GreenCactus

Annual Post-Holiday Party at The Black Squirrel

DC Metro MINIs Annual Post-Holiday Party

at

The Black Squirrel

2427 18th St NW

Washington DC 20009

We will have the entire upstairs bar reserved just for us!

The full menu will be available to order from.

http://www.blacksquirreldc.com/

Sunday, January 29th at 5:00pm

There will be a gift exchange. Please bring a gift in the $20-25 range if you wish to participate.

Even though this is a bar, it is ok if you are under 21 or bring kids. They just can't drink. :wink:

Parking: There is a garage less than a block away that is about $15. There is also street parking, but it might be pretty tough. I would recommend car pooling, if possible.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Cool! I wanna see the G-Men knock the Packers out of the running. Then, the Saint's can beat the other Manning brother to get to the Superbowl again! :)

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I hope we get a larger turnout than what we have now....maybe it isn't just the distance to my house after all..:tongue:

:biggrin: Cute but yeah, hope there is a larger turnout.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I learned to drive stick in DC (Anacostia to be precise), I routinely work and drive in DC, and I despise dealing with Adams Morgan, and I'm probably not going to drive my MINI as I don't want it to get banged up down there, I'll take the 4Runner if I end up driving. DC is hit or miss with people, its theoretically central but if parking isn't easy or people decide they're scared (I'm the only one of my grew up in NOVA group that will drive into DC the rest are petrified even to drive to the Smithsonian after hours). AM is fun (its the new Georgetown I believe) but you have to convince the suburbians to head in. (The ones who have a really hard time in the older parts of Arlington/Alexandria as the streets aren't wide and gridded, and 4 way stops baffle them. The fiancee and I have been horrified and amused at the confusion at 4 way stops in outer fairfax and woodbridge these days, as going through DC they're really fast and everyone just goes, no hesitating!)

-l.

I learned to drive stick in DC (Anacostia to be precise), I routinely work and drive in DC, and I despise dealing with Adams Morgan, and I'm probably not going to drive my MINI as I don't want it to get banged up down there, I'll take the 4Runner if I end up driving. DC is hit or miss with people, its theoretically central but if parking isn't easy or people decide they're scared (I'm the only one of my grew up in NOVA group that will drive into DC the rest are petrified even to drive to the Smithsonian after hours). AM is fun (its the new Georgetown I believe) but you have to convince the suburbians to head in. (The ones who have a really hard time in the older parts of Arlington/Alexandria as the streets aren't wide and gridded, and 4 way stops baffle them. The fiancee and I have been horrified and amused at the confusion at 4 way stops in outer fairfax and woodbridge these days, as going through DC they're really fast and everyone just goes, no hesitating!)
Laura - I learned to drive in DC myself (also stick), many years ago. I hear what you are saying about Adam's Morgan - parking in that area can be a nightmare, both in terms of availability (especially on weekend nights!) and in terms of dents and general carelessness.

However, in this case, those problems are mitigated by two factors:

1. The event is on a Sunday evening, not a Friday or Saturday night

2. The parking garage is available (I certainly plan on using it!)

If a bunch of us use the parking garage, we'll likely end up parking next to one another, which often happens at these types of events. Safety in numbers! Who can you trust to not dent your MINI but a fellow MINI owner?

As for your friends who are "afraid" to drive in DC, it's largely irrational, and you know that. :smile: The solution to overcome that fear is to actually do it. Yes, parts of DC are "bad" in terms of the crime rate... but we don't have events in those areas. I too have had friends with the same fear, and I just tell them to "man up" and that it's really not the post-apocalyptic anarchy they seem to imagine. Incidentally, I also have other friends with a similarly irrational fear of driving outside their state... in other words, Marylanders who don't want to go into Virginia, and Virginians who don't want to go into Maryland. It's just a river, people! :stupid:

Navigation systems have largely solved the "I don't know where I'm going and don't want to get lost in an area I don't know" issue.

The bottom line is this - we are DC Metro MINIs, and we should definitely be including DC proper in our coverage area. I'm actually kinda happy that we're having an official DCMM event hosted entirely in DC for a change. :biggrin: I hope that you and your fiancé can still make it!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I just checked the NFL Playoff schedule. The Pro-Bowl is on 1/29 at Noon. So there will be no football at the holiday party. At least not live. :biggrin:

GreenCactus, you're right. My mind was thinking about that game when I saw your post and for some reason got my weekends mixed up...

Sorry:banghead:

-l.

We also have events all over and this is the first DC centered event that we've had in some time.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

but when as a whole we're looking at factors going into attendence I was trying to point out what happens when you put things into DC or parts of DC. This comes from years of my trying to organize stuff at friends houses in Capitol Hill. I do a lot of analysis for a living and i think I may have geeked out too much.

Another good place to do in DC that has good parking and awesome food and is really trying to help the local area is Rays East River (Its Rays the Steaks with smaller portions at a fraction of the original price with the same quality meat, just in a less awesome neighborhood.) The restaurant staff has pretty much stayed with the place since it has opened, its provided a bunch of jobs to the local area, has helped bring other business to the area, and the food is phenomenal. The restaurant's parking is under survelliance but we normally park in the grocery store across the street. Plus they have an expanded menu of non-steaky southern food at a way lower price.

-l.

Another good place to do in DC that has good parking and awesome food and is really trying to help the local area is Rays East River (Its Rays the Steaks with smaller portions at a fraction of the original price with the same quality meat, just in a less awesome neighborhood.) The restaurant staff has pretty much stayed with the place since it has opened, its provided a bunch of jobs to the local area, has helped bring other business to the area, and the food is phenomenal. The restaurant's parking is under survelliance but we normally park in the grocery store across the street. Plus they have an expanded menu of non-steaky southern food at a way lower price.
Thanks for the suggestion, Laura - that might be a good place to check out for a future event, like one of our monthly club dinners (or lunches). :smile:

I've been to Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington (my take - good but not quite worth the level of fuss over it... I lean towards Five Guys), but I've never been to a Ray's The Steaks.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

the steaks is way better than the burgers. I don't like teh burgers but I'll be nice to darn near anyone for almost any period of time for the promise of a Rays The Steaks Fillet. So amazing, so tasty. Their Mac and Cheese is fantastic, Elie makes himself sick on it. Do East River though as otherwise its really hard to get in and you'll pay about half for a larger than half sized portion (although for a big monster steak Rays The Steaks in Arlington is just so so so, yum) ok, I've hijacked the thread dreaming of steak, its a sad sad world.