CarlB

Virginia State Inspection

I just moved to Virginia (Fairfax). Where do people get their cars inspected? My car is lowered and the headlight leveler is disconnected. I took it to the local gas station and told the guy the car was lowered. That caused him to think I was crazy. He drove it in the bay and put a head light machine on it. Then announced the lights were 13 inches too high. Drove the car out of the bay and did not even set the parking brake. If the lights were 13 inches too high I would be getting flashed. Help please.

I normally take my MINI to one of the local gas stations in my area. I am curious why the headlight leveler has been disconnected? I have lowered mine with springs and have not had as issues with the headlights or inspection.

2012 Jeep Rubicon

I'm with Brian and there are lots of us that have lowered MINIs and had no problems with the levelers. If you'd like to try another gas station, I don't think I'd mention that it's lowered or that the headlight levelers are disconnected.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thanks to all of you. I will try Passport. My car has different control arms for all four links. The headlight adjuster attaches to the upper link. I made a bracket to attach the headlight adjuster arm, but never got it adjusted correctly and it was making a noise. I have a very good but independent mechanic who didn’t like the noise and he disconnected it. The lights go to a neutral position when the sensor is disconnected. I haven’t had time to screw around with the linkage to get it working.

I'm about as low as anybody ('cept ricky. . .) and am running aftermarket control arms as well, I just used zip ties to attach the leveller to the arm, they've been working fine for the last 15k miles or so.

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good thing none of you live in maryland, they failed my STOCK car because the rotors were below their spec, NOT considering its a 2010 with less than 33k miles lol :banghead:

if you are going to try for MD inspection with mods or anything you might as well pay the 175 to pass inspection

Good thing none of you live in maryland, they failed my STOCK car because the rotors were below their spec, NOT considering its a 2010 with less than 33k miles lol :banghead:

if you are going to try for MD inspection with mods or anything you might as well pay the 175 to pass inspection

Maryland still has it lucky. You only have to pass inspection ONCE, unless the car is sold/transferred. In Virginia, you have to pass it every single year, plus emissions every 2 years.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

plus emissions every 2 years.

Not to highjack this thread but what are the rules for emissions testing up here..is it per county?? I know its not a whole state thing as no county in Central VA requires emissions.

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

Not to highjack this thread but what are the rules for emissions testing up here..is it per county?? I know its not a whole state thing as no county in Central VA requires emissions.
Good point, rural areas are exempt from emissions testing. In Virginia, vehicles must meet state emissions inspection requirements if they are garaged in one of these localities:

• Counties: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford

• Cities: Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, Manassas Park

Source: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Good point, rural areas are exempt from emissions testing. In Virginia, vehicles must meet state emissions inspection requirements if they are garaged in one of these localities:

• Counties: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford

• Cities: Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, Manassas Park

Source: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

WOOHOO!!!! Im in Clarke County...NO Testing For ME :tongue:

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

WOOHOO!!!! Im in Clarke County...NO Testing For ME :tongue:
No emissions testing for you, this is true. You still need to get your car past the annual safety inspection, though. :tongue: :laugh:

Maryland still has it lucky. You only have to pass inspection ONCE, unless the car is sold/transferred. In Virginia, you have to pass it every single year, plus emissions every 2 years.

That explains why I haven't had an emissions test in a while - I haven't held onto a car for 2 years :tongue:

That explains why I haven't had an emissions test in a while - I haven't held onto a car for 2 years :tongue:

Yep, inspected once in MD, unless sold again, but emissions every 2 years or so. No more dyno too, they just port in to data connector and run the program. It does speed things up a LOT.

VA and inspections... this is one of those things, plus person property tax, plus... that you have to add in when considering whether to live in VA or MD. Everyone always says that it is too expensive to live in MD over VA, add everything up and it is pretty close. Washingtonian does a comparison every year or so and it is pretty even. (Not to hijack the thread.)

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Yep, inspected once in MD, unless sold again, but emissions every 2 years or so. No more dyno too, they just port in to data connector and run the program. It does speed things up a LOT.
...unless you have a 1995 or older vehicle, which pre-dates OBD II. :smile:

(my 1995 Mustang GT still needs the treadmill for emissions testing)

When I lived in Illinois, they had the treadmill for emissions too. They did not secure my car properly and she "jumped" off. No damage was done, but it was really scary to watch. I was too upset to even yell at them.

DC does the OBDII scan for emisisons. They did away with the safety inspections a few years ago to cut back on costs.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Yes we have it lucky to keep our inspection, but its pulling teeth to get through the first time. Emmisions is another situation because i dont have to worry about that yet :rock:

When I lived in Illinois, they had the treadmill for emissions too. They did not secure my car properly and she "jumped" off. No damage was done, but it was really scary to watch. I was too upset to even yell at them.

DC does the OBDII scan for emisisons. They did away with the safety inspections a few years ago to cut back on costs.

That was stupid of DC to do so. Like you could be driving a death trap around the nations capitol, well with the streets in DC it will become one in time depending on your suspension.

OBD-II doesn't actually scan the emissions the way the chassis dyno did. The current method "trusts" the car to tell it how the emissions equipment thinks the car is doing. It's more of an equipment test and it can be fooled. The chassis dyno actually tested the content of the exhaust.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thank you for the help. I went to Passport yesterday and they were great. Off to DMV today. Hopefully I can prove I am an American citizen this time. My MD certificate of live birth was not good enough for them.

Thank you for the help. I went to Passport yesterday and they were great. Off to DMV today. Hopefully I can prove I am an American citizen this time. My MD certificate of live birth was not good enough for them.

Yay!!! I love Passport

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg