cmcveay

Dragon Safety - VERY IMPORTANT!

I'm reading on MA how veterans are stressing the importance of refilling your gas tank at the end of a run because with as many MINIs coming to MOTD and limited resources of gas, you might have to drive 45 minutes to get to a gas station.

Some people are suggesting have a small can of fuel on reserve, how do you all feel about that?

Signature.JPG

I'm reading on MA how veterans are stressing the importance of refilling your gas tank at the end of a run because with as many MINIs coming to MOTD and limited resources of gas, you might have to drive 45 minutes to get to a gas station.

Some people are suggesting have a small can of fuel on reserve, how do you all feel about that?

I saw that discussion too.

In my opinion, that's overkill. If you fill up everytime you go into one of the larger towns, you won't run out of gas. Worst case, you'd have to spend a few dollars extra on gas at Fontana to get you to Robbinsville. I'd rather pay a little extra than have the risks associated with carrying around a smelly gas can.

There is a gas station at Deals Gap, but as a courtesy, most car clubs don't fill up there. They leave that for the bikers. If you do have to get gas there, I believe they have an 8 gallon limit.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I don't want to carry a can of gas around. I know Barry is planning to notify the gas station at Fontana about the amount of cars coming so that hopefully they will prepare. I'm just going to get gas whenever I leave the resort if I need it or not

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Someone said on the MA fuel thread "If you're down to 1/2 tank, you're almost empty" or something like that.

I agree and if you're anywhere near a gas station and you're at half a tank or below, fill up.

I have never gotten gas at Deal's Gap...it was always my understanding that the gas there is for motorcycles only. If worse comes to worse, put a gallon in your car at Fontana (want to take bets that that gas is over $4.50/gallon?) and then go to Robbinsville to fill up...tho' I bet that gas isn't much cheaper there.

I wouldn't carry around a gas can...dangerous and stinky.

Just don't let him video you as the passenger :biggrin:

I make no claim to being skilled at reading lips, but after seeing that video I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you were swearing, I mean saying. LOL

Someone said on the MA fuel thread "If you're down to 1/2 tank, you're almost empty" or something like that.

I agree and if you're anywhere near a gas station and you're at half a tank or below, fill up.

I have never gotten gas at Deal's Gap...it was always my understanding that the gas there is for motorcycles only. If worse comes to worse, put a gallon in your car at Fontana (want to take bets that that gas is over $4.50/gallon?) and then go to Robbinsville to fill up...tho' I bet that gas isn't much cheaper there.

I wouldn't carry around a gas can...dangerous and stinky.

I just checked the Gas Buddy app - It looks like gas is around $4/gallon in/near Robbinsville.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I'm not able to attend MOTD this year but I am reading all the posts and taking it in for when I am able to participate. This is all excellent advice! You people are a great crew and mentors.

I hope you can make it next year Bert! Earnie would love it

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Considering I needed to be rescued at the Spring Fling for not knowing who to properly check my oil, I think this is good information to share.

(I pulled this off of MA). http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/minis-dragon-10-may-2-6-2012-tn-nc/13037-pre-motd-mini-prep-checklist.html

Time for the annual occurrence of this checklist.

 Oil – Close to 5K mark on current Oil? Go for an early change.

 Under Bonnet Check –Look for leaks, broken/worn engine mounts, worn plug wires

 Gearbox Oil – If near 2 years or 50K miles - Change

 Brakes – Check Rotors and Pads – Have at least 50% left

 Brake Fluid – If near 1 year or 25K miles – Change

 Coolant – MINI recommends every 4 years from build date for a change, every 2 years would not hurt.

 Tires – Tread level should be at least ½, check for uneven wear

 Wheels – Check Torque on lugs 83ft/lb 1st gen, 102ft/lb 2nd gen – Check often on site. See Chad at Detroit Tuned tent to use his torque wrench.

 Wipers – Replace blades if older – It could be quite wet at MOTD

 Lights – Check all lights to verify operation

 Battery – good condition, make sure is securely fastened

 Suspension – Check all bushings for wear, replace as needed

 Steering – Check for wear – replace anything questionable

 Exhaust – Secure with no leaks, check mounts

 Wheel Bearings – Check for excessive play

Running The Dragon even at the posted limit taxes all the systems on our MINIs. 311 Turns in rapid succession will find the weaknesses if not attended to ahead of time. Please be sure to check you braking system well.

Check list compiled with the assistance of Chad from Detroit Tuned.

I'd add fuses! Nothing worse than driving 9 hours without a car charger or radio! Arghhh! :banghead:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL"