wahoo_shoe

DIY car washes

Hey guys

With the economy around here on a roller coaster, it seems car washes keep dying and being birthed. Anyone know of a decent DIY wash? I live in Arlington but commute out to the Herndon area sometimes, so somewhere in there would be ideal.

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

I'll bump this. . I live in Rosslyn and would like to find a DIY style carwash. I've been a couple touchless washes but would really rather have a wand where I can spend the extra time on the bits that really need it.

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure about that area. With my soft top I just caved and bought the car wash stuff I needed and started doing it myself.

Are you in an Apartment area that has a car wash spot?

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

The best I have found is the Exxon near my house has a high pressure hose that you can rent. I can do both MINIs if I work fast in the 10 minutes for $6. The biggest issue, is that it's really popular and can get a big line of people. Some people will finish with the hose and not move their car to finish it. The space is really tight.

It's the only one I've found. They're on the Alexandria/ Annandale line at the corner of Braddock and Little River Tpk

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Hey guys

With the economy around here on a roller coaster, it seems car washes keep dying and being birthed. Anyone know of a decent DIY wash? I live in Arlington but commute out to the Herndon area sometimes, so somewhere in there would be ideal.

There is a 6 stall one at the Citgo at Fairfax Circle, right next to the Arthur Treachers. I like it because there is also an Advanced Auto Parts right across the street, so it's east to stock up on supplies then, and there.

Normally is about $5.50 in quarters to accomplish all that needs to be done.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

There is a 6 stall one at the Citgo at Fairfax Circle, right next to the Arthur Treachers. I like it because there is also an Advanced Auto Parts right across the street, so it's east to stock up on supplies then, and there.

Did you say Arthur Treachers, the chip shop? :top: DCMM needs to go there sometime, doesn't get more British than Fish n' Chips! :rock:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Did you say Arthur Treachers, the chip shop? :top: DCMM needs to go there sometime, doesn't get more British than Fish n' Chips! :rock:

LOL, I did! The ONLY one I have ever seen besides this one, was when I flew into Norfolk ITL.

Being a Brit, I LOVE me a good chippy, and though A.T. sin't quite the local, it's mediocre in a pinch(Much prefer the Auld Shebeen, though Irish).

I have had dreams of starting a lunch truck, calling it Union Jons and doing proper fish n chips, Pork pies, Pasties, Bakewell Tarts, a decent curry and some specials.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Where's Fairfax circle?

This sounds like a perfect place!!!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

The Henderson Hall car wash is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week year ’round. The car wash has two bays—one covered, open bay and one uncovered, open bay with steps to reach the tops of SUVs, vans and trucks. It’s easy and convenient to use, with tire cleaner, presoak, foam brush, spot-free rinse and more. The carwash is coin-operated and takes quarters only. MCCS provides a machine to conveniently change bills to quarters at the rear of the carwash. Quarters can be deposited to add extra time any time before the five minutes are up. The carwash has three vacuum cleaners that cost 75¢ for the first five minutes and several vending machines with assorted cleaning accessories—towels, air fresheners, Armor All® and more—priced at $1.

Wash: $1.50 (first 5 min.)

Vacuums: 75¢ (first 5 min.)

Across the street from the Pool and next to Marine Family Services

http://www.mccshh.com/CarWash.html

Attached is a photo of Lola enjoying the colorful foam at this DIY carwash over the summer.

59cedb6372077_Lolacarwash.jpg.844f8d591c2a13e1f8b385450c4ad7e8.jpg

59cedb6372077_Lolacarwash.jpg.844f8d591c2a13e1f8b385450c4ad7e8.jpg

Edited by Poison Ivy
add photo

Signature.JPG

If you are out visiting MINI of MoCo way there are two Flagship Car Washes (http://www.flagshipcarwash.com/) with 6 to 8 bays for self washing (open 24/7), with multiple setting pressure wands, industrial vacuums, and other things at each bay (besides the normal car wash building). They are set up pretty well with the vacuums outside (before) each wash bay to give you something to do if the bay is being used, then large wash bays, and enough pull-off slots outside each bay to let you chami and/or dry your Mini.

One (North Bethesda) is about a mile south of the MINI dealership just off Rockville Pike (355), behind the Bagel City on the east side of the Pike. The other (Rockville) is about a mile or two north of the dealership, just north of the Rockville Towne Center, also on the east side of the Pike just past the Giant, turn at the light at the Seven-Eleven. You need to use the token machine to exchange cash for tokens but you can get a good deal if you time the cycles right. All the bays at both locations have the multi-function power wand, a powered wheel and tire brush, and then a powered soap brush (I don't like using the soap brush since I think it has a lot of grit stuck in-between the bristles). I usually use the soap functions on the power wand instead of the soap brush. I have seen enough people bring their own bucket and sponge instead of using the soap brush.

I just used the North Bethesda location yesterday to power wash my Jeep Cherokee ("Jake") before my daughter takes it back to college. I have never had to wait for longer than one person in front of me to finish.

As for Arthur Treachers... there is still one in DC on Florida Avenue, NW but the Fairfax Circle one does sound good with the Citgo wash and Advance Auto close by. I'm always one for combining trips.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Not a DIY, but if you're a fan of Mr. Car Wash's brushless wash, LivingSocial is offering their Super Wash for $10.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/403854?ref=conf-jp&rpi=72196560

Included in your Super Wash is:

-a brushless, soft cloth wash

-an interior vacuuming

-complete window washing (inside and out)

-undercarriage wash

-a hand dry

-3-color clear coat treatment

-clear coat protectant

-wheel cleaner

-the warm and tingly feeling of knowing that you're giving back to your 'hood while also cleaning your hood

Signature.JPG

Hey guys

Melissa,

You mentioned that you drive out to Herndon sometimes.

I just found out that the Flagship car wash chain has a place in Herndon, just off Elden St., and they have 24 hr. self-service bays. I have used Flagship for years and you can easily give your MINI a bath for around $4 using the wand. I'm going to drive by today or tomorrow to check it out.

http://www.flagshipcarwash.com/category/7552/virginia.htm

Melissa,

You mentioned that you drive out to Herndon sometimes.

I just found out that the Flagship car wash chain has a place in Herndon, just off Elden St., and they have 24 hr. self-service bays. I have used Flagship for years and you can easily give your MINI a bath for around $4 using the wand. I'm going to drive by today or tomorrow to check it out.

http://www.flagshipcarwash.com/category/7552/virginia.htm

I drove by the Flagship car wash in Herndon, I even spoke with a worker. They do NOT have a self service option, even though their web site states that they do. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up. The old bait and switch.

Bummer ... was gettin' all excited about going there, since I work in Herndon. I've been using a DIY wash on Branch Ave (Sam's) over the years, which is pretty good, but am looking 4 one w/the colorful foam that Lola got! :embarassed:

I drove by the Flagship car wash in Herndon, I even spoke with a worker. They do NOT have a self service option, even though their web site states that they do. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up. The old bait and switch.

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

I have had dreams of starting a lunch truck, calling it Union Jons and doing proper fish n chips, Pork pies, Pasties, Bakewell Tarts, a decent curry and some specials.

I love fish n chips and pasties -- if you add haggis to that menu, I'd be a regular if I was in the area....

:rofl:

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI

Decided to spend a great amount of my Wed. washing my car thoroughly!

What was done:

-Car wash

-Clay bar the whole car

-Wash again! :idea:

-Remove wheels and clean

-Wax

-Black Wow applied to all exterior plastics

-RainX rain repellent all exterior glass

and...(drum roll please)

DIY wheel caps, for all that don't know it's OBEY.

f4d069cf.jpg

ac79b845.jpg

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!

:congrats::congrats:

We need another meet, so I can show it off. :motor:

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!