Scavenger

Mods on the Dragon - Caution

All,

Just a quick word concerning mods installed at MOTD. We've probably all had at least one of some description while at MOTD. There's a reason I'm posting this...

I'm getting my MINI serviced and they've just discovered a missing bolt that explains a rattle that I've had for a while now. This is a bolt associated with a mod I got at MOTD last May.

So, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting mods, BUT, at least try to learn as much as you can about the potential mod and understand what it involves and how long it might take. If you choose to get a mod, don't be afraid to ask the vendor to check and re-check for missing parts, loose bolts, general "work-quality".

The MOTD vendor area can become very chaotic at times, and while many vendors are willing to take on very large jobs - brakes, sway-bars, cylinder heads, often bragging they can do it very quickly - pulleys in 10 minutes!! Even the most experienced technician can make a mistake in that sort of environment.

The last place you want to find out that a mod was not installed properly is ON THE DRAGON!! :embarassed:

So, just be cautious and informed. Enjoy MOTD!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Yeah I was a little nervous when my mini was torn apart for sway bar and short throw shifter, but I would recommend chad at detriot tuning. He even retorqued my wheels for me a couple of times. He told me that driving the dragon hard you should check your wheel bolt torques everyday there. I will try to bring one with me for our club this year.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hrmmm, I see how this could be really sketchy. . .brings a whole new meaning to shade tree mechanic, but even the reputable guys make mistakes. . .especially with a line and the pressure to rush.

I would like to know how to do a pulley in 10min, wow!

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

All,

Just a quick word concerning mods installed at MOTD. We've probably all had at least one of some description while at MOTD. There's a reason I'm posting this...

I'm getting my MINI serviced and they've just discovered a missing bolt that explains a rattle that I've had for a while now. This is a bolt associated with a mod I got at MOTD last May.

So, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting mods, BUT, at least try to learn as much as you can about the potential mod and understand what it involves and how long it might take. If you choose to get a mod, don't be afraid to ask the vendor to check and re-check for missing parts, loose bolts, general "work-quality".

The MOTD vendor area can become very chaotic at times, and while many vendors are willing to take on very large jobs - brakes, sway-bars, cylinder heads, often bragging they can do it very quickly - pulleys in 10 minutes!! Even the most experienced technician can make a mistake in that sort of environment.

The last place you want to find out that a mod was not installed properly is ON THE DRAGON!! :embarassed:

So, just be cautious and informed. Enjoy MOTD!

I bet it was Way. Mr 10 min sway Way. :rofl:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was the little strap for the belt tensioner. One of the bolts fell out, PMoA suspected lack of Loc-Tite when it was reinstalled. We can only speculate though.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I was there for the 10 minute swap since it was my MINI :biggrin:

Jay was correct that it was Way from Way Motor Works :top: He has done so many that knows the tricks for a quick install. I was a little nervous about the fast swap but he said he tripled checked all bolts.

It has almost been a year and I have had no issues except for the big :biggrin: when the supercharger starts whining.

I do agree with Scavenger about being " cautious and informed " about your installer.

Enjoy MOTD!

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Before arrows start flying about one vendor over another, it should be noted that professional mechanics in their own shop with every tool they could possibly need are known to make mistakes and mechanical devices/fasteners can fail, loosen and fall out despite any precaution that may be taken. You can try to stop 'em but it doesn't always work.

The best advice I can give for having mods done at the Dragon (or anywhere else for that matter) would be to ask questions. At the Dragon, stay and watch the work as it's done! You can't do that at the dealership, they won't even let you get close to the work.

None of the vendors at the Dragon want to have anything go wrong because it's their reputation on the line and they do value that a great deal.

If I remember correctly, several of us were scrambling to find bolts for another DCMM member because they were having work done down there and found that there was a problem that they'd driven down there with. I don't think the original work was done at the Dragon but my memory fails me at that point.

Just my .02 on it.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I agree :top: 100% with Craig's sense or 2 cents are he stated!

I had actually read a lot of good things about Way so the decision to allow him to do the pulley install was easy.

Always do your research whenever you chose a shop or person you work on your beloved MINI or actually anything you are having work done on.

Any warning is to watch out for OCMMD (Obsessive Compulsive MINI Modding Disorder...) because it came be contagious :biggrin:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Thanks Brian! And thanks for giving my new license plates a free plug there too! :) (yes, that's me using an emoticon)

How many days till the Dragon now???

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

OK here is my two cents. At the Dragon last year it was Waylon from Way Motor works who discoverd the dealership had left the plastic shipping blocks in my front suspension while he was changing my engine mount! My hats off to Way Motor Works and by backside and kidneys are much happier too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]