Isadinho

Starting Issues

So in about the last week or so my car has been starting with some trouble, it has been kinda delayed and I was wondering since the car is around 60k if it was time for new spark plugs, and hopefully not something more problematic like the ignition system...any body else experience this?

p.o.r( when I got the car, it took maybe 1 sec. to start; now its more like 4 sec...)

06' MCS Chilli Red... K&N PF

So in about the last week or so my car has been starting with some trouble, it has been kinda delayed and I was wondering since the car is around 60k if it was time for new spark plugs, and hopefully not something more problematic like the ignition system...any body else experience this?

p.o.r( when I got the car, it took maybe 1 sec. to start; now its more like 4 sec...)

Hmm - this sounds a lot like the failing fuel pump problem that our esteemed President (GreenCactus / Laura) just had with her MINI, Cricket. She took it in for service this week, they replaced the fuel pump (I believe the warranty has been extended for this specific issue), and the problem has gone away.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to have a real MINI mechanic look at it!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I think the fuel pump problem is limited to us 2nd Gen folks although you just never know until you've started diagnosing thing.

What kind of trouble has it been giving when it's not wanting to start up and purr like a kitten? How does it run once it's started? Is it only with cold starts or after it's warm as well?

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I think the fuel pump problem is limited to us 2nd Gen folks although you just never know until you've started diagnosing thing.
Doh! Serves me right for not paying full attention. :stupido3:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Ummmm, did we just catch Haemish SKIMMING!!!! Where's Ali when you need her!

Actually Haemish, I had to go back to another post with pictures to make sure.

Edited by cmcveay
added punctuation and the letter "I"!

Ummmm, did we just catch Haemish SKIMMING!!!! Where's Ali when you need her!

Actually Haemish had to go back to another post with pictures to make sure.

I'm just super tired. Worked a 17 hour day yesterday - got home at around 4:30am. :stoned:

Get some sleep man! I had to edit my post - I had to go back and check a post with pictures to make sure. :)

Get some sleep man! I had to edit my post - I had to go back and check a post with pictures to make sure. :)
I have to finish the work tonight first!

I actually confirmed by looking at his user profile. Also, I should have known anyway since I just recently offered Saad (Isadinho) a ride in my MINI so he could see what the RMW tune feels like in a 1st Gen.

Yup - I am blaming the lack of sleep. :embarassed:

What kind of trouble has it been giving when it's not wanting to start up and purr like a kitten? How does it run once it's started? Is it only with cold starts or after it's warm as well?

No other trouble except the start, once its running she drives amazing, its just getting her going in the morning. I do have a 2 year warranty on the car so I'm thinking ill just take her in and see.

It'd be my first service, how much do they charge for diagnosis?

No other trouble except the start, once its running she drives amazing, its just getting her going in the morning. I do have a 2 year warranty on the car so I'm thinking ill just take her in and see.

It'd be my first service, how much do they charge for diagnosis?

It could be a lot of things. From something simple like a battery that is slowly dying to a leaking injector. (I had a hard starting issue last summer that was due to a leaking injector)

Has your check engine light come on at all?

It's going to be $100 +/- $20 for diagnostic at the dealer - I don't really remember it's been a long while.

It could be a lot of things. From something simple like a battery that is slowly dying to a leaking injector. (I had a hard starting issue last summer that was due to a leaking injector)

Has your check engine light come on at all?

It's going to be $100 +/- $20 for diagnostic at the dealer - I don't really remember it's been a long while.

No check engine light

No check engine light

Again, it could be many things - I don't recall ever hearing of a common hard start issue with the R53.

I'm 1.5 hours to the nearest dealer, so I always explore before I take it to the dealer. You guys have a (relative) plethora of dealerships to choose from so you might just want to take it in.

If you have an autoparts store near by you could take in to see if the charging system is operating within spec. They normally do that for free.

Well, that might be a sign! If you can get it jump started, most auto parts places can do a stress test on the battery. If it's not holding a charge or if it's dropped a cell, there's a chance that it just doesn't have enough "umpf" to turn the engine over and start it right away. Sucks that the lights got left on and all but hopefully, something good will come of it.

I would look closely at your battery. My 2006 was doing the same thing and a replacement battery was the fix. If it is the battery, it will begin to take longer and longer to start. Costco has a direct replacment for the MINI battery for a whole lot less than the dealer.

I second this!

I would look closely at your battery. My 2006 was doing the same thing and a replacement battery was the fix. If it is the battery, it will begin to take longer and longer to start. Costco has a direct replacment for the MINI battery for a whole lot less than the dealer.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

You guys are such bandwagon trouble shooters! You suck! :)

Go back to post #14 and I put the battery option on the table!

It'll be good to hear what the resolution was.

Thanks for the costco tip, I might end up going there this weekend. It sounds like it has a few more starts in it, but I'd rather be on the safer side of things. Plus Costco has a 3 year warranty on the battery so its not really a bad deal:top:

You guys are such bandwagon trouble shooters! You suck! :)

Go back to post #14 and I put the battery option on the table!

It'll be good to hear what the resolution was.

...And I'll refer back to my posts 10 and 12. :wink:

Have you had the autoparts store folks check out the battery/charging system? Sounds like a battery, but I'd hate to buy a battery and that NOT be the issue. :)

Over the last month or so, with increasing frequency, it has been harder for me to get my 2007 MCSm started in the morning. The first 1 or 2 times I tried to start, it would sounds/feel like it's not getting enough gas or just real slow to get going and then dies--sometimes I have to pump the gas to make sure it get enough gas. I've checked ScanGaugeII for any error code (none). I'm not sure if it's the battery, because I do get the lights, etc, when I push in the fob. Also I don't think it take "longer" to start, just that the engeine don't crank enough or enough, but not just going from not enough to enough, if that makes sense? I need to remember to check the voltage via ScanGauge before starting though--anyone remember the normal voltage of battery at rest before startup?

Fuel pump is among my suspicions--anyone know how much it might cost? The odd thing is once it get started, it's usually fine the rest of the day and I rarely have the same problem when I go home from work.

Guess I'll have to stop by AutoZone or something similar and have them check the battery first. Any thoughts or experience? My dealer is PMoA, only half-mile away from where I live ;)

Spark plugs! I had the same issue and replaced them all. BLUR starts up like a champ now.

Edited by FAST060
Typo

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Over the last month or so, with increasing frequency, it has been harder for me to get my 2007 MCSm started in the morning. The first 1 or 2 times I tried to start, it would sounds/feel like it's not getting enough gas or just real slow to get going and then dies--sometimes I have to pump the gas to make sure it get enough gas. I've checked ScanGaugeII for any error code (none). I'm not sure if it's the battery, because I do get the lights, etc, when I push in the fob. Also I don't think it take "longer" to start, just that the engeine don't crank enough or enough, but not just going from not enough to enough, if that makes sense? I need to remember to check the voltage via ScanGauge before starting though--anyone remember the normal voltage of battery at rest before startup?

Fuel pump is among my suspicions--anyone know how much it might cost? The odd thing is once it get started, it's usually fine the rest of the day and I rarely have the same problem when I go home from work.

Guess I'll have to stop by AutoZone or something similar and have them check the battery first. Any thoughts or experience? My dealer is PMoA, only half-mile away from where I live ;)

It sounds like what happened to Cricket at the Dragon. It was the high pressure fuel pump. The good news is that MINI extended the warranty on that part to 10 years or 110,000 miles. Passport replaced it for me at no charge.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

It sounds like what happened to Cricket at the Dragon. It was the high pressure fuel pump. The good news is that MINI extended the warranty on that part to 10 years or 110,000 miles. Passport replaced it for me at no charge.

Hi, I think that's what it is now....I checked the battery's voltage this morning, and it was 11.8, normal for nonactive battery. Also the engine did start immediately, but then ran very low RPM while trying to get itself going--as if it wasn't getting enough fuel.

I do remember vaguely getting a letter from MINI about some part being extended a longer warranty--will have to dig it out of the paper pile. :embarassed:

Thanks everyone! :rock: