed to make myself a little nauseated. It was awesome.

Start planning for the Dragon for next year :D