Scavenger

Brake Pad suggestions to reduce dust

I'm tired of dirty wheels!!! So, I think it's time to get some different brake pads to reduce the dirty wheel issue. Any suggestions?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I also run the Hawk Ceramics. And they are very good re: dusting. And they are quiet. Though I did have issues with them bedding correctly even though I followed their procedures to the "T". A couple of phone calls to Hawk got them to "admit" that they had issues with them bedding-in to brand new rotors. I thought that was odd, but after taking the pads off, and scuffing them and the rotors with 120 grit (as instructed by Hawk) they seem to be operating within spec. (if you want full disclosure PM me - it's a long tale!) I have not had the opportunity to track these pads yet, I did not have issue with my stock pads so I am hopeful that these will perform at least equal to them on the track.

ALSO - Although I mostly use Meguires car care products, I have found that Eagle One makes a good spray on "wheel wax". It does a REMARKABLE job IMHO. It comes in a yellow "Windex" style bottle.

If I were to find that these Hawk pads are problematic, I would revert to OEM pads and just use the Eagle One...it's that good.

-Ryan

I have the Hawks, too. Huge difference, as in, almost no dust.

I use Amour All wheel protectant and that stuff actually works. Very little dust and dirt stick to the wheels. You only put it on the wheels, not the tires, so nothing is shiny or sticky.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I also run the Hawk Ceramics. And they are very good re: dusting. And they are quiet. Though I did have issues with them bedding correctly even though I followed their procedures to the "T". A couple of phone calls to Hawk got them to "admit" that they had issues with them bedding-in to brand new rotors. I thought that was odd, but after taking the pads off, and scuffing them and the rotors with 120 grit (as instructed by Hawk) they seem to be operating within spec. (if you want full disclosure PM me - it's a long tale!) I have not had the opportunity to track these pads yet, I did not have issue with my stock pads so I am hopeful that these will perform at least equal to them on the track.

ALSO - Although I mostly use Meguires car care products, I have found that Eagle One makes a good spray on "wheel wax". It does a REMARKABLE job IMHO. It comes in a yellow "Windex" style bottle.

If I were to find that these Hawk pads are problematic, I would revert to OEM pads and just use the Eagle One...it's that good.

-Ryan

Where can I get some Eagle One?

Quitta

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Sounds like the Hawks are the ticket!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

Is it much of a job changing out the pads? Also did you do the front and back brakes?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myipictures/

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"

Is it much of a job changing out the pads? Also did you do the front and back brakes?

No, not really. If you're not mechnically inclined it will seem a little scary at first, but it's really one of the more simple things you can do. Fronts are the easiest, and the rears (at least on the R53) are a little tougher just because of the lack of slack in the brake lines.

Where can I get some Eagle One?

Quitta

It's pretty much available wherever you would buy your car cleaning supplies. I think Wal-Mart has it and of course Pep-Boys would surely have it. I THINK I picked up mine at Advance Auto last time (just because it's the closest place to my house to buy automotive what-have-you's)

I have the Hawks ceramic brake pads and combined with my Hyper Black rims I never notice the brake dust anymore.

Ali

where did you find the best prices on the Hawks pads?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"

Now I just need to identify the correct part numbers for the Hawk Ceramics for the 2006 JCW Brakes.

So far, research suggests these:

Front:

HB560Z.677

Back:

HB445Z.610

Any confirmation?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Now I just need to identify the correct part numbers for the Hawk Ceramics for the 2006 JCW Brakes.

Front:

HB560Z.677

Back:

HB445Z.610

Any confirmation?

I confirm your choice, 06 JWC S

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/compare/?R=Endeca.3927904256+Endeca.3538235392&B=L3NlYXJjaC8/c2VhcmNoVHlwZT1nbG9iYWwmTj0wJk50dD1oYXdrJnN1Ym1pdD0=

Front:

HB560Z.677

Back:

HB445Z.610

Any confirmation?

Hey Scavenger- i am at Mach V right now and saw this post as I am waiting for coilover install and Matt ( Mach V ) confirmed you numbers for thw Hawk ceramic pads. Good luck! MARK

PAZUZU

2009 JCW MellowYellow

KW variant 3 coilovers

22mm /XP10 pads

Double check and be sure they have the slot for the brake wear sensor, if you care. Back when I put mine on they had em for the front but not the back.

The ones that I got at Mach V did accommodate the brake wear sensors

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have the Hawks, too. Huge difference, as in, almost no dust.

+1:D

Almost 10k miles with these pads, and the dust problem went away. Mach V also installed DBA rotors for me last year, and I'm very pleased with the result.

Cool, I appreciate that!

Hey Scavenger- i am at Mach V right now and saw this post as I am waiting for coilover install and Matt ( Mach V ) confirmed you numbers for thw Hawk ceramic pads. Good luck! MARK

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com