RyanMBlue

Exterior Mod Newbie

A couple questions for anyone who has done these types of exterior mods.

For christmas I got myself 2 items to put on my currently stock MINI.

1. A factory blackout grille

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=85660

2. LED Side Markers

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=91421

Has anyone had experience with this type of stuff? I am not a "car person", as it were, but I am pretty decent at figuring things like this out. Is this going to be an easy project, or will it take some know-how and/or tools.

Edit: If it matters, I have a '09 MCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryan,

Give me a shout via PM if the steps below give you problems, I've done both - a few times.

To pull the grill, pop the bonnet open and across the top of it are 3 or 4 plastic fasteners. The center pin pulls out and the rest of it will stay with the grill but it'll come out of the bracket. Along the bottom of the grill (the side towards the engine, there are 4 or so plastic "tabs". Because I've got thick hands, I have a hard time reaching into the small gap so I use a long pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the two side of the tab together and it backs out of the slot. To pull the chrome strip from the bottom of the grill, it's got a series of little tabs that go through the grill to hold it in place. To replace the chrome across the top of the grill, there are 4 screws that hold it in place.

For the side markers, keep the bonnet open. Each of the side markers slides towards the front of the car. Use two hands with firm but controlled pressure. They'll slide forward about a 1/2 inch and you'll scare the heck out of yourself on the first time you pull one off 'cause you'll think you broke the car! Once they slide forward, they come straight out from the B panel. If it's the LED side marker lights from OutMotoring, the OEM light fixtures are held in by little metal clips on the back side of the marker light assembly. Squeeze 'em, pop 'em out and pop in the new lights. The plug from the new lights plugs into the socket that the OEM bulb was using. Align the locking tabs with the slots in the fender, put them in and push it back. You'll get a good "clunk" as it goes back into place. Once you've got them installed, have someone get in your car and start it up. With the LED's, you can actually see the body control module to a bulb check as they'll flash 3-4 times. The OEM bulbs don't react to the small voltage signal but the LED's will.

Good luck with it!

Edited by cmcveay

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

2. LED Side Markers

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=91421

Has anyone had experience with this type of stuff?

I took some pictures when I replaced the side scuttles and swapped the side markers if you're looking for another reference point. Like Craig said, when they first pop out it sounds like you broke something

http://techometerblog.com/2011/02/07/mini-mods-black-side-marker-housings/

Let me know what you think of the LED side markers, it's one of my next planned mods

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

I'm pretty sure you'll like the look of the LED side marker lights.

The first time I blacked out my grill, I used plasti-dip and that worked really well. Then, I wrapped the chrome surrounds in matte black vinyl and did the headlight rings too.

If you need help (email, phone or in person), don't hesitate to get in touch.

I just received the blackout grill trim for my JCW from MACH V -I will put it on this week. I will look for you pics.

I probably won't get around to it until I get off of my 4 day set of 12 hour shifts...AKA Tuesday morning.. and last I read it is supposed to rain on Tuesday, so I may wait until Wednesday. I will post when I get it done!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So got the LED signals installed this afternoon. Still need to go to the hardware store and get some silicone for the grille installation.

I love the LED Turn Signals though. They seem to stand out a lot better since they are on a black background instead of clear/shiny.

Links to video goodness!

Before- Standard signals (in daylight)

BtANxq8SoTQOvQwlG1gWSQ?feat=directlinkIMG_7855.JPG

After- LED Signals (in daylight)

RItle7KQhX4LHBBkBDJ7Fg?feat=directlinkIMG_7851.JPGig

The real test will be tonight when I check it out when it is dark :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mods # 1 and #2 complete...

This morning I did the LED blinkers, as shown above.

Just finished putting in the blackout grille. I like it a lot...

Unfortunately, this makes me want to blackout my headlight trim, as well... (possible the MINI badge... is that even possible?) (Read: Easily possible)

BEFORE-

IMG_7864.JPG

AFTER-

IMG_7866.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yarsay,

The LED side markers work just fine, no bulb warnings. One "fun" thing they do is to flash when the body control module goes through the bulb check. The standard bulbs don't react to the low voltage level so they don't do anything but the LED's do light up so you get a little triple flash when you start it up.

Ryan, if you want to try your hand at vinyl, the headlight rings aren't all that hard and I have templates hanging on the wall. Now, I haven't tried to pull the front emblem but I'm told that it's not pegged behind it and it's just body molding tape that holds it on. I haven't tried it yet so I can't confirm that. The rear MINI logo DOES have a peg and a hole through the body.

I am contemplating pulling both of them off this weekend and blacking them out with either vinyl or plasti-dip. If I get to that, I'll let you know. I do have 3M brand body molding tape to put the parts back and if it works, you are welcome to some for yours as well.

Be careful with the black out, it's like an illness and you'll find it hard to stop!

I also have vinyl that's an almost exact match for the pebbled surface of the dash. I've covered the door to the secret compartment with it.

Like Craig said, I have had no issues with the LEDs causing bulb out warnings. They are working just fine. It took me all of about 5-10 minutes to do the LED install, as well. Go outside and get it done! Feel free to ask about anything if you get stuck. There are some parts that seem confusing but really aren't...

Craig,

Let me know how the blacking of the emblems goes. I may be interested in that, depending on how it looks. I may be interested in the vinyl for the headlight rings as well. I haven't decided if I like the chrome on the headlight rings since the grills is now black.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Like Craig said, I have had no issues with the LEDs causing bulb out warnings. They are working just fine. It took me all of about 5-10 minutes to do the LED install, as well. Go outside and get it done! Feel free to ask about anything if you get stuck. There are some parts that seem confusing but really aren't...

Craig,

Let me know how the blacking of the emblems goes. I may be interested in that, depending on how it looks. I may be interested in the vinyl for the headlight rings as well. I haven't decided if I like the chrome on the headlight rings since the grills is now black.

It took me a matter a minutes to decide that the headlight rings need to be black after blacking out the grill. I just have to find the time to do it; either vinyl or plasti-dip.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Plasti-dip is a fast, safe way to try it out. You can always peel it back off if you don't like it.

Vinyl is also safe but it's not fast and it takes some work to get it right.

It looks great!!

You've now been bit, you will be modding forever, it never ends. Just one little tweak and it will be perfect, until you think of the next thing....

Don't worry, we're all here for you to help you keep the ideas rolling. :biggrin:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

It looks great!!

You've now been bit, you will be modding forever, it never ends. Just one little tweak and it will be perfect, until you think of the next thing....

Don't worry, we're all here for you to help you keep the ideas rolling. :biggrin:

This place is like the opposite of AA....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come on in... and bring your wallet :biggrin:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com