cmcveay

Tires?

I need new summer tires in the Spring, why did you pick these? I'm thinking of just going with the Continentals again but would love to hear more about people's thoughts on various summer tires. I'd like something sticky enough to help in autocross, but I really don't want to buy a new pair every year if I can help it.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Had my wheels (OEM 17" R112 Challenge) and non-RFT's (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus) installed this morning at MOCO (thanks Celia for all of your assistance :rock:), just in time for C3M's Toys for Tot's Run tomorrow :motor:

While I was waiting my Sharkfin scuttles came in...and I'm thinking about a Big-Brake kit (one reason for OEM wheels)...

I think I have JCW-envy :embarassed:

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I need new summer tires in the Spring, why did you pick these? I'm thinking of just going with the Continentals again but would love to hear more about people's thoughts on various summer tires. I'd like something sticky enough to help in autocross, but I really don't want to buy a new pair every year if I can help it.

One of my friends had continental extreme contact dws, and he recommended them but I thought I'd try something different.

Edit: I placed my order with Tire Rack for my Hankook Ventus V4 yesterday afternoon and just got them in right now. That is some fast shipping!

Can anyone recommend a place to have them installed for a decent price?

image-13.jpg.a6192ca1ca68a0b7ecf8644339d07348.jpg

image-13.jpg.a6192ca1ca68a0b7ecf8644339d07348.jpg

Edited by 68wmcs

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!

They're ultra High performance all season tires

They look good - you'll have to let me know how they are because I'm looking for some tires.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

I haven't done a speed/cornering test but I can tell you they don't make noise like my old set of tires did. Enjoying them so far. I also ordered adjustable control arms to fix the camber.

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!

Mr Brown came yesterday, bringing a set of Conti DWS & Koseis from the nice people at Tire Rack.

205-55-16 on 16x7.5 K4R

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

Last summer, switched to Conti Extreme Contact, 205 45 17 from Tire Rack shipped to Mach V and installed. Worked out great all the way around. Mach V even saved me a couple bucks by rebuilding two of the tire pressure sensors instead of replacing.

Tires are quiet, responsive and increased steering torque due to increased traction. Recovery after breaking loose is rather quick. Added ceramic brake pads at same time, so stopping power is attributed to a combination of factors.

Ok, so, I've got to get new tires, and I've been running Pirelli P-Zero Runflats. So, I just looked them up on Tirerack, and my mind is blown! They are selling for $131.00 a piece ($524.00 a set of 4)!!! I'm not sure how long that price will go, but seems really good!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Ok, so, I've got to get new tires, and I've been running Pirelli P-Zero Runflats. So, I just looked them up on Tirerack, and my mind is blown! They are selling for $131.00 a piece ($524.00 a set of 4)!!! I'm not sure how long that price will go, but seems really good!

That sounds crazy cheap for runflats

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

So far, so good with the Contis. Got up our snow-coated driveway without issues. Sport mode makes it easier to drive slow.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

just some common knowledge, summer tires do NOT work in snow!

one of the sales guys just took delivery of his brand new R56 two weeks ago and didnt order it with the all seasons and slid into a curb yesterday trying to make a turn in the parking lot. his brand new MINI with less then 200 miles now needs a new bumper (awaiting further investigation if there is more damage). ATTENTION newbs! All ordered cars come standard with summer tires unless specified otherwise, if you dont know what kind of tires you have check before you venture into the snow! if you have summers the snow will win!

All the summer tires I know about say not to use them below 40 degrees.
Yep, but some people just don't listen. <shaking head>

The rubber in summer tires is not designed for colder temps. It turns brittle and loses a lot of its traction qualities when it gets cold... even on dry pavement!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I have one (1) used Continental 16" All Season tire "ContiProContact SSR", 195/55R 16 87V with about 9k mile on it and about 5/32 or 6/32 of tread remaining for a good home. If anyone is running these OEM tires and would like a FREE back-up / replacement for a damaged tire please let me know.

I bought this one to replace a tire that I got a non-repairable flat in when leaving PoA MINI after the Halloween party in 2012 and it has usable life left. I hate to see it go to trash. Let me know and it is yours. I can deliver in much of MoCo or NoVa (McLean to Herndon) areas or arrange a meet up. Let me know.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Celia knows, but don't tell Ernie that I ordered his 2 year old birthday present this afternoon. I ordered a set of 17" Crown Spokes (#104 in white) and matching TPSs this afternoon while at MINI of MoCo. Ernie thought he was going in for a check up.

A set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3, 205/45ZR17, (not Super Sports and not run flats) came from TireRack this afternoon. They will be mounted and balanced in time for his 2nd birthday in April. Even though they will probably be on him before then.

59cedb70366e8_CrownSpoke36116769412.jpg.ba8d697b02c8624b87d26e6c3b2352c4.jpg

59cedb70366e8_CrownSpoke36116769412.jpg.ba8d697b02c8624b87d26e6c3b2352c4.jpg

Edited by Bert

Celia knows, but don't tell Ernie that I ordered his 2 year old birthday present this afternoon. I ordered a set of 17" Crown Spokes (#104 in white) and matching TPSs this afternoon while at MINI of MoCo. Ernie thought he was going in for a check up.

A set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3, 205/45ZR17, (not Super Sports and not run flats) came from TireRack this afternoon. They will be mounted and balanced in time for his 2nd birthday in April. Even though they will probably be on him before then.

:top:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Hi guys, does anyone have the gear to mount and balance tires? Garage Mahal???

That's some pricey equipment. Erin, not sure the area you are at, but at the auto hobby shop here on quantico it is 14 bucks a tire, 18 for low profile. I am not sure the side wall height that separates standard and low profile.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

That's some pricey equipment. Erin, not sure the area you are at, but at the auto hobby shop here on quantico it is 14 bucks a tire, 18 for low profile. I am not sure the side wall height that separates standard and low profile.

Ooo, I totally forgot about the auto hobby shops. Good call!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ooo, I totally forgot about the auto hobby shops. Good call!

TireRack.com has a Recommended Installer page that you can use as a reference: http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

The installers have a set TireRack rate. You can look at the reviews and the equipment that they have in their shops. If you are running low profile run flats on expensive rims you want to make sure that they have a newer mounting machine that can handle the job without damaging anything.

I used NTB in McLean for 3 cars over the past 3 months and I am very happy with their service… so far.

I am having MINI of MoCo mount my new 17" summer set from TireRack to the new wheels that I have ordered through MINI of MoCo. The MINI dealerships are more expensive but they have the right equipment. Also, btwn saving money through TireRack, the DCMM discount at MINI of MoCo, and getting a good deal on the wheels, TPSs, and stems from a beautiful Parts person (Thank you!), I don't mind paying a little more for the my home dealership service. I know that I can take it back if they screw up toe assembly, mounting, and balancing.

we do mount and balance at PTUNING :)

I know :) , we are trying to get my hubs some new tires but on the cheap for his nissan truck. He was just trying to cut some corners. He is freaking out a bit on costs with our transfer and all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I finished a little project yesterday to get Ernie's extra set of tires up and out of the way in the garage. I took inspiration from a few images on the internet and built a wood frame, wall mounted, tire storage rack. It is built with deck screws, reinforced with deck hangers, lagged into the wall, and has wire cable supports.

As usual, it took longer than expected but I like the result. Yes, that is an old pink pool float tube that has been repurposed to protect the wheel finish.