carman63

Water Pump Recall Coming

Mods - please move if this is the wrong area :)

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/01/15/mini-usa-announces-water-pump-recall-affecting-79000/#disqus_thread

Copied/pasted from the article:

The Issue

The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on models that are equipped with the N14 turbo engine. The auxiliary pump is controlled electronically by an engine control unit. After switching off the engine, the electric auxiliary water pump conducts heat away from the turbocharger.

Under certain conditions, the pump’s electronic circuit board can malfunction. The malfunction can occur as a result of certain design features in combination with high operating temperatures.

If the water pump can fails, there’s a slight chance that the circuit board can overheat. And in an extreme case, overheating of the circuit board can lead to smoldering of the water pump. If smoldering occurs, this may also lead to an engine compartment or vehicle fire.

Models Affected

Here’s the full list of Cooper S models affected:

2007-11 / Cooper S (Dec 2006 – Oct 2010)

2008-11 / Cooper S Clubman (Dec 2007 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / Cooper S Convertible (Dec 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) (Jun 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) Clubman (Jun 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) Convertible (Apr 2009 – Oct 2010)

2011 / Cooper S Countryman (Nov 2010 – Jan 2011)

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep this in the "Important File"

:pcguru: :hmmmm: :deal:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

full text of recall from recent NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/latestRecalls.cfm

Vehicle Make / Model:

Model Year(s):

MINI / COOPER S

2007-2011

MINI / COOPER S CLUBMAN

2008-2011

MINI / COOPER S CONVERTIBLE

2009-2011

MINI / COOPER S COUNTRYMAN

MINI / JCW

2009-2011

MINI / JCW CLUBMAN

MINI / JCW CONVERTIBLE

2010-2011

• Manufacturer:

BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

• Mfr's Report Date:

JAN 10, 2012

• NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:

12V008000

• PE11036
    NHTSA Action Number:

PE11036

• Component:

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

• Potential Number of Units Affected:

• Summary:

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007-2011 MINI COOPER S, 2008-2011 MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 COOPER JCW CONVERTIBLE, AND 2011 COOPER S COUNTRYMAN PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 14, 2006, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2011. THE ELECTRIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP THAT COOLS THE TURBOCHARGER HAS AN ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CAN MALFUNCTION AND OVERHEAT.

• Consequence:

THE CIRCUIT BOARD MAY SMOLDER WHICH COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

• Remedy:

BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WATER PUMP FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-866-275-6464.

• Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

PDF of Full text of recall from BMW: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=12V008&docType=RCL http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=12V008&docType=RCL

That's not a dumb question!

Looks like the safety recall will begin in February and dealerships are currently in the process of replacing the affected parts in the cars that are currently in inventory. I would give them until the first week of February or so and then contact your favorite SA to see what the schedule looks like. Alternatively, we'll be at a dealership on Saturday or the M&G so maybe we can get an SA or someone with first hand knowledge to come meet the group and give us an idea of the game plan!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Good call. I might not make it to the M&G at PMOA since I'm in Biology until at least 1pm (class is scheduled through 1:40, but he plans to let us out by 1pm whenever possible). If you're all up for lunch or hanging out after (like last time), I'll join you and you can fill me in.

Signature.JPG

I can remember that after I shut off the car and popped the bonnet, I could hear liquid circulating in the area on the driver side of the turbo, have not heard this in a while! :banghead:

Guess I need to contact MINI of Baltimore about the recall and not wait for them to release recall, which by then may be too late! :headshot:

Mods - please move if this is the wrong area :)

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/01/15/mini-usa-announces-water-pump-recall-affecting-79000/#disqus_thread

Copied/pasted from the article:

The Issue

The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on models that are equipped with the N14 turbo engine. The auxiliary pump is controlled electronically by an engine control unit. After switching off the engine, the electric auxiliary water pump conducts heat away from the turbocharger.

Under certain conditions, the pump’s electronic circuit board can malfunction. The malfunction can occur as a result of certain design features in combination with high operating temperatures.

If the water pump can fails, there’s a slight chance that the circuit board can overheat. And in an extreme case, overheating of the circuit board can lead to smoldering of the water pump. If smoldering occurs, this may also lead to an engine compartment or vehicle fire.

Models Affected

Here’s the full list of Cooper S models affected:

2007-11 / Cooper S (Dec 2006 – Oct 2010)

2008-11 / Cooper S Clubman (Dec 2007 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / Cooper S Convertible (Dec 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) (Jun 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) Clubman (Jun 2008 – Oct 2010)

2009-11 / John Cooper Works (JCW) Convertible (Apr 2009 – Oct 2010)

2011 / Cooper S Countryman (Nov 2010 – Jan 2011)

From what I've been told at work, you have to wait to get your recall paper in the mail before you can make your appointment to get it fixed, notices should start to be mailed out in feb. this way the dealerships dont get bombarded with people and they can have the right amount of parts on hand to get things fixed in a timely manner

so we all just have to be wait it out and hope nothing goes up in flame! :dong:

I think people tend to overreact to news like this. While it is obviously a real issue and should be addressed, bear in mind that some of these affected MINIs have been on the road for up to 5 1/2 years without burning up (i.e. 2007 models). The chances of your MINI catching on fire between now and the next couple of months are extremely small.

It also helps to know that although there have been a small number of fires (relative to the number of affected MINIs out there), nobody has died or become injured from this issue.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

full text of recall from recent NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/latestRecalls.cfm

Vehicle Make / Model:

Model Year(s):

MINI / COOPER S

2007-2011

MINI / COOPER S CLUBMAN

2008-2011

MINI / COOPER S CONVERTIBLE

2009-2011

MINI / COOPER S COUNTRYMAN

MINI / JCW

2009-2011

MINI / JCW CLUBMAN

MINI / JCW CONVERTIBLE

2010-2011

• Manufacturer:

BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

• Mfr's Report Date:

JAN 10, 2012

• NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:

12V008000

• PE11036

NHTSA Action Number:

PE11036

• Component:

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

• Potential Number of Units Affected:

• Summary:

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007-2011 MINI COOPER S, 2008-2011 MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 COOPER JCW CONVERTIBLE, AND 2011 COOPER S COUNTRYMAN PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 14, 2006, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2011. THE ELECTRIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP THAT COOLS THE TURBOCHARGER HAS AN ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CAN MALFUNCTION AND OVERHEAT.

• Consequence:

THE CIRCUIT BOARD MAY SMOLDER WHICH COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

• Remedy:

BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WATER PUMP FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-866-275-6464.

• Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

PDF of Full text of recall from BMW: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=12V008&docType=RCL http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/documentList.xhtml?docId=12V008&docType=RCL

It's not clear to me if the 2011 Countryman s All4 is included in this recall. Have looked at the Safercar web site, but that did not answer my question. Any thoughts? Or do I just wait to hear?? :questionmark:

It's not clear to me if the 2011 Countryman s All4 is included in this recall. Have looked at the Safercar web site, but that did not answer my question. Any thoughts? Or do I just wait to hear?? :questionmark:
If it was manufactured on or before January 18, 2011, then yes, it's included. The Countryman S All4 is still a 2nd Gen S with the same engine as the others.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Members - check the Clubhouse forum please. :smile:

HELP!!! So i did take my car in to Mini of Montgomery back in March i think for the water pump recall. They replaced the water pump and timing belt/chain per the recall, no charge. However, lately i have noticed that its been taking quite some time for the heat to come on. And now no heat coming from the vents when i turn the heat on and have driven a bit. So i took the car to Mini of Mont. Then have told me the "aux pump" is damaged or maybe he said cracked, leaked half of my coolant out and that needs to be flushed an refilled, and my serpentine belt needs replacing because of all this. So has there been a "water pump AND an "aux water pump" recall? Could the two be related in my circumstance? Please help, i have till monday before xmas to tell them to fix or not. I also cannot confirm the warranty details.

Evan

Drivin like a Bulldog on Coffee

thanks for all the help. Maybe Mini will give me a belated Xmas gift and cover all or part of my main water pump replacement. No warning lights on coolant, no warning lights on anything. So my theory is that this may have been a problem 1 1/2 months ago when i was within warranty but since i really did not use or need the heat much back then till now, i did not know there was a problem. Cause if i did know then it would have been covered by warranty.

Drivin like a Bulldog on Coffee

You could also swing the "when you replaced my Aux, something went wrong in my Main". When they did the work on mine, they cautioned me to watch my warning lights to make sure everything was working correctly. They replace a motherboard-type part and that can go screwy.

The technicians at MINI of Sterling are super friendly, you just need to squeeze your way into talking with them

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

You could also swing the "when you replaced my Aux, something went wrong in my Main". When they did the work on mine, they cautioned me to watch my warning lights to make sure everything was working correctly. They replace a motherboard-type part and that can go screwy.

The technicians at MINI of Sterling are super friendly, you just need to squeeze your way into talking with them

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe