GreenCactus

16 Days...

IndiCooper said:
OMG I wasn't even thinking about it until you brought it up!!! Now I can't wait!!!!! Geeeze !:motor:

kgdblu said:
egad don't start now or else I'll start packing waaaaaay too early.!

Eh? Past thinking. Already planning, already put money down: http://dcmetrominis.org/forum/topic/1934-rebooking-next-year

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Laura needs that much lead time to figure out which shoes to take!

In Laura's defense, it was actually Will who spawned this Sub-Forum.:hahaha:Maybe Will is the one that needs all this time to plan his MOTD Mud-Truckers AKA Boots. :alberteinstein:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

In Laura's defense, it was actually Will who spawned this Sub-Forum.:hahaha:Maybe Will is the one that needs all this time to plan his MOTD Mud-Truckers AKA Boots. :alberteinstein:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Based on (theoretically) reserving the last room at Fontana, I'd say my planning is right on time.:rock:

Besides, as a MINI honeymooner (how long does this euphoria last? :dancing2:) and a Dragon-rookie (can I get a badge for that? :laugh:) wouldn't you rather I was over-prepared, and sooner than later (c'mon Merlin's Daddy, back me up. You also seem like the kind of guy that hates emergencies caused by piss-poor planning)? Once I can sport a MOTD-Veteran badge...I'll still plan this far in advance :biggrin:...just without public/forum announcement.

For the powers that be, can we get a sticky up top displaying this (a wee bit smaller though)?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Based on (theoretically) reserving the last room at Fontana, I'd say my planning is right on time.:rock:

Besides, as a MINI honeymooner (how long does this euphoria last? :dancing2:) and a Dragon-rookie (can I get a badge for that? :laugh:) wouldn't you rather I was over-prepared, and sooner than later (c'mon Merlin's Daddy, back me up. You also seem like the kind of guy that hates emergencies caused by piss-poor planning)? Once I can sport a MOTD-Veteran badge...I'll still plan this far in advance :biggrin:...just without public/forum announcement.

It doesn't go away. Ever. Ask Katie. She's been to all 10 MOTDs and she's just as excited as the rest of us. :top::stupid::biggrin::motor:

Over-prepared? Unless you take 1/2 of your house because you're afraid cabin = wilderness, you'll be fine. Trust me, you don't need the lantern. (a regular flashlight is a good idea though!) However, don't forget your bear bells!! :biggrin::wink:

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

your cell phone won't work either unless you stay in the lodge

Even then, it only works if you have Verizon, and I think only 5 people can use it at a time.

I thought I would really struggle with being that disconnected. I don't, at all. I think it's part of the reason I enjoy it so much. You really are in a different reality when you're there.

your cell phone won't work either unless you stay in the lodge

...and you're on Verizon. ...and you don't mind competing for the 2 or 3 working slots at any given time. (It's a microcell, hosted on their Internet connection... not a real cell tower)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

...and you're on Verizon. ...and you don't mind competing for the 2 or 3 working slots at any given time. (It's a microcell, hosted on their Internet connection... not a real cell tower)

That whole Verizon thing just means that once in a while it burps up some emails. Don't think about talking on it

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

All you Dragon Veterans out there.

My wife and I are doing the DC to Charlotte leg, Charlotte Motorspeedway to the Dragon and then head home. Since we won't get to the Dragon until mid-day and then take at least 2 runs (out and back) do you have any recommendations for a place to stay that night? :idea:

I know about Fontana Village but I was thinking maybe someplace part of the way home... maybe 100 miles north of the Dragon. Some place interesting or with something to do or see.

AAHGA (Any and All Help is Greatly Appreciated!)

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

My wife and I are doing the DC to Charlotte leg, Charlotte Motorspeedway to the Dragon and then head home. Since we won't get to the Dragon until mid-day and then take at least 2 runs (out and back) do you have any recommendations for a place to stay that night? :idea:

I know about Fontana Village but I was thinking maybe someplace part of the way home... maybe 100 miles north of the Dragon. Some place interesting or with something to do or see.

I'm not sure of the exact route you guys are taking, but if Asheville is convenient, it's a really fun little city with great restaurants and nice little B&Bs. Mark and I usually spend a night there on the way down to the Dragon.

It's a cool town

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm connected day & night when I'm here, but promise little-to-nothing when I'm on the road (what, you didn't miss my 101 posts while I was out west the last two weeks :wink:?) and I promise absolutely nothing when I'm on vacation.

When I relocated here 11 years ago I could make my annual pilgrimage back to CO and quietly hike above timberline as a cell signal was iffy at best. My cell always remained in the car at the trailhead. NOW you can get a signal too many places on the trails. Sooooo many people yakkin away and forgetting why the rest of us are out/up there.

I hiked Mt. Whitney a couple of years ago and fortunately no one could get a cell signal once . Taking an escape to the islands in August, I'll be off the grid then too. My boss is used to me being places with no connection when on vacation. The Dragon won't be any different (except that I'm running off to be with people as usually I'm going where few people tread :laugh:)

P.S. - Bears at Whitney too. Overnight at the trailhead you have to put food in Bear proof food lockers.

Bert - it really does depend upon the route you intend to take. A very viable option is to make your last run on the Dragon into TN and then head on North to I-40/I-81 to head east. Bristol TN/VA is about 100 miles from Knoxville and that puts you at about 360 miles from getting back to our stomping grounds up here.

Some folks don't like I-81 because it is a main route for big trucks but it's not that bad really and if you already out that way, it almost doesn't make any sense to head all the way out to the east to head up through Richmond and back into the D.C. area on a holiday weekend.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

If they're actually needed in Fontana, here's what we used on Whitney (as required by law):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=fsbdev3_003846

They're not. While there ARE bears around, this a joke that has gotten out of hand. I've decided just to run with it. :biggrin:

However, for the record, I'm no more afraid of bears than anyone else should be. :wink: