RichSperry

Walnut blasting service

Cool! I may have some parts that could use blasting.

On a similar note, I've got a small parts vibration polisher with walnut media (used it in restoring all the brightwork in a couple pinball machines). . .anyone needs some smallish parts cleaned and polished and I could hook you up.

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gotta replace the pads and rotors first but definitely want to get this done in the next month of two.

Maybe we set up a Intake Walnut Blasting party like the window tint party. Chance to hang out, work on the cars, get the intakes all fresh and clean and get some $$ to a fellow club member that has take the time to invest in some nice tools...

Just a thought...

Cool! I may have some parts that could use blasting.

On a similar note, I've got a small parts vibration polisher with walnut media (used it in restoring all the brightwork in a couple pinball machines). . .anyone needs some smallish parts cleaned and polished and I could hook you up.

Might have to take you up on that. Im taking apart my wheels to refinish and was wondering how parts vibrator would work on the 136 bolts i have to polish haha

The parts cleaner was designed for that, ~24 hours and they'll be clean, bright and shiny. I've even got a sifter tray to separate them from the media.

Downside is I'm out of town and won't be back until July 1. If you can wait until then I'd be happy to hook you up.

Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let's not get all excited yet, either the wand or the vacuum adapter is on back order, but I should have it by next week.

Also let me do mine first, so I can figure out the process...lol

No matter where you go, there you are!

The parts cleaner was designed for that, ~24 hours and they'll be clean, bright and shiny. I've even got a sifter tray to separate them from the media.

Downside is I'm out of town and won't be back until July 1. If you can wait until then I'd be happy to hook you up.

Cheers!

Sweet! I can wait because I have other things that need to get done haha :top:

Let's not get all excited yet, either the wand or the vacuum adapter is on back order, but I should have it by next week.

Also let me do mine first, so I can figure out the process...lol

Let me know when you wanna take a crack at the centers. I can bring you a bag of Walnut media to if you'd like.

Heck, I'm retired, so if I'm not playing golf or mowing the lawn, (or more recently visiting doctors? what's up with that??? lol) I'm free.

What type/size walnut media do you have? I'm pretty sure that the valves should take a 20/30 (medium if I'm not mistaken?) And the medium is reusable (up to a point) I'd think you would want something more abrasive than that for the wheel centers.

No matter where you go, there you are!

Well I bought the tools to do walnut blasting of the intake valves. Would anyone be interested, and what's it worth to you... No I don't want to make a living doing it...lol

I was told by Mini in Montgomery County that I needed carbon blasting but the cost was outrageous. My car doesn't have any symptoms. Starts fine. Idles steady. Runs fine. My Mini has 67k miles on it. Did you ever have that Intake Walnut Blasting party? I might be interested in that.

I was told by Mini in Montgomery County that I needed carbon blasting but the cost was outrageous. My car doesn't have any symptoms. Starts fine. Idles steady. Runs fine. My Mini has 67k miles on it. Did you ever have that Intake Walnut Blasting party? I might be interested in that.

what did they quote you out of curiosity?

2010 Mini Copper S *Stg 2 Battle Tuned*

2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade

I just asked Rich the same question a few days ago. He's not doing it at the moment but may look into it again in a couple of months.

I picked up a couple of parts at Mach V today and they are going to start doing walnut blasting probably as early as next week. They are still testing the equipment and seeing how much time it takes before setting a final price. I'll post an update when I find out how much.

A couple hundred for a flash?

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

my ratio of cost that was for walnut blasting vs how much was for the ecu flash may be of a bit. I know the total was $7XX for the both and the walnut blasting was $500 something so ECU flash/reprogram/update was probably in the $100-150 range.

I asked if I could skip the ECU programing, I have a Cobb Accessport and as it is no longer supported I don't want the ecu to be updated to where the Accessport no longer works with the new software. Service guy seemed to say there was no way to do it without reprograming.

I will likely grab a Bentley Manual, gather the tools and take it on myself some warm weekend this summer.

A couple hundred for a flash?

my ratio of cost that was for walnut blasting vs how much was for the ecu flash may be of a bit. I know the total was $7XX for the both and the walnut blasting was $500 something so ECU flash/reprogram/update was probably in the $100-150 range.

I asked if I could skip the ECU programing, I have a Cobb Accessport and as it is no longer supported I don't want the ecu to be updated to where the Accessport no longer works with the new software. Service guy seemed to say there was no way to do it without reprograming.

I will likely grab a Bentley Manual, gather the tools and take it on myself some warm weekend this summer.

It takes a solid hour or more for the entire ECU flash - long enough that it's on a battery charger for it. I'm not sure what the justification is for it though. Resetting the ECU would be good enough.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

You still up for doing a walnut blasting party? I'd be game for my bmw. Intake valves get super funky on direct injection and seafoam doesn't do a thing for 'em.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is the ecu flash required with a walnut blast? I spoke to Eric at Helix and he quoted me $350 for a walnut blast which is the best rate I've found so far so I plan on making the trip to southern philly next month. (He's received rave reviews on NAM; everyone says is well worth the trip).

But now I wonder, if this ecu flash is required...does his price includes that?

I'm waiting for his response...

EDIT:

Response from Eric: "You don't need to mess with the ECU, you're just putting the car back to the way it ran when new. People may have been talking about resetting the adaptations, which we can do for no extra charge."

Edited by Cambo

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

is the ecu flash required with a walnut blast? I spoke to Eric at Helix and he quoted me $350 for a walnut blast which is the best rate I've found so far so I plan on making the trip to southern philly next month. (He's received rave reviews on NAM; everyone says is well worth the trip).

But now I wonder, if this ecu flash is required...does his price includes that?

I'm waiting for his response...

EDIT:

Response from Eric: "You don't need to mess with the ECU, you're just putting the car back to the way it ran when new. People may have been talking about resetting the adaptations, which we can do for no extra charge."

Last year at the Dragon Helix did the walnut blast on Mark's JCW. All went well and the car did great. He paid the same price they quoted you.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg