astarte

About to buy a MINI Coupe - love advice!

I think I saw some of your cars on Saturday at Mini of Alexandria (I was the dazed and excited blonde running around in jeans and a orange jacket who eventually got into the Subaru Legacy) Anyways, I'm about to order a Mini Coupe-s 2012 and I'm debating features on it. I know I want the upgraded seats and the dimming mirrors (I wish it came in a hardtop convertible but they're only going to make it in a ragtop starting next year...) So now I'm looking at the creature comforts. Dear fiancee is telling me to go down a wheel size from the 17" to the 16" for comfort while the guys at work are telling me to stick with the 17" wheels for additional safety, same deal with the sport suspension and the xenon headlamps. The interior that I saw at the dealership looked good, but I'm not sure if I'm going to cry when i see something better than I couldn't visualize (I like the blue with the black and stripes) and I'm thinking on the AC and the radio packages (the sales guy seemed to think that the AC auto pkg wasn't that great and that I'd be happy with the manual standard stuff but I hate it when I get rental cars--never comfy!) Also, if you have that dark blue Mini in Alexandria, you may find me stalking your car to get a photo of it, because I like your stripes, so please don't hurt me!

-l.

Welcome to the wonderful world of MINIs, I doubt any MINIac will mind if they catch you admiring or taking pictures of their beloved car. :biggrin:

I LOVE the coupe, it will be exciting to have one in the club to drool over. You might want to wax it well since we'll all be drooling over it.

I would say keep the 17" wheels, they look better for one thing. I'll let the motor geeks tell you all the other reasons. You also may want to ask about the All season tires, if you don't, they'll come with summer performance run flats that will not handle in the snow at all. I learned that lesson the hard, slipping and sliding way.

You want Xenon headlights because they are just that much better as far as being able to see at night. Another club member was telling me about getting a loaner that didn't have Xenon's and he really appreciated his xenon's when he got back in his own car.

The sport suspension will probably depend on how you're planning to drive. You'll want a stiffer suspension if you think you're going to want to have some fun on the turns.

I personally wouldn't want to live without my precious seat warmers either.

There is a lot you can do after market, as far as aesthetics. So things like vinyl can come later after you have bonded and know your cars personality.

Are you looking at the Lightening Blue?

Welcome to the club

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Auto A/C. Set a temperature, then forget it. No need to keep futzing around with the controls to get the temperature you want. Same goes for auto wipers and auto headlights - all very nice features! :biggrin:

16" wheels will definitely give you a softer ride, but they don't look as nice (IMO) and the tires will "roll" more as the sidewall is taller. I guess you have to decide for yourself what's more important - softer ride (also cheaper tires), or more sporty look and feel but harsher ride? Ali (TGGRRR) is absolutely right about paying attention to the type of tires that are chosen. If you don't want to run separate "summer" and "winter" sets of tires like some of us do (I do!), then you will want to ensure they specify the all-season tires.

As for visualizing the interiors - have you played around with the online configurator at the MINIUSA website? It will show you what the interior would look like as you play around with different combinations.

Oh, and welcome! We hope you'll consider joining us as a full member once your new MINI arrives! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Picking options is fun! :top:

I'd point out that 17" tires means less rubber and will lead to a more harsh ride than 16" tires would. I love the 17" wheels, but didn't want any harsher ride than I already have. Ditto for sport suspension. My ride in 2007 is harsh enough even with 16" and non-sport suspension. However if you've already test driven with 17" and 16" with and without sport suspension and you like it anyway, more power to you! :rock:

Seat heaters are a must! :rock:

I wouldn't get Xenox headlights though--like others said, they are BRIGHT. So bright that you might not be able to see what's just outside the headlight's cone, because the contrast is so sharp. Also you'd have to remember not to flash hi-beam except when necessary, as it can burn out Xenox lightbulb more quickly, I believe. Also even though the headlights are supposed to be self-leveled, I find them too bright when I have to drive oppose them (yes, I do turn away from looking at the light, but still....) Just my opinion.

Have fun!! :top:

I dont know how much you like music, but I don't know how I would get by without my Harmon Kardon stereo system. I had to take my mini to the dealership to get some work done. The gave me a loaner, and it didn't have the upgraded stereo system. What I dissapointment. That and the fact it wasn't a "S" and it was an automatic, but I would highly recommend the upgraded stereo. Even if you don't like your music loud, it just sounds so much better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

D.B.'s Facebook Page - facebook.com/DBMiniCooper

I wouldn't get Xenox headlights though--like others said, they are BRIGHT. So bright that you might not be able to see what's just outside the headlight's cone, because the contrast is so sharp. Also you'd have to remember not to flash hi-beam except when necessary, as it can burn out Xenox lightbulb more quickly, I believe. Also even though the headlights are supposed to be self-leveled, I find them too bright when I have to drive oppose them (yes, I do turn away from looking at the light, but still....) Just my opinion.
I respectfully disagree - I think the Xenon headlights are fantastic at night - the best headlights I've ever driven with. Yes, they are very bright, but the reason that is allowed is precisely because of the sharp cutoff that they allow. The regular Halogen lights have a wider/more diffuse light beam, which is why they can't be as bright (more of the light travels into the eyes of other drivers, both oncoming and in front of you (via mirror). Most of the really "annoying" bright headlights I see on other cars are either misaligned or just because someone slapped "blue bulbs" into regular headlights because they thought it looked cool. In either case, they generally wouldn't pass the Virginia annual inspection that way. Just a different opinion on the Xenons. :biggrin:
I dont know how much you like music, but I don't know how I would get by without my Harmon Kardon stereo system. I had to take my mini to the dealership to get some work done. The gave me a loaner, and it didn't have the upgraded stereo system. What I dissapointment. That and the fact it wasn't a "S" and it was an automatic, but I would highly recommend the upgraded stereo. Even if you don't like your music loud, it just sounds so much better.
I second this... and I should have mentioned it in my previous post. The Harman Kardon stereo option in 2nd Gen MINIs is really, really good - light years beyond the base and "Hi-Fi" stereo options. It's a totally different (superior) animal than the Harman Kardon option from 1st Gen MINIs, because it was redesigned/remodeled after the rare "Digital POWER SoundModul" option for 1st Gens, which itself was designed by a German custom audio house especially for MINI.

If you love music, make darn sure to check the box for the H/K stereo. :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

I second this... and I should have mentioned it in my previous post. The Harman Kardon stereo option in 2nd Gen MINIs is really, really good - light years beyond the base and "Hi-Fi" stereo options. It's a totally different (superior) animal than the Harman Kardon option from 1st Gen MINIs, because it was redesigned/remodeled after the rare "Digital POWER SoundModul" option for 1st Gens, which itself was designed by a German custom audio house especially for MINI.

If you love music, make darn sure to check the box for the H/K stereo. :biggrin:

I have the base unit in my R56 and it is crap (the 14 year old unit in my other car is far superior). Would highly recommend getting the upgrade if you plan to listen to anything on a regular basis.

Fortunately, the factory intake, BOV and exhaust on my JCW is all the audio I need day-to-day. :rock:

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

I respectfully disagree - I think the Xenon headlights are fantastic at night - the best headlights I've ever driven with. Yes, they are very bright, but the reason that is allowed is precisely because of the sharp cutoff that they allow. The regular Halogen lights have a wider/more diffuse light beam, which is why they can't be as bright (more of the light travels into the eyes of other drivers, both oncoming and in front of you (via mirror). Most of the really "annoying" bright headlights I see on other cars are either misaligned or just because someone slapped "blue bulbs" into regular headlights because they thought it looked cool. In either case, they generally wouldn't pass the Virginia annual inspection that way. Just a different opinion on the Xenons. :biggrin:

And I cheerfully and respectfully disagree with you, my friend. I do admit that they're very bright and very useful and I've thought of getting it in my new car. However the sharp cut-off is what concerns me, as I wouldn't be able to see what's just off the side of the road. Let me give you a bit of background. I'm an amateur astronomer so I often drive down backcountry roads with no street lights, and where I drive, deers abound and can bound into the road without looking both way (apparently their parents don't teach them that...:rofl: ) So that plus not wanting to PO my fellow astronomers when I come or leave is why I stick with the normal headlights.

Unless of course I'm possibly wrong in that the headlights don't give enough "side" light to see what might be just off the road?? I'm willing to reconsider if I can be sure that I'd be able to see just off the road (besides the cone of headlights).

I concur with H/K Stereo. :top:

My turn :biggrin:, rather than quoting the previous responses, I'll just hit the items as I go along...

1. Ride Comfort vs. Performance Handling - If you are concerned about this and want to be thorough, you'd need to test the following four combinations:

a. no Sport-Suspension with 16" wheels

b no Sport-Suspension with 17" wheels

c. Sport Suspension with 16" wheels

d. Sport Suspension with 17" wheels

This is really a personal preference based on your driving style and what look you're going for. The MINI handles very well regardless and includes anti-lock brakes and traction control, and you can add the option for DSC (stability control) all of which work very well keeping you safe. Also, the difference in tire that Ali mentioned might have some affect as well since the All-season tire might be (ever-so)slightly softer than the Summer performance tire. In the end, make sure you are buying what YOU want and not what your family/friends/co-workers are telling you to buy!

2. YES to Xenon headlights!!

3. YES to auto-A/C

4. Stereo system - If you enjoy jamming to your tunes, the base unit might not be good enough, so you'll want to upgrade to the H/K option. The most important thing to remember here is that the MINI cannot be upgraded to a standard after-market system like so many cars of past, while it is possible to upgrade the speakers, it is a big job - it is really better just to go factory upgrade (Harmon-Kardon) and not have to worry about it later.

5. YES to heated seats!!

6. Also, like Edge mentioned, if you haven't used the Configuration Tool on miniusa.com, you absolutely should! Not to say that you can't have full confidence in the dealership, but by configuring your own and printing the brochure with pictures and line by line option listings, you can insure that you will be getting the MINI that is right for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Also if you're a fan of Sirius, get it installed factory. It's very expensive to upgrade. Or you get stuck with that little adapter and there's no good place to put it.

I will say DSC, once saved me from an accident when I over corrected my lane change on the beltway. It was like the car literally took over and put me straight in my lane. Love that feature.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Also if you're a fan of Sirius, get it installed factory. It's very expensive to upgrade. Or you get stuck with that little adapter and there's no good place to put it.

I will say DSC, once saved me from an accident when I over corrected my lane change on the beltway. It was like the car literally took over and put me straight in my lane. Love that feature.

Ali

That's why it stands for "Damn Straight Control" :laugh::rofl:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

Oh how you crack yourself up :biggrin:

:egg:

YES........ :embarassed:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

The MINI handles very well regardless and includes anti-lock brakes and traction control, and you can add the option for DSC (stability control) all of which work very well keeping you safe.

Ahem - DSC is standard nowadays, folks. :biggrin:

Ahem - DSC is standard nowadays, folks. :biggrin:

Not current on the 2011/2012 models but she might have meant DTC (dynamic traction control), which is (was?) the optional intermediate setting allowing a bit more yaw/fun over the standard stability control program.

My '09 defaults to stability control full-on, press and hold for DTC, press and hold again for all assists off but the e-diff lock.

Edited by Yarsay
She... sorry Ali

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

Not current on the 2011/2012 models but she might have meant DTC (dynamic traction control), which is (was?) the optional intermediate setting allowing a bit more yaw/fun over the standard stability control program.

My '09 defaults to stability control full-on, press and hold for DTC, press and hold again for all assists off but the e-diff lock.

Nice try to cover, but no, she (and Alan/Scavenger) meant DSC. They (and I!) have 1st Gen MINIs, and back then, DSC was an option, not standard. :biggrin:

I WISH I had the option of turning off the traction control while still leaving the stability control on... but unfortunately it's all or nothing for us 1st Genners. :frown:

And I cheerfully and respectfully disagree with you, my friend. I do admit that they're very bright and very useful and I've thought of getting it in my new car. However the sharp cut-off is what concerns me, as I wouldn't be able to see what's just off the side of the road. Let me give you a bit of background. I'm an amateur astronomer so I often drive down backcountry roads with no street lights, and where I drive, deers abound and can bound into the road without looking both way (apparently their parents don't teach them that...:rofl: ) So that plus not wanting to PO my fellow astronomers when I come or leave is why I stick with the normal headlights.

Unless of course I'm possibly wrong in that the headlights don't give enough "side" light to see what might be just off the road?? I'm willing to reconsider if I can be sure that I'd be able to see just off the road (besides the cone of headlights).

I've never had a problem with that, personally. The beams in the Xenon headlights are actually not symmetrical - they deliberately have the passenger side beam taller (and off to the right more) than the driver's side beam, I believe specifically to assist the viewing of road signs and other roadside objects. The driver's side beam is cut much lower down, so that the driver in front of you doesn't get blasted in the rear view mirror (except over hilly roads, but that can't really be helped). They really are designed quite well IMO.

...I've never had a problem with that, personally. The beams in the Xenon headlights are actually not symmetrical - they deliberately have the passenger side beam taller (and off to the right more) than the driver's side beam, I believe specifically to assist the viewing of road signs and other roadside objects. The driver's side beam is cut much lower down, so that the driver in front of you doesn't get blasted in the rear view mirror (except over hilly roads, but that can't really be helped). They really are designed quite well IMO.

OK, that's interesting and good to know--I'll have to think fast on whether to change the order....hmmmm....

Thanks!

OK, that's interesting and good to know--I'll have to think fast on whether to change the order....hmmmm....
I'm sure there are a bunch of members who will be happy to give a personal demonstration one evening. You're welcome to inspect mine, too... although my MINI is a 1st Gen so you would be better served by checking out a 2nd Gen MINI with Xenons.

I'm sure there are a bunch of members who will be happy to give a personal demonstration one evening. You're welcome to inspect mine, too... although my MINI is a 1st Gen so you would be better served by checking out a 2nd Gen MINI with Xenons.

Yep--actually I decided to switch to Xenons, based on what you've told me. But I was too late though... :banghead: The car's already in production. :rock:

Next time I'll be sure to get Xenons--although hopefully that won't happen for a long time.

That was so much information. With the coupe there are not a whole lot of options on the dealership that I can drive (I was going to drive a S vs a JCW but they sold the JCW before I even had a shot at taking it out! I think the S will be fast enough considering how fast I got in 5th gear--much faster than my beloved 4Runner.) I will have to see what the dealership can let me try in the way of suspensions and wheels--due to the amount of highway driving I'm initially planning for the car I'm willing to take some hit on initial comfort if it increases my safety. The words on the stereo system is worth knowing--I would never have guessed although I should have how terrible an upgrade to them would have been.

It will be interesting going from massive normally rear wheel drive auto to tiny front wheel drive stick right as winter hits--am hoping that I don't hit a spot of black ice and kill both of us in the first week! We will definitely be joining DC Metro Minis--I am trying to get my cousin to join too.

I hope we were all helpful. What color are you ordering in?

You'll find that the MINI handling is great for highway driving. You'll get the acceleration that you need to get out of tight spots and it can hang back and relax when you want to also. The car is so responsive that you get a real connection when driving. Personally, I think Tigger isn't just a car, he has a personality. A lot of cars on the road are just cars, they go where you point them. MINIs leap at the chance to go have fun as it rips you through the road. You're going to love it!

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

My turn...

Hi and welcome...

Get the xenon headlights. (ADAPTIVE are even better) Worth every penny or pfennig, or pence it cost to design and install... people that say they're too bright or suggest the cut off is limiting, probably haven't used them at night. I will NEVER EVER have a car without them. (and again, adaptive are even better.)

Skip the sports suspension. There are much better aftermarket options.

If you need to keep the costs down skip the leather. The cloth seats are great. Skip the automatic. Unless you have to have one due to prosthetics...

I love my heated cloth seats...

Do they even have sunroofs? if they do skip that too...lol Unless you really like solar ovens...

Get the HK. It's not great, but it's way better than the non HK, and installing an aftermarket stereo is almost impossible. So you really have no other options.

17 vs 16's? They both work, I like the 17's. (but I have a set of 16" wheels with snow tires, the best of both worlds)

Auto AC vote here...Along with rain sensing wipers, and dimming mirrors.

Order the smartphone prep. You can't get it later.

Ok, you all confused now...lol

No matter what you get, you'll probably be really happy with it.

Welcome and motor on!

No matter where you go, there you are!