Drillslinger

Gotta job in DC!

Hello everyone :itsme:

Looks like I'll be leaving Germany around the first of the year and going to a new job in Arlington. This will be my first time living in the area so I'm looking for any advice I can get re: good neighborhoods (VA or MD side) where to get the MINI (and BMW) serviced, WHICH STATE IS MORE MOD-FRIENDLY?? etc.

TIA,

Drill :tee:

Hi Tia,

Welcome. If you are looking for a place to live in either DC or MD let me know. I am a Realtor and work for a Property Management Co and we have many properties in the area. We don't have any in VA though. I would suggest OXSpeed for you Mini needs. They are in MD and a little ways out of the city, but they are fantastic !

If your interested in finding a place e-mail me or PM me.

Geno

image.php?u=888&type=sigpic&dateline=136

If you're going to be working in Arlington, I strongly encourage you to try to find a place to live in VA, or at least very close to the river bridges if you choose DC or MD instead. DC-area traffic is one of the worst in the nation - you really want to try to optimize your commute as much as possible.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Michael, Carmen, and Drill Bit (I like the name... a lot! :top: ) Welcome!

If you will be working in Arlington I recommend looking in Arlington, DC, or close in Fairfax Co. (inside the Beltway). There are many factors to consider but usually budget and wants are top on the list and this area can be VERY expensive. We are also knows for some of the worst traffic in the nation.

I live in Montgomery Co. Maryland and have worked downtown (DC), in Crystal City (Arlington), Tysons Corner (Fairfax Co.), Herndon, and now Reston. I cannot speak about Arlington but I can recommend doing your research and ask a lot of questions and listen to what people are saying. You have a great resource here and people from all over the DC area.

Good Luck. :itsme:

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

traffic sucks here most of the time if you are looking to rent or buy look into fairlington i use to live there, its bout 5-10 mins outside dc right off 395 its in a great area, shirlington right down the hill (great places to eat). if you dont feel like driving no problem metro buses come through there often.

hope that help

and welcome to dcmm

Edited by minime331

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Welcome welcome!

"If you will be working in Arlington I recommend looking in Arlington, DC"

I second that. I have a 1 mile commute which gives me more of my life back instead of burning it up as windshield time. Residing near a Metro rail stop may also be ideal (depends if your job is Metro rail accessible). Either will save your mind and body for more important things in life. But convenience costs, and I don't know what your needs are.

Nonetheless we look forward to seeing you and your MINI when you're settled in and can come out and play.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

If you want to live on the metro line, you should expect rent/mortage to be more expensive. We rent right now and the price went up at least $300 a month just for that convenience.

I don't know where you're going to work in Arlington, but if it's Federal Government, one of the perks is that the gov't will give you a stipend towards public transportation if you choose, that can offset some of the cost of the increased housing expense. Just food for thought. Other private sector jobs do offer something similar to this, but I can't speak for them.

Signature.JPG

If you're going to be working in Arlington, it will be a lot more convenient to live in VA. I also work in Arlington and lived in DC (Adams Morgan) for awhile. The commute wasn't bad at all because I was very close to Rock Creek Parkway and it was a reverse commute. It took about 15 minutes. However, if I took the Metro, it was closer to 45 due to having to transfer lines.

I live in Alexandria now (right on the Alexandria/Arlington border) and my commute isn't too bad. Driving it's just under 30 minutes and that's due to traffic. If it's not rush hour, it's closer to 10.

If you're looking for a MINI shop in VA, there is Mach V in Sterling and MINI Dynamics (they come to you!).

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Excellent info so far, THANKS :top:

I'll be working on S George Mason and will be able to choose either stipend towards Public Trans or Parking privileges. In the past I've been as far out as 60+ miles from work but that was here in Germany and "only" took about an hour. Just looking at Google Maps and the TomTom traffic map I figure if I can keep within 30miles I "should" be able to keep my drive to about an hour but without real world experience I can't be sure. I've got friends who live in Gainesville and when I was at Belvoir for a class we made it from their house to post in about 45 minutes but I think we were leaving at like 5 am :banghead:

We're still trying to decide between renting or buying but still aren't 100% that this will be a long term job. I may wind up just sticking around for 2 years and trying to come back to Germany :dontknow: Regardless, we want to make the most out of the opportunity but I've never been much of a "city" person and now that the family has grown (came to Germany with just the Frau and leaving with 2 kids and a dog) I have to consider SO MANY more things like crime, schools, etc.

Appreciate the help/advice, keep it coming, lol :beer:

30 miles in this area would not guarantee you a 1 hour commute, especially if you live outside the beltway and are coming in. I live inside the beltway and drive to DC, I leave the house at 6:50 and still hit some traffic making my 11 mile commute in 30 - 40 minutes, if I leave the house later at say 7:15 it's 45 minutes min, and when I've had a dr appt and left at 9:00 it takes over an hour.

Chris suggested Fairlington in Arlington, they are older townhouses, but usually fairly reasonable for Arlington, it's not near a metro. However, depending on which part of George Mason your office is, it may not be near a metro either.

If you can get inside the beltway you'll be happier. I'm on the Annandale line and it's more affordable here then Arlington and still inside.

Our traffic is bad on a normal day, if it rains things come to a standstill. So you want to get as close in as you can afford

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Thanks for all the help/advice everyone. The more I look the further out of the beltway I move, lol. The move TO Germany was so much simpler with just the Frau, the MINI and me. Returning with the family and 3 cars (Yikes!!) is kicking my... backside :banghead:

Anyone live either out west (Manassas/Gainesville) or South (Woodbridge/Dumfires)? Houses for rent appear semi-within reach in those areas but it's hard to tell sometimes if that's because of distance or something else :frown:

Thx again :top:

Thanks for all the help/advice everyone. The more I look the further out of the beltway I move, lol. The move TO Germany was so much simpler with just the Frau, the MINI and me. Returning with the family and 3 cars (Yikes!!) is kicking my... backside :banghead:

Anyone live either out west (Manassas/Gainesville) or South (Woodbridge/Dumfires)? Houses for rent appear semi-within reach in those areas but it's hard to tell sometimes if that's because of distance or something else :frown:

Thx again :top:

Both of those areas are less expensive. I think Woodbridge would be an easier commute then Manassas

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'd have to pick MD (biannual emissions inspections, easy for OBD2) over VA (Annual safety inspections). Dunno about DC. And don't forget VA's double-taxing...

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

I was referring to the property tax on cars, among other things, in addition to the usual car fees.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

I was referring to the property tax on cars, among other things, in addition to the usual car fees.

Don't we just pay that when we buy them? Do you also pay it when you register a new car?

I did notice that this year the Fairfax county tax almost doubled :banghead:

Tggrrr010.jpg

Both of those areas are less expensive. I think Woodbridge would be an easier commute then Manassas

I live south, Burke. Shcools are a little better around here. At least around here you have a lot of choices going north. from Manasas you only have 66, which is always jammed no mater what day or hour of the week.

My wife uses the slug once in a while and you'd be surprised how effective and safe it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers